Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software?

Posted by: TigerJimmy

Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 10/03/2007 06:49

Hi everyone,

Now that the 750GB disks are out and cheap, I'd like to rip all my DVDs onto a video server.

Can you guys recommend ripping and compression software to do this? I have DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, but I'm not certain this is the best approach. The whole video codec and container thing is completely bewildering to me. Which combination gives good quality (in case an HDTV monitor is in the future), portability and reasonable disk usage? XviD seems like a popular choice, but I know nothing about this. Comments?

Thanks in advance. I'm just starting to learn about this so if anyone wants to give me any pointers to resources or heads up on gotchas I'm not asking about, that would be great.

Jim
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 10/03/2007 12:41

H.264/MPEG4-AVC is probably the (current) future. I'd go that way. It's standards based, so you shouldn't have weird incompatibilities.

The real question, though, is what will your video playback device support? I'd figure that out first and then use what it supports best.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 10/03/2007 14:14

I use DVDShrink to rip a single VOB file:

Edit > Preferences > Output Files > uncheck "Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks (recommended)."

Then I use the Re-author mode, only selecting the movie, and I deselect all the alternative languages and all subtitles and I rip the movie. Also make sure you select "No Compression" instead of "Automatic"

At the moment, I'm leaving it that way. The quality won't get any better than that and I can decide what I want to do with them later. I don't have a networkable media player at the moment, but I have a great LG player that will play a wide assortment of files, including just a single VOB file on a disc.

So now, if I want to put the file onto a DVD-RW, I can point DVDShrink back at that file and tell it to compress it this time. Or, if I eventually get a networkable media player, I'll probably use Super (linked in Tony's thread) to encode them into whatever format I want.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 10/03/2007 18:40

Handbrake encoding into a normal MP4 h.264 file as Bitt said. The Windows version is CLI, but guis do exist for it. Can't comment on the Windows quality, but my Core Duo Mac Mini with the OS X version will do a DVD at about realtime speed. You can also queue actions up, great for if you have a dumped image of the disc, or a TV series DVD with multiple episodes per disc.
Posted by: altman

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 10/03/2007 22:58

I use fairuse for this - seems to be pretty flexible and there's a free version to try. Not tried many others, though - when I was looking for some software to archive my DVDs this was the first one I found that actually worked, so I stopped looking at that point

Hugo
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 11/03/2007 12:30

Thanks for all of these helpful responses.

I haven't settled on a playback system yet. My vision is that its a computer with some software on it. I don't know which software to use for playback and navigation of a movie collection. Any input here would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again everyone,

Jim
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 13:43

Is there a way to get DVD shrink to output a single file like a mpeg4 or some other format instead of outputting vobs ?

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 14:19

Quote:
Is there a way to get DVD shrink to output a single file like a mpeg4 or some other format instead of outputting vobs ?

DVDShrink does no transcoding. It only compresses.

That said, the answer to your first question "does it output to a single file?" is yes. I wrote how in my first post to this thread:

Quote:
Edit > Preferences > Output Files > uncheck "Split VOB files into 1GB size chunks (recommended)."

That will output the file as a single VOB (as long as it started as one track on the DVD). It will also give you some other files, but as long as you're not playing the result on a standard DVD player, you only need the VOB file. You can then take that file and transcode it using some other application (these days I like Super, as I've posted before).
Posted by: mlord

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 14:20

I thought one could set it to produce an ISO file ?

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 14:48

I did uncheck the 1 gb split feature I guess I was confused by the files other than the vob. I was expecting one file not two folders with several files.

Making a iso is a good idea I might just do that if I can't find something I like better.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 19:26

If I might ask, what's the difference between transcoding and recompressing?

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 19:29

Context.

Transcoding means converting from one format to another. Recompressing means running through another compressor. Generally speaking, with transcoding, you're interest lies in making it compatible with a different system, whereas the interest in recompressing lies in making it smaller. In both cases, though, you're uncompressing and then recompressing.
Posted by: andym

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 19:30

Quote:
If I might ask, what's the difference between transcoding and recompressing?

I would've said transcoding is conversion of one format to another eg. MPEG2 to MPEG4 and recompression implies the decoding and recoding of a signal using the same format. Certainly we use those terms at work.

EDIT: Dammit, beaten to it.

EDIT: Should also point out transcoding doesn't have involve compression of any type. We would describe converting an SDI video signal to a analogue composite signal as transcoding too.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 19:31

Makes sense.... In that case, it's true. Shrink is only outputting other vobs. Evan as an iso, it's still just putting vobs into an iso.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 21:09

Quote:
I did uncheck the 1 gb split feature I guess I was confused by the files other than the vob. I was expecting one file not two folders with several files.

Making a iso is a good idea I might just do that if I can't find something I like better.

Why? That doesn't make sense. An ISO, I believe, won't be playable by any video playback software whatsoever. A VOB file can (VLC can for sure, and possibly Media Player Classic, among others).

You might want to try using the "Re-author" mode instead of the Full Disc mode. In that mode, you can simply rip individual tracks from the DVD. It will usually highlight which one is the main movie (whichever is the biggest in size). Drag that over and nothing else.

Then, with the previously-mentioned box unchecked, click the "Backup!" button, and in that, uncheck the "create Audio_TS and Video_TS folders" box, and start the backup.

After that, yes, you're still left with a bunch of files, but only the VOB file contains the video. The others can be deleted entirely, and you're left with a single playable VOB file. From there, it's up to you to decide how you're going to want to play your files, and with what program, because you'll either leave it untouched or transcode it.

If you're not certain what you're going to do, I suggest backing up in the highest-quality you can. That means that before you hit the "Backup!" button, make sure to click on the "Compression Settings" tab within the "Re-author" mode, select the video track you dragged over, and choose "No Compression."

Another hint: DVDShrink can re-compress VOB's later on.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 21:11

I also might be confused as to what your final goal is. Do you just want the movie, or do you want the whole movie with all the menus and special features?
Posted by: drakino

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 21:26

ISOs of DVDs are playable on the OS X DVD player, as the built in DVD Maker program can spit out an ISO instead of burning to disc. Somewhere out there is even a script for Front Row to see a folder of ISOs as DVDs, it takes care of mounting them and starting playback. Haven't used it myself, I generally prefer the space savings of transcoding to H.264.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 21:28

Quote:
Why? That doesn't make sense. An ISO, I believe, won't be playable by any video playback software whatsoever. A VOB file can (VLC can for sure, and possibly Media Player Classic, among others).

True, but you can mount the image with Daemon Tools.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 18/03/2007 21:31

Or with builtin tools under OSX, Linux, and most Unices.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 19/03/2007 01:52

I have found several dvd playback programs that play iso files as other have pointed out. My goal is to have just the movie in one file that I can play on my laptop. Vob would be ok but I would prefer divx. I found this program that does exactly what I want and it seems to work ok.

http://www.simpledivx.org/main/
Posted by: ShadowMan

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 22/03/2007 15:21

My suggestion would be a modded xbox. I have one and we love it. I put a bigger hard drive in it and ripped my little guys movies to it (all within the xbox). Now we have everything on hand without the need to fumble with the discs. I've also tried ripping to divx on my pc but syncing the audio and video is a problem that I haven't been able to solve yet.

Good luck.
Rene
Posted by: ShadowMan

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 05/04/2007 22:28

Quote:
I've also tried ripping to divx on my pc but syncing the audio and video is a problem that I haven't been able to solve yet.

After reading this thread I decided to try again. I used SimpleDivX and so far I am having great results.

Rene

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 04:43

Here you go. Just get one of these.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 10:26

Quote:
Here you go. Just get one of these.

Wow...that was weird...I'm sitting here eating breakfast and watching DL.TV. The second I read your post they started talking about the court case that company just won.
Posted by: Neutrino

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 11:52

You can achieve something very similiar with XLobby (free), DVDProfiler, and a HTPC. You rip your movies to hardrive and have them available at the touch of a button. A very cost effective solution if you are into this sort of thing.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 12:02

Another snap of XLobby

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 12:06

And one more
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 13:58

What are people using for a HTPC, both front end (sits under TV) and backend (just storage?)?
Is it primarily MythTV and hacked X-Boxes?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 14:14

Quote:
What are people using for a HTPC, both front end (sits under TV) and backend (just storage?)?
Is it primarily MythTV and hacked X-Boxes?

I use a single box, in a shop-built cabinet that holds up the widescreen TV.
It runs Myth (front & back), and powers on/off automatically as required,
to record shows and update it's electronic program guide (EPG).

It has dual analog (NTSC) receivers and dual digital (ATSC) receivers,
all wired up to a pair of outdoor antennas for over-the-air (OTA) reception.
The antennas reside on a 35' tower attached to the house.

Two 320GB SATA drives (RAID0) provide sufficient storage for now.
I have plans (and drives) to replace those with 750GB SATA drives.

Cheers

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 14:35

That is weird. It's WAAY out of my league, price wise, but I'm glad they won.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 14:50

Quote:
What are people using for a HTPC, both front end (sits under TV) and backend (just storage?)? Is it primarily MythTV and hacked X-Boxes?

Are people *actually* using xboxes (hacked or not) as home theater media players?

This strikes me as the worst possible device to use for that purpose. My xbox fan is louder than my furnace at full blast. I can hardly stand to have it on at all, even when I'm playing a very loud action game with the volume cranked.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 15:50

I don't know Tony. Just with all the Xbox hacking that has occurred I'm assuming that the is some hack to use it as a DVD warehouse.
Personally I'd prefer to hack our Series 2 DirecTV Tivo to play ripped DVDs off of networked storage, but getting time to do this is another - if it is even possible. Plus it might not make sense either, isn't that sat stream going away?

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 16:14

Yes, you can hack series 2 direcTivos. It makes a lot of sense to do, because the current sat stream isn't going to go away, they're simply going to supplement it with the new Mpeg4 birds.

The only reason I haven't hacked mine is that I don't want to lose the current content in the process. There's no way to back up current content so that it's watchable post-hack. (As far as I know: Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
Posted by: robricc

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 16:33

The Tivo_Zipper script will preserve your recordings as far as I know. TivoServer will stream VOBs, but I never tested that function myself. The problem with using a DirecTiVo as a media streamer is the lack of support for anamorphic widescreen output. I am currently using a quiet SFF PC running Media Portal. I have only been using it for a week, but it seems to work very well for the price (free).

On another note, I heard an estimate that MPEG2 SD streams would be available from DirecTV for at least 10 more years. That wasn't official word from DiecTV, however.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 17:14

Quote:
The problem with using a DirecTiVo as a media streamer is the lack of support for anamorphic widescreen output.

Even with one of the Hughes high-def DirecTivo units? That one gives me control of the 4:3 TV shows and allows me to stretch them with the press of a button. Wouldn't it do the same for other playback?

Quote:
The Tivo_Zipper script will preserve your recordings as far as I know.

Interesting. Last I heard, the situation was thus:
- Stuff already saved to the Tivo hard disk was encrypted.
- Hacking the Tivo removes encryption from the algorithm that saves and plays back the movies, thus allowing any FUTURE recordings to be fully shareable. However, existing recordings would stay encrypted and couldn't be played back.

Maybe I interpreted this wrong, and actually what was meand was that existing recordings couldn't be *shared* with PCs or with other people because of the encryption.

In any case, I'd like to learn more, as hacking my Tivo is getting more and more appealing to me each day.
Posted by: sein

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 17:26

Quote:
This strikes me as the worst possible device to use for that purpose. My xbox fan is louder than my furnace at full blast. I can hardly stand to have it on at all, even when I'm playing a very loud action game with the volume cranked.

Tony, you gotta play around with XBMC on a hacked Xbox. There are options to clock down the fan speed directly or link it to the system temperature. Mine is linked to the temp and constantly spins at 10% of its normal speed - and I never hear it until I load up a game. I have it also turn off the light on the front when playing a video file, its really that unobtrusive.

Mine is a little further modified so I can turn it on and off with the remote. It boots in literally < 5 seconds. Its totally rock solid stable, so flexible and really easy to use.

Only downsides I can think of at a stretch would be that its big and ugly in the age of the Apple TV, there is no HD and it struggles with really high res files, erm, oh and the remote is tacky.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 17:27

Quote:
Quote:
The problem with using a DirecTiVo as a media streamer is the lack of support for anamorphic widescreen output.

Even with one of the Hughes high-def DirecTivo units? That one gives me control of the 4:3 TV shows and allows me to stretch them with the press of a button. Wouldn't it do the same for other playback?

I never even thought of that possibility. I don't know if show sharing works on the HR10-250. I know that you can extract from it though...

Quote:
Quote:
The Tivo_Zipper script will preserve your recordings as far as I know.

Interesting. Last I heard, the situation was thus:
- Stuff already saved to the Tivo hard disk was encrypted.
- Hacking the Tivo removes encryption from the algorithm that saves and plays back the movies, thus allowing any FUTURE recordings to be fully shareable. However, existing recordings would stay encrypted and couldn't be played back.

Maybe I interpreted this wrong, and actually what was meand was that existing recordings couldn't be *shared* with PCs or with other people because of the encryption.

In any case, I'd like to learn more, as hacking my Tivo is getting more and more appealing to me each day.

Un-hacked Stand Alone Series2 Tivos can share shows between each other and their recordings are still encrypted. I don't know if it would work the same way with DirecTivos because I have always hacked mine in a way that destroys the pre-existing recordings.

I don't think anyone ever bothered cracking Tivo's encryption since it's easy to just disable it. But yes, the encryption would disallow you from extracting your existing shows to a PC.

I've never used the Zipper, I don't know exactly what it does, but I think it just patches an existing image... it can even be an image of your drive (which is how you get to keep your recordings). As long as you have an image of your tivo, I don't think it's too risky to try the Zipper and see what it enables for you. It just takes time. Since it's an automated script, it's probably not too time consuming though.
Posted by: sein

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 17:31

Quote:
My xbox fan is louder than my furnace at full blast.

Oh wait, maybe you have a 360? Not a lot you can do about that, and yes its damn loud.

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 17:39

Quote:
Quote:
My xbox fan is louder than my furnace at full blast.

Oh wait, maybe you have a 360? Not a lot you can do about that, and yes its damn loud.

Yeah, forgot to mention that the 360 was specifically what I was talking about.
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: Ripping and compressing DVD movies -- which format and software? - 06/04/2007 19:43

Myth
Frontends (2) are motherboard+CPU+RAM (onboard everything) booting diskless.
Backend is a £99 Dell mini tower (special offer) with a PVR350 to record Sky over s-video and a DVB-S to get free satellite.
All have homemade IR rx.tx units (from the lirc site)
I have a 1.2Tb raid5 in there made up of 5 300Gb SATA drives.