The shed is dead

Posted by: thinfourth2

The shed is dead - 16/06/2006 17:15

For those of you that saw my faithful BMW it is sad to say that it has died.
it has left its last little pile of soot

All praise the new shed

Ain't got an empeg in it yet
Posted by: sein

Re: The shed is dead - 16/06/2006 18:29

That defender looks mean! I love it!
It needs some mud to complete the look though, it is a bit clean
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: The shed is dead - 16/06/2006 18:57

damn you. i want a d90 so badly.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: The shed is dead - 16/06/2006 19:13

I like these trucks so much. Aren't they chronically needing an engine rebuild, though?

Cool beast.
Posted by: julf

Re: The shed is dead - 17/06/2006 06:32

Quote:
Aren't they chronically needing an engine rebuild, though?

The TD5 is considered extremely reliable as long as it is maintained properly.

Re: The shed is dead - 17/06/2006 06:33

Quote:
It needs some mud to complete the look though, it is a bit clean

Available in spray cans at any Land Rover Lifestyle Store.
Posted by: tahir

Re: The shed is dead - 18/06/2006 05:35

I'm thinking of getting a Landie, need something to get around the farm a bit more rapidly.

Re: The shed is dead - 18/06/2006 15:55

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a Landie, need something to get around the farm a bit more rapidly.

I think you are about 20 years to late - that's when they turned from real farm tools to "lifestyle" vehicles.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 03:45

they may be lifestyle vehicles but they are pretty handing offroad

Of course if i have a car that can be entered into an event competitively then i will enter it So that is me taking part in a RTV trial

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 05:56

Quote:
Of course if i have a car that can be entered into an event competitively then i will enter it So that is me taking part in a RTV trial

Excellent! Looks like good [but not so clean] fun. Oh, and things to watch for: one rear half-shaft snapped on the Pinkie during the weekend, so now I (temporarily) have a front-wheel-driven Land Rover.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 07:36

Quote:
I think you are about 20 years to late - that's when they turned from real farm tools to "lifestyle" vehicles.

20 years ago I didn't even have a garden. I just need something with 5 seats and maybe a pickup to get me up and down the hill.
Posted by: pedrohoon

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 08:18

Quote:

I just need something with 5 seats and maybe a pickup to get me up and down the hill.

One like this.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 08:27

Yeah, haven't seen a 130 on Landrover's UK site. Anyway not enough dosh for a new one yet, need to buy a tractor first.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 08:40

Yeah, they are only available here on special order: 4-6 month wait.

Useful vehicle though.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 10:01

There is one for sale here. It looks lovely. It says "Mainly motorway miles", which is a bit of a strange use for a Defender. Probably why he is selling it I guess.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 10:12

Quote:
Yeah, they are only available here on special order: 4-6 month wait.

Useful vehicle though.

Just found it, £27845.00 with no extras!!!!

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 10:16

Quote:
There is one for sale here. It looks lovely. It says "Mainly motorway miles", which is a bit of a strange use for a Defender. Probably why he is selling it I guess.

Nice but if I was getting a "station wagon" I'd probably get a a Merc G wagen (old shape), excellent vehicle.

Anyway all hypotheticals, need to get a tractor first.

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 15:44

Quote:
Yeah, haven't seen a 130 on Landrover's UK site.

Look at ex-military sites for "Rapier tractor" - it's the 127 in Land Rover (civilians seem to round up to 130 ) in a military version, for transporting Rapier missiles.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: The shed is dead - 19/06/2006 19:03

So - Paul - coming to the meet? Or will you be on a Huge Floaty Thing again?

Re: The shed is dead - 20/06/2006 10:14

Quote:
a military version, for transporting Rapier missiles.

Err, very handy, thanks...

Re: The shed is dead - 20/06/2006 13:44

Quote:
Err, very handy, thanks...

Well, while a Rapier missile might come in handy every now and then, you actually don't get them with the Land Rover. The Rapier Land Rover is just a standard 127/130, but you can get them cheaper than from your local Land Rover dealer... Unless you want a brand spanking new one, of course.

Re: The shed is dead - 20/06/2006 14:22

At this point I'm still working 6 days a week so any machinery I buy HAS to work first time every time, ain't got the time to deal with stuff that doesn't so I'm not looking at secondhand Landies (even though I'd love one)

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 06:28

Quote:
At this point I'm still working 6 days a week so any machinery I buy HAS to work first time every time, ain't got the time to deal with stuff that doesn't so I'm not looking at secondhand Landies (even though I'd love one)

Then I would drop new Landies off the list too

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 07:32

Really?
Posted by: andy

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 08:41

I hired a Land Rover Discovery a few years ago. When we picked it up it had only a couple of hundred miles on the clock.

A couple of hours and two hundred miles later several significant bits of trim had fallen off and all the lights apart from the hazards had failed (in thick fog of course). Presumably it was built on a Friday afternoon.

I have heard that quality has improved since...

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 09:43

The only other large double cab pick up appears to be the Ford one (the name escapes me right now), it's cheap too. Anbody know much about them?

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 10:56

Ford F250

By all accounts they ride well despite being leaf sprung, due to the long wheelbase and wide track.
They certainly have plenty of power with a 7.3L turbo diesel V8 but they can be a bit thirsty if you use all the power for heavy towing. Also the HEUI fuel injectors cost more than the crown jewels to replace when they wear out.

Personally I don't like the Ford V8 diesel engine, only because it is a messy looking engine in terms of the way the accessories are hung off the block, an inline 6 cylinder is a lot neater.
Ford used to offer a 4.2L six here but discontinued it a few years back.

I like the auto gearbox though - good for sand and mud!

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 11:31

This is what we have in the UK

http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/ranger/-/-/-/-/-/-
Posted by: Dignan

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 12:03

My parents leased a Discovery about 8 years ago, and it was a great, sturdy vehicle. Really solidly built. They're still owned by BMW, right? Well, it certainly seemed so at the time. It just felt like a really solid car. Have things changed so much since then?

How much "BMW-ness" does the Mini get? I test drove one and was suprised at how crappy the plastic was on all interior parts. The turn signal and wiper levers seemed especially chinsy, at least compared to my Honda or my fiancee's Toyota.

ps- I'm not a fan of SUVs at all, but I sort of enjoyed driving the Discovery. Of course, the thing I liked best was the horn. Compared to all the utterly pathetic horns in the Japanese cars I've driven, I felt like I was driving a Mac truck. What is it with the Japanese and their terrible horns? I drive an Eclipse sometimes, and when I honk at someone it sounds like a wheezing cat.

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 12:09

Quote:
This is what we have in the UK

http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/ranger/-/-/-/-/-/-

I like the idea of the Merc G-Wagen you mentioned earlier. Only small issue is that I'd imagine it is a bit hard trying to find a decent one.
Posted by: andy

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 12:10

Quote:
My parents leased a Discovery about 8 years ago, and it was a great, sturdy vehicle. Really solidly built. They're still owned by BMW, right? Well, it certainly seemed so at the time. It just felt like a really solid car. Have things changed so much since then?

BMW sold them to Ford, some time ago. The one I had a bad experience with was back in the BMW era.

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 12:31

Quote:
They're still owned by BMW, right?

Nope, Ford now.

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 12:35

Quote:
I like the idea of the Merc G-Wagen you mentioned earlier. Only small issue is that I'd imagine it is a bit hard trying to find a decent one.

Can't get a pick up, there was an unused RHD pickup demo built for the British Army that sold for about £10k in Germany last year. If you're buying civilian there's not a pickup. I did used to enjoy driving my G500, just couldn't stand averaging 13.6 mpg anymore, if I still had it now I'd be averaging £200 a week on fuel.

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 13:04

Anyway, I'm getting sucked in aren't I?

I must buy other more useful stuff first
I must buy other more useful stuff first....

Re: The shed is dead - 21/06/2006 18:01

What could be more useful then a huge 4 wheel drive truck that can tow over 3 tons

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 07:17

A small tractor with a mower attachment so we don't have to push one around the areas that we need to keep regularly trimmed?

Oh and there's the rotovating too, have you tried rotovating solid clay with a push along rotovator?

A 3 way tipping trailer to get composts etc to where they're supposed to go.

etc....

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 08:35

And I thought looking after my suburbia 30m garden was hard work!

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 08:44

Quote:
And I thought looking after my suburbia 30m garden was hard work!

30m, that bigger than our last garden. It can be easy peasy f you set it up right. Ours should be a lot easier too once we bring it into some kind of order, the first couple of years will be the hardest.

Grow any fruit or veg? There's a load of easy edibles you can grow.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 10:29

Quote:
A small tractor with a mower attachment so we don't have to push one around the areas that we need to keep regularly trimmed?

Oh and there's the rotovating too, have you tried rotovating solid clay with a push along rotovator?

A 3 way tipping trailer to get composts etc to where they're supposed to go.

etc....

You want a unimog

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 10:31

You lot'll be the death of me, I've always wanted a flipping Unimog, or a Pinzgauer. Just stop it, I NEED A TRACTOR, I NEED A TRACTOR, I NEED A TRACTOR!!!!

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 10:36

I could get a Ferrari...

http://www.lameng.com/uk-ferrari-tractors/ferrari-cobram-tractor-2.html

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 11:51

how about a nice sensible volvo http://www.volvoc303.co.uk/volvo_c303_6x6.htm
Posted by: larry818

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 12:00

Or a Lamborghini...

http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B7886.jpg
Posted by: Schido

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 12:14

Or a maserati:

http://www.maseraticlub.co.uk/Panini/panini-tractors-01a.jpg

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 12:16

Thanks guys, all excellent options. :lol:
Posted by: cushman

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 12:43

I want a Ford 8N.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 12:55

Quote:
30m, that bigger than our last garden. It can be easy peasy f you set it up right. Ours should be a lot easier too once we bring it into some kind of order, the first couple of years will be the hardest.

Grow any fruit or veg? There's a load of easy edibles you can grow.

I have two pear trees and an apple tree. With the right water/sun ratio, we can get some wonderful fruit, a couple of years ago was particularly good, but lately it has been a bit dry. At the moment in London there is a bit of a hosepipe ban going on which doesn't help the fruit.

I suppose it is all down to time. If I mow the lawn more often maybe it wouldn't be such hard work. I don't really know what to do with the bushes, they tend to overgrow and then I have to get a gardener in to sort them out. Weeds, don't mention the weeds!

The other big issue would be the hayfever. I have actually made a tissue box holder for my lawn mower out of ducting tape a couple of times. But still, I have to stop halfway and go inside until I can see again through my swollen eyeballs.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 12:57

That's a helluva cool looking tractor. Never seen one over here. The "enthusiasts" tractor over here is the Fergie:

http://www.ferguson-museum.co.uk/52_ferguson.htm

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:02

Quote:
I have two pear trees and an apple tree. With the right water/sun ratio, we can get some wonderful fruit, a couple of years ago was particularly good, but lately it has been a bit dry. At the moment in London there is a bit of a hosepipe ban going on which doesn't help the fruit.

A good layer of mulch around the bases (chipped bark or similar) will help retain moisture and reduce weeds. In our old garden we lifted half the turf and replaced with bark to create a play area with trampoline, swings etc. Sooo much less lawn to mow. We also mulched all our borders, cuts down weeding time dramatically. Keep grass to a minimum I say.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:31

how about a flymow http://youtube.com/watch?v=xj3DanTfRg8&search=flying%20mower

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:38

Quote:
A good layer of mulch around the bases (chipped bark or similar) will help retain moisture and reduce weeds.

Thanks for that! It sounds like a good idea, we don't have any mulch at the moment, the garden is all grass and really is a pain.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:39

There's a guy on eBay that sells bark really cheap.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:41

Quote:
how about a flymow [img]http://youtube.com/watch?v=xj3DanTfRg8&search=flying%20mower[/img]

Excellent
Posted by: cushman

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:42

Quote:
That's a helluva cool looking tractor. Never seen one over here.

They are very common in some parts of the States, you can pick one up (decent running condition) for $2k-$3k. They are on the small side so it makes for a good utility tractor (plowing snow, gardening, etc.). My dad has 2 tractors, a Massey-Harris and a Massey-Ferguson, still running well after over 50 years.

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 13:48

The farmer next door's trying to sell me a 70s International, but my land's all hilly and when it's wet gets really boggy so I'm looking more for a 4WD, I like the idea of the Ferrari type tractors, compact, spread the load well and can take most attchments too.
Posted by: frog51

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 14:54

Had fun the other day driving a landy with reversed steering, a new range rover up and down some very steep stuff, and a strange creation made out of two fronts of 4x4s - both with steering! So one person steers the front, one steers the rear, one does brake and accelerator and one does clutch and gears...

Blindfolded

Will get pics up here as soon as poss. It was quite mad!

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 15:17

Quote:
Blindfolded

Sounds great.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: The shed is dead - 22/06/2006 16:54

Quote:
How much "BMW-ness" does the Mini get? I test drove one and was suprised at how crappy the plastic was on all interior parts. The turn signal and wiper levers seemed especially chinsy, at least compared to my Honda or my fiancee's Toyota.

My wife has a Mini and, while it's not driven a lot, the plastics, which I'll admit look a little cheap, have held up very well. They still look brand new after a couple of years. The only problem I've had with anything along those lines is that it's a little easy to accidentally pull back the bright flash when setting the turn signal. But I've already adjusted to that and I don't drive it that much myself.