Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 20/12/2006 02:46

Attached is a small segment of a picture I took today of a butterfly known here in Mexico as La Bruja ("Witch"). This butterfly was over six inches wingtip to wingtip, and I was told by our B&B hostess that this was a small one -- some of them are twice the size.

I'd attach the picture of the whole butterfly, but the file is too large.

tanstaafl
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 20/12/2006 03:08

That is awesome. I could host the full for you or you could try imageshack or one of those other free photo-hosting services.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 20/12/2006 15:41

Quote:
I'd attach the picture of the whole butterfly, but the file is too large.

*SIGH* Some people just can't figure out how to use the resize/resample features in their image editing applications...
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 20/12/2006 16:16

He's on vacation Tony! He should have brought Photoshop and made a montage.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 23/12/2006 12:56

Some cameras do seem to have limited crop and edit functionality, but each brand's approach is different. Wouldn't it be nice if camara makers licensed a portable version of Photoshop for use on location? Same interface on all cameras, same features you use (for simple editing) at home. Port it to run on the camera's firmware and you're good to go.

Nah, Photoshop wouldn't be suitable. But for an independant software shop, this could be a gold mine.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 23/12/2006 19:46

Quote:
a portable version of Photoshop for use on location?

Given the UI feature overload that is any modern point-and-shoot camera, it's hard to imagine how you could make this work. Remember, back in the ancient days, when some Kodak cameras supported external applications? These days, you'd probably do that with J2ME or something, but it might still not be the right way to go. (Also, camera vendors are desperate to offer any feature that might differentiate them from their peers, as opposed to having another licensing cost that further strains their negligible profit margins.)

What I think might be better would be a tighter coupling between iPhoto/Picasa/whatever else and your web browser, such that when I'm staring at a post editing form, like the one I'm using now, I can flip over to Picasa, press one button, and it resizes/scales the picture, posts it on the web somewhere, and places the URL in the cut buffer surrounded by the proper IMG tags (which, naturally, vary from one board to the next).
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Interesting Buttefly I Saw in Mexico - 10/01/2007 01:22

Quote:
That is awesome. I could host the full for you or you could try imageshack or one of those other free photo-hosting services.

I'm back from Mexico and have a more reliable internet connection now, so I can finally link to the pictures that you so kindly hosted for me.

Pictures

I'm particularly pleased with the picture of the dragonfly.

tanstaafl.