BPL

Posted by: Laura

BPL - 26/06/2006 22:25

Does anyone have BPL (broadband over power lines) and if so how well does it work and what's the cost? We might be getting it here out in the boonies and I was wondering if it is worth having.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: BPL - 26/06/2006 23:05

I've heard it worked well- when it worked this is also in a semi-boonies area. In other words there were still some bugs in it, but maybe those are worked out by now.
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: BPL - 27/06/2006 01:18

Laura,
If you get it, please review it here. I have owned stock in a company that makes products for BPL for a couple of years. I've been thinking about dumping it, but would like to know how well BPL works first.
Thanks,

Re: BPL - 27/06/2006 07:50

I'll let you know. I'm sure I'll give it a try if the price isn't too high.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: BPL - 27/06/2006 13:43

Some good background, if interested.

-Zeke
Posted by: Redrum

Re: BPL - 27/06/2006 15:06

I use a two-way satellite connection for my boonie broadband connection (about $60 a month). It works very well for internet but the latency (trip up and back to the satellite) makes it useless for VPN connecting to the office or gaming.

If BPL works better for VPN I know I'd be interested as well.

Re: BPL - 27/06/2006 20:08

It's Rush Shelby Energy that is going to be offering it sometime in the future. I'm not sure who you get your electric from over the hills and dales. I thought satellite was more like $99 a month and I lose mine everytime the sky gets a little stormy.
Posted by: Redrum

Re: BPL - 28/06/2006 10:01

Quote:
It's Rush Shelby Energy that is going to be offering it sometime in the future. I'm not sure who you get your electric from over the hills and dales. I thought satellite was more like $99 a month and I lose mine everytime the sky gets a little stormy.

Here’s the pricing for what I have….

Sat Price

There are also one-way systems available where you use a phone line for the upload and the satellite for the download. That would also probably be good for web browsing and would not require a licensed installer.

If there is a real bad storm the satellite will go out. It is expensive, not good with VPN and goes out at times. That’s one of the prices I pay to live in the country. It’s a small trade off IMO.

Hopefully BPL will be better.