The Linux command line

Posted by: mlord

The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 11:52

I may be instructing a few sessions of a "command-line Linux" course this summer. I am thinking of including a slide with this quotation from a /. thread about how Linux is too male oriented for government work:
Quote:

Re:Women and Linux - My Experience
(Score:5, Funny)
by faraway (174370) on Thursday June 15, @11:32PM (#15546240)

I was going to say; the command line can let you express feelings. But then I caught myself. The only feelings I could express at the command line were male feelings after all. unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep -- More proof Linux is sexist!

Whadayathink? Would this go over like a BSOD or what?
Posted by: jmwking

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 11:55

Love it!

-jk
Posted by: Schido

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 12:07

Are you going to wear this t-shirt too?

Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 13:18

Classic!!! Have the slide ready with you. When you get to the class, you will know just looking at the crowd how well it will work (or not).

EDIT: I just realized how old I am getting. When I read this and responded, I was actually thinking in terms of physical slides, projectors, "viewgraphs" or "transparencies", etc. <shudder>
Posted by: andy

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 13:57

Quote:
I just realized how old I am getting. When I read this and responded, I was actually thinking in terms of physical slides, projectors, "viewgraphs" or "transparencies", etc. <shudder>

Yeah, we all know that Mark will be using PowerPoint
Posted by: peter

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 14:01

Quote:
Classic!!!

Classic, but not vintage -- Google Groups doesn't show it in anyone's sig before 1997...

Peter
Posted by: mlord

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 19:07

Quote:
Quote:
Classic!!!

Classic, but not vintage -- Google Groups doesn't show it in anyone's sig before 1997...

Peter

Yeah, I might add to it a bit -- after all, the original seems to have ignored head and tail, among others!
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: The Linux command line - 16/06/2006 22:29

And, of course, after the sleep command there really should be a who.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: The Linux command line - 18/06/2006 04:13

[quoteLinux is too male oriented for government work:
Quote:

Re:Women and Linux - My Experience
(Score:5, Funny)
by faraway (174370) on Thursday June 15, @11:32PM (#15546240)

I was going to say; the command line can let you express feelings. But then I caught myself. The only feelings I could express at the command line were male feelings after all. unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep -- More proof Linux is sexist!

Hmm... if it's sexist from a male point of view, then it's sexist from a gay male point of view -- there's a "man" command, but no "woman" command.