Javascript won't work

Posted by: tahir

Javascript won't work - 12/06/2006 16:29

Why won't javascript on this board work for me? I'm running FF 1.5.0.4 on Win2K with Sun Java v 1.5.0.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Javascript won't work - 12/06/2006 18:11

I don't know. I'm running 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP and everything on this board works fine for me.

Quote:
with Sun Java v 1.5.0.

This has nothing to do with javascript except for the letters J, A, V, and A in the name.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Javascript won't work - 12/06/2006 20:12

Quote:
I don't know. I'm running 1.5.0.4 on Windows XP and everything on this board works fine for me.

What happens if you double-click in the post editing area (the one I'm typing into right now)? I'd expect it to select the word I double-clicked on, but in IE, I'm getting a JavaScript error. I wonder if it's an IE-ism, or if it's actually broken?
Posted by: Roger

Re: Javascript won't work - 12/06/2006 20:14

Quote:
...I'd expect it to select the word I double-clicked on, but in IE, I'm getting a JavaScript error. I wonder if it's an IE-ism, or if it's actually broken?

Scratch that. It's an IE-ism, works fine in FF 1.5.0.3. Specifically which bit of Javascript on the board is broken, anyway?

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 07:44

Quote:
Specifically which bit of Javascript on the board is broken, anyway?

Not saying it's broken, just doesn't work for me. In the "Reply to" box I can't get the smilies or Instant UBB Code to work, clicking on them does nothing (in IE & FF) hovering over the smilies shows "javascript:void(0)" and the UBB code "javascript: x()"

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 07:45

Quote:
This has nothing to do with javascript except for the letters J, A, V, and A in the name.

Right, so where and how does javascript work? (Never understood it or Java)
Posted by: furtive

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 08:28

It doesn't work for me either.
I get an "Error on page" error in the status bar

Line: 155
Char: 1
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 10:32

Is this perhaps a BBS error since the upgrade?
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 12:20

I'm not sure when the upgrade was, but the smilies haven't worked for me for a few weeks.
I've been getting the correct symbols from the pop-up notes.

Everything else seems to work for me in firefox.

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 12:49

Quote:
Everything else seems to work for me in firefox.

Can you do a linky (or anything else in the UBB Code box)?

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 13:18

The upgrade was a few weeks back. The instant UBB code hasn't worked from that date in Firefox. I've yet to try with IE.

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 13:20

You can do links and images etc but you have to manually type in the code.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 13:40

Quote:
Right, so where and how does javascript work? (Never understood it or Java)

Javascript lives purely in the browser and is not added to the browser by any plugin (java plugin, flash, etc). Proper history, including how it is an offspin of ECMAScript at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 13:45

Quote:
Can you do a linky (or anything else in the UBB Code box)?

Oh- no. I didn't notice that I couldn't because I've always just added that manually anyway.
None of "Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code Font color" work for me, either.
Posted by: peter

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 13:58

Quote:
Proper history, including how it is an offspin of ECMAScript

I can't find a definition of "offspin" except in the cricketing sense, so maybe it does indeed mean the reverse of "spinoff", but just for certainty's sake, Javascript was lashed together at Netscape, and only later standardised as ECMAScript. ECMAScript compliance only, without reimplementing all the Netscape Javascript foibles, is not good enough for real-world web browsers.

Peter

Re: Javascript won't work - 13/06/2006 14:13

Quote:
Quote:
Proper history, including how it is an offspin of ECMAScript

I can't find a definition of "offspin" except in the cricketing sense, so maybe it does indeed mean the reverse of "spinoff", but just for certainty's sake, Javascript was lashed together at Netscape, and only later standardised as ECMAScript. ECMAScript compliance only, without reimplementing all the Netscape Javascript foibles, is not good enough for real-world web browsers.

Thanks guys