International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread

Posted by: Cris

International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 27/06/2007 18:36

I've had a few questions today about how the meet is going, the answer is very well! We have a few delays with the signup page itself, but today the website has gone live

So I am pleased to announce for all the latest news check out www.empegmeet.com or www.empegmeet.co.uk.

The site is being hosted on the end of an adsl line, so please don't hammer it, check here first for news of the signup page going live. We are hoping to have this done by this coming Sunday, but we thought we would just tease you all to start with

The weekend has been changed around quite a bit, but all the favorites will be in there somewhere, I look forward to seeing you all soon........

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 27/06/2007 18:41

Ok guys, please use this thread for all discussion about this years meet. This will make it easy to spot problems and take feedback.

Above is a copy of the message I just posted in the announcements section, we are still working on the website but the bones are there.

It's still not too late to include any ideas you may have, we are really open to any new idea, so get in touch if you've had a brainwave!

Cris.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 27/06/2007 18:59

You have "empeg" spelled wrong in the text, but not in the link.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 27/06/2007 19:21

Yea, thanks for that.

Edit - Now corrected, and so is the typo on the information page on the website, did you spot it ???

Cris.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 28/06/2007 04:29

Quote:

Edit - Now corrected, and so is the typo on the information page on the website, did you spot it ???

Cris.

Don't know if there might be a cacheing server somewhere upstream (don't think so though), but if it wasn't the empeg spelling in "The city centre location may have an impact on some more traditional emepg events" then I guess you've got another one
Posted by: sein

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 28/06/2007 08:34

Anyone else making their way to Manchester from London on the train? I'd like to book super dooper advance tickets today or tomorrow with my Young Persons Railcard for either a £24 return or £40 first class return. It would be nice to get some company and avoid packing my Nintendo PM me ASAP.
Posted by: Schido

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 28/06/2007 09:28

Quote:
Anyone else making their way to Manchester from London on the train?

Seen this post by Rob S?
Quote:
I may be up for collecting up to 3 people from Stanstead

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/300886/an/0/page/0#Post300886
Posted by: andy

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - THE Thread - 28/06/2007 09:31

London Stansted is no where near London though...

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/07/2007 15:59

The sign up page has just gone live.

It would be really good for the first few people to also send me a PM so I can make sure everything has worked as it should.

There is a small deposit to pay up front, you can pay the balance before hand via paypal or on the day in cash.

We are trying really hard to keep the costs down this year, £30 may sound quite a bit for a day out, but it will be great value, you'll see

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/07/2007 16:46

I have just spoken to our suggested Hotel, the Days Inn Manchester.

I had previously spoken to them and was assured it "wouldn't be a problem"

As it turns out it may be. They have no double rooms left. This really throws the cat amongst the pigeons for us! It looks like they have had a big group booking in the past day or so.

We have several options....

Use the single rooms they have at the Days Inn @ £49, or the student rooms next door at £25.85.

or, move to another hotel.

Opinions people.....

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: andym

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/07/2007 17:33

Don't forget there's the Ibis literally round the corner (1 min walk away). There are at least a dozen well within walking/crawling distance.

Considering the location of our proposed evening events, it actually makes some of them easier to get to!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/07/2007 18:40

Those student rooms sure sound interesting at that price, is that with 8 bunks in a room?

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/07/2007 19:19

i wouldn't have thought so. They're likely to be singles.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/07/2007 19:52

Yea, singles with their own en-suite. Pretty basic but liveable space. This will be the cheapest single room you will find in the city I bet.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 03/07/2007 04:56

Lonelyplanet seems pretty positive:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/england/manchester?poi=130778

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 11/07/2007 07:00

Quote:
Those student rooms sure sound interesting at that price, is that with 8 bunks in a room?

At the other extreme...

...given that the chosen hotel is full Eryl and I will probably splash out and stay at Malmaison. Though probably not in one of their uber suites

http://www.malmaison-manchester.com/
Posted by: dr_dos

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 11/07/2007 10:28

We just booked a double room at the Ibis hotel.

-Peter

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 11/07/2007 10:53

I'm still waiting for a go-ahead for an 'official' hotel.
And looking for someone to share a room with if it's twin rooms too.
Posted by: boxer

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 11/07/2007 15:32

I'm at the Ibis - coming on my own this year.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 11/07/2007 17:13

Quote:
I'm still waiting for a go-ahead for an 'official' hotel.

I would say with the lack of interest in this thread so far they won't be an official interest. I think we may be staying in the student acc. just to keep our cots down as much as we can. There will be plenty of places in Manchester we will be able to have a drink together, we don't all have to be in the same one. So pick the one that fits your budget. The Days Inn does have rooms, but only singles.

The level of signup so far is putting some of our plans in danger, so if you are thinking of coming can you please sign up as soon as you can.

It's going to be a great weekend, so don't miss out....

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 12/07/2007 04:35

Ooh yes, that malmaison must be good too:

Quote:
Johnny Walker
Director of Wines
The wine and spirit man

http://www.malmaison.com/about-mal/people-behind-mal

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 12/07/2007 16:11

Quote:
I'm at the Ibis - coming on my own this year.

Just told Martina that Christine's not coming. She has hoped to see her again this year and is really sad now.

-Peter
Posted by: mlord

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 12/07/2007 16:55

Quote:

Just told Martina that Christine's not coming. She has hoped to see her again this year and is really sad now.

I'm kinda suprised we haven't heard from you two over this side of the pond this summer!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 13/07/2007 04:29

Quote:
I'm kinda suprised we haven't heard from you two over this side of the pond this summer!

We changed plans slightly - this year the Canadians are coming to Germany. Martina's uncle is already here and her aunt, cousin and nephew will follow next week.

How about you guys? Are you going to be in Manchester?

-Peter
Posted by: mlord

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 13/07/2007 12:47

Quote:

How about you guys? Are you going to be in Manchester?

Not this year -- I've got a Linux contract that conflicts with the August/September timeframe. But 2008 should be a go for us.

Cheers!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/07/2007 00:28

So everyone's staying at the Ibis? The student rooms seemed like a decent deal for a "roughing it, but with nice long showers" guy like me. Though, since I'll probably stay in hostels the rest of the time I'm in the UK, it might be nice to get a real hotel bed.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/07/2007 18:19

Hi Guys,

While we had a brief surge in sign ups since the last post, the numbers are still looking a little slim. I know people like to leave it until the last minute, but we need to try and finalise numbers in the next 2 weeks.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/07/2007 22:00

Quote:
Hi Guys,

While we had a brief surge in sign ups since the last post, the numbers are still looking a little slim. I know people like to leave it until the last minute, but we need to try and finalise numbers in the next 2 weeks.

Got a date with the doc this Wednesday - will let you know after the verdict is in...

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 16/07/2007 09:03

Best of luck Mike, hope it goes well!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/07/2007 15:02

Hi Guys,

I've just got back from 2 weeks holiday, and had hoped to firm up the bookings and pay the deposits. At the current sign up level I can't do that.

Can I please urge all of you who are thinking about coming to sign up as soon as you can, I will leave the sign up form online for the next 10 days only.

On the Hotel issue, just to confirm again we are not making a group booking, the closest Hotel to the event will be the Days Inn Manchester Centre but you don't have to book there! The social events will be held away from the Hotel so it really doesn't matter where you stay.

See you guys soon, we are only 4 weeks away now

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 02/08/2007 18:23

Okay Guys,

Signup levels are extremely low, currently there isn't enough interest to make our current plans worthwhile. We will close the signup page on Sunday night (21.00 BST), after this we may accept late signups, but that will be at our discretion. If the figures don't increase to a better level by then we will have to seriously rethink our plans.

EDIT: What I mean't to say was that what we have planned could still go ahead. Cris and myself want to cover our costs, nothing else. It's simple, the more people who come, the cheaper it gets for everyone else.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 03/08/2007 13:09

As Andy says signup or miss out

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 03/08/2007 19:53

Did you guys get my e-mail about adding Sunday to my order? I hadn't heard back and wanted to be sure my registration and $$ was counted.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 03/08/2007 20:04

Oh, and you're counting me in too, right? Paypal payment still says 'unclaimed'

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 03/08/2007 20:18

Yep we got them both

We are leaving all the paypal money where it is until we have all the numbers confirmed.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 04/08/2007 07:56

Well, i just received an email from paypal that 'the funds have been returned' because: 'Empeg Meet 2007 is an International member who did not manually accept or deny this payment.'
And paypal just made €1.60 off me with 2 currency conversions.

So maybe don't leave it too long? Today it has been inthere for exactly a month.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 04/08/2007 08:42

Hmmm, interesting both yourself and boxer's payments have been returned. However there are people who paid before you who are still accepted. Very strange....

BTW, could still do with some more people signing up..... don't delay!!!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 04/08/2007 13:14

Come on guys, only 1 day left to sign up

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 05/08/2007 13:37

Well, I'll be in Manchester on the prescribed dates if there's a meet or not. I'm booking my hotel and flight today. I guess others have booked their hotel. If there's no rented space for the meet, at least we could get together and hang out for a while.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 05/08/2007 17:53

Our flight and hotel is already booked, so we will be there no matter what...

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 05/08/2007 18:07

....and with the theme tune of top gear still ringing in my ears...... the signup sheet is now closed. Cris and I will have a meeting and decide whether our original plans are still viable with the numbers we have signed up.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 05/08/2007 20:45

Ok Guys,

The deadline that Andy set has been and gone.

We don't have enough numbers to make the event we planned viable

If we get a rush of names via PM in the next couple of days then we may still be able to pull it off. Andy and I will meet for a crisis meeting to discuss our plans.

THERE WILL BE A MEET. What's up for discussion is what people would like to do.

To make the mystery tour a success we needed about 30 signups and maybe 20 for the meet itself. We may be able to scale back our plans a little but some deposits have been paid and we will be out of pocket if we don't complete the booking. There are economies of scale at work (esp for the hire of the coach!) the fewer people the more expensive it will get.

So come on guys....put a smile on my face...we have put loads of work in for far...there is NO WAY we are gunna cancel !!!!!!

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 05/08/2007 20:47

I feel really bad. I wanna come, but I just can't make it this year.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 05/08/2007 20:53

Thanks

It is a bit of a long way to come

Just doing a bit of googlin trying to get the prices back on track.

We're still gunna have a great time, more beer for everyone

Cris.
Posted by: music

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 06/08/2007 12:31

I had long planned to actually make it this year.

But I ended up needing to schedule a trip to England in September
and I just couldn't justify a second one only a month earlier.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 06/08/2007 15:18

I thought it may help people see the situation we are in if I posted the actual numbers...

11 unique signups:

11 for Friday night
16 for Saturday Day
12 for the Meet
12 for the Sunday night

All figures include Andym & myself.

We have enough numbers to go ahead with the "Mystery Tour" but it will be me driving us in a Mini bus rather than the top of the range luxury coach I had booked

I hope that helps people see the position we are in. If anyone has suggestions for the Sunday please make them here...

Cheers

Cris.

The main problem is the meet itself. The room hire is £250+ on it's own so we can't justify the cost for these numbers.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 06/08/2007 15:51

Quote:

If anyone has suggestions for the Sunday please make them here...

I want to visit the Karl Pilkington museum:

http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/

(Or is that already in the mystery tour?)
Posted by: pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 06/08/2007 19:43

Did you include me (and Gaby) in the numbers?

I signed in but I haven't paid yet. Paypal was giving me a wrong URL error message.

I'm coming anyway, I had already booked the flight and the hotel.

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 07/08/2007 03:54

Yep, Andy was going on sign up forms not payments made.

By my calculations we should have enough rooms for 8 extra people for the Saturday event as I will have to hire 2 minibuses, so we can take a few late sign ups

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: Roger

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 13:02

I've finally got around to booking train/hotel/stuff.

I'll be arriving 20:20 at Manchester Picadilly, and I'm staying at the Ibis. Does it make sense to check in first and then head to Akbar's, or to come for curry first, and then check in? Or am I going to miss everything, and should catch up with you guys later?

I'll not be sticking around for the chinese meal on Sunday; I'm heading back to London at about 7pm.

The wife's going to be catching up with friends in Manchester while we're doing geeky things, so I'm not sure which items on the itinerary she'll be joining us for.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 13:40

I think by the time we all get there etc... it will be 9 any way so I don't think you'll miss anything.

There has been a change of plan for Sunday due to the small numbers, we will be taking residence in the Snug at the Lass O'Gowrie for the best part of the afternoon (it's just around the corner from the conference centre). We will be holding "the meet" there but it's a pub and walking distance to the centre so wives/girlfriends can come and go.

It's a cosy room, but the best part is we get use of the WiFi so if anyone who can't make it fancy's a webcam link direct to the meet we'll put you up on the big screen

We do have a few extra spaces for the meet itself.....

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 15:34

Quote:
I've finally got around to booking train/hotel/stuff.

Great you could make it. So now we have at least one blue attendee.

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 16:34

Quote:
So now we have at least one blue attendee.

Oops, missed Rob S. Rob, are you still coming?

From reactions on this board, I am assuming these attendees:

cris
andym
sein
schido
andy & eryl
boxer
dr_dos & martina
firefox31
pim & gaby
roger & wife
schofiel

maybes:

mtempsch
speedy67

BTW, I just realized, Roger always used to come with his girlfriend. Now he's taking his wife along. I assume this is still the same person? Congrats, I totally missed that.

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 17:02

We've actually had no official confirmation from Thomas, Michael or either of the Robs. If you three/four are planning on coming, could you drop us a PM or a mail? [email protected].

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 19:48

Quote:

We do have a few extra spaces for the meet itself.....

Do you mean space for people or space for topics?

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 14/08/2007 21:10

Both

Although, with the numbers being quite low the event is going to be much more informal than planned.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 05:02

Quote:
BTW, I just realized, Roger always used to come with his girlfriend. Now he's taking his wife along. I assume this is still the same person? Congrats, I totally missed that.

Thanks. Yes. It's the same person. We got married just over a year ago.
Posted by: julf

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 06:37

Finally got back on the board after a lot of time on the road. Unfortunately, when I got home, there was a letter from the hospital that they finally have a date for a second foot operation (to fix up the botched toe operation I had last winter) - August 28. So I will be limited in mobility for all of September, and the meet is definitely out for me
Posted by: rob

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 07:15

Rob S is on holiday this week and unlikely to get your message until next week.

There's a chance I might turn up but I can't commit to it until the last minute as I'm off to China next week for an indeterminate amount of time.

Rob

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 14:35

I could bring the Infill G4 I recently bought.

Assuming that:
- I'm still welcome now that I've come out
- it's back from being repaired at CarTFT.com (dead pixel)
- it hasn't been installed yet by then (unlikely)
- it fits my suitcase (Jet2 charges for each suitcase)

Pim
Posted by: drakino

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 15:15

Quote:

I saw a "pim" over on mp3car.com, was wondering if it was you. I'll avoid throwing this thread off topic here, but so far my Infill G4/Streetdeck experiences have been very mixed. Need to update the thread over here sometime soon.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 16:06

Quote:

All gadgets welcome

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 15/08/2007 17:10

Quote:
(Jet2 charges for each suitcase)

That's not that strange is it, charging for extra's? I bet you mean they charge 16 £ for the 1st one, i noticed that too.
Thought screw them, and ended up booking with vlm from Rotterdam.

edit: added 'charging for extra's'

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 16/08/2007 13:29

Quote:
That's not that strange is it, charging for extra's?

Yes, now that we finally have a law that prevents airline carriers from advertising prices that exclude taxes and surcharges, now they screw us by charging for luggage. You only notice that until just before completing your booking.

Quote:
I bet you mean they charge 16 £ for the 1st one, i noticed that too.

It's worse than that:

Quote:

Each travelling fare paying passenger is permitted up to a total of 18kg of checked baggage weight. However there is a cost for each individual bag per flight. When pre-booked online this is 5GBP/ 8EUR/ 12CHF/ 250CZK/ 60NOK/ 30PLN. (10GBP/ 15EUR/ 23CHF/ 500CZK/ 120NOK/ 60PLN at the airport).

If the combined total weight of all bags is more than 18kg you will incur an excess baggage charge at the airport, in addition to the individual bag charge. No single bag can weigh more than 25kg.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 16/08/2007 14:09

Quote:
I saw a "pim" over on mp3car.com, was wondering if it was you.

Yes, that's me.

Quote:
I'll avoid throwing this thread off topic here, but so far my Infill G4/Streetdeck experiences have been very mixed. Need to update the thread over here sometime soon.

I'll continue this thread on ICE.

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 16/08/2007 16:08

Quote:
I'll be arriving 20:20 at Manchester Picadilly, and I'm staying at the Ibis. Does it make sense to check in first and then head to Akbar's, or to come for curry first, and then check in? Or am I going to miss everything, and should catch up with you guys later?

We can make it a late meal, we could all go for some drinks and then meet at Akbar's a little later, this would give you chance to drop off your bags etc...

How does everyone feel about eating late?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 18/08/2007 01:30

I've got no problem eating late, thanks for accommodating. I am planning to arrive in Manchester by train at 6:20pm. Or, I could roll in at 7:36pm.

If Akbar's is at 8pm, then I'm assuming people will get a drink in the Ibis lobby for an hour before then. I also assume none of the visitors will know how to get there.
Posted by: altman

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 18/08/2007 02:56

Quote:
There's a chance I might turn up but I can't commit to it until the last minute as I'm off to China next week for an indeterminate amount of time.

Sounds frighteningly like me for last year's meet!

Hugo

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 18/08/2007 05:18

Quote:
I also assume none of the visitors will know how to get there.

Don't worry about that, we'll come and meet you. It's all within walking distance.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 18/08/2007 08:41

Quote:
How does everyone feel about eating late?

Not nearly as excited as drinking early!

Although I appreciate that you are happy to meet people, it would be an idea to have a location map for the three(3?) locations, so that any stragglers can catch up.
After all, I'm the man who had to be helped on to the train at Piccadilly, with the guard being told to make sure that he woke me up at Leeds, after a particularly boozy do at the Midland Hotel.
Second thoughts, can I have an encapsulated map on a string to hang round my neck!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Only 6 Places Left !!! - 20/08/2007 16:14

We are starting to run out of spaces for the "Mystery Tour" only 6 places left now!!!

To sign up just drop me a PM, do it quick or you might loose out!!!

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 20/08/2007 16:58

If you search for empegmeet with google maps, you'll find your 3 points, and the lass to the ibis really is crawling distance

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 20/08/2007 18:03

Quote:
If you search for empegmeet with google maps, you'll find your 3 points, and the lass to the ibis really is crawling distance

And there you all were thinking Andy and I had just slapped together a meet

There has been extensive scientific "crawl testing" to make sure minimal distance between pub and bed, and wasn't at all based on driving around the corner and finding a pub there

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 24/08/2007 14:16

All the people who are registered for the meet should have received a registration e-mail a couple of days ago.

We will be sending details out at some point this weekend detailing meeting points and maps etc...

We will also include what the outstanding balance will be. We would prefer cash on the day, but you can use paypal if you have to.

We have 5 places left for the Saturday, so if you haven't signed up yet, or if you would like to bring a friend we still have room on the bus for you. PM me direct if you are interested.

Only a week to go folks

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 28/08/2007 04:42

Is anyone else arriving early on friday, and want to hang out during the day?
I will land at 07.55 at mcr airport. (Yes, that was the cheapest flight)

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 28/08/2007 05:36

Quote:
Is anyone else arriving early on friday, and want to hang out during the day?

That's a very good point!

There is plenty to do in Manchester City Centre, and there won't be too much time during the weekend to see any of it. We won't be spending any time in Manchester on the Mystery Tour

As you will see in the agenda (soon to be sent - hopefully tonight!) there is a gap on Sunday morning before the meet proper kicks off. I was going to suggest we drop off at the Science & Industry Museum and those that are interested could visit the Dr Who Exhibition. But there are a couple of other things you could do in the city...

Kylie - The Exhibition

Hacienda Exhibition

Of course there is lots for you to find yourself, here is a good starting point

Cheers

Cris

PS - Still a couple of places left, so send me a PM ASAP if you would like to attend this coming weekend.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 28/08/2007 18:48

The Hacienda exhibition is seriously good!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 28/08/2007 19:27

Ok guys,

I have just sent out the Guide to this years meet. Sorry for the slight delay.

If anyone hasn't received it please let me know and I will give you the direct download address.

I nipped down to the t-shirt place this afternoon, I think this one may become a collectors item. There is still room if you haven't signed up and you fancy getting your hands on one of these exclusive can't buy them anywhere items

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: pca

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 28/08/2007 23:55

Hi.

Due to Rob Schofield and I being both overworked and underorganised, neither one of us got around to booking a hotel room in the Ibis hotel, which is now booked up. While we can find a room somewhere else, I thought it might be worth asking whether anyone going to the meet might have a twin room with half underutilised, and would be willing to put up with one of us for the duration. We will obviously pay our way

pca

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 29/08/2007 14:01

Has anyone stepped in to help out Patrick and Rob yet ???

not sure if there have been a few PM's flying around or not.

Cheers

Cris.

PS - Got a sneek peek at the t-shirts today

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 29/08/2007 14:06

Just checking a few hotel booking sites, you may be able to get a room via lastminute.com etc... some of them are showing availability.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Meet Details - 30/08/2007 04:39

So how are we doing Guys ???

Is everyone sorted?

Any Questions?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 13:31

Quote:
Quote:

All gadgets welcome

OK, just got it back from being RMA'ed.

I could bring it, even though it's nowhere finished, but to actually turn it on it would be nice if someone local could bring:

- a standard PC ATX power supply (with UK power cord)
- a powered USB 2.0 hub (with UK power cord)
- a USB keyboard
- powered speakers (with cable for stereo RCA line outputs)

Please let me know asap, I'll be packing in a couple of hours.

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 15:48

I think we should be able to get everything on that list sorted, so feel free to bring it along.

Cheers

Cris

PS - Just picked up the T-Shirts (and a few other exclusive items ) I think it's almost worth coming just to get one

We have 22 people for Saturday so there are 2 spaces on the minibuses still available, we are almost full now, this is your last chance!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 19:17

Quote:
I think we should be able to get everything on that list sorted, so feel free to bring it

Oh bugger, never mind.

I screwed up major last minute. I noticed the G4 would only recognize 448 MB of the 1 GB memory module I bought elsewhere.

I tried some memory related BIOS options, and now the G4 will no longer boot. There's no visible CMOS reset jumper on the top board, so I'll have to wait for support ...

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 19:28

Bring it along anyway, I'm sure we'd all like to see it from a hardware point of view....

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: Attack

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 20:03

Quote:
Quote:
I think we should be able to get everything on that list sorted, so feel free to bring it

Oh bugger, never mind.

I screwed up major last minute. I noticed the G4 would only recognize 448 MB of the 1 GB memory module I bought elsewhere.

I tried some memory related BIOS options, and now the G4 will no longer boot. There's no visible CMOS reset jumper on the top board, so I'll have to wait for support ...

Pim

Removing the battery and leaving out for 10 minutes.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 20:11

Quote:
Jet2 charges for each suitcase

These guys have imagination.

Just tried to check-in online.

They won't let you check-in online unless you select a seat, and seat selection costs EUR 4 per seat ...

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 20:17

OMG!

That used to be such a good airline!

Cheers

Cris.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 30/08/2007 20:35

Quote:
Removing the battery and leaving out for 10 minutes.

Not so easy; there are two pcb's with components on both sides. No battery on the only accessible side.

But, I fixed it by changing the memory module for a 512 MB one from an old laptop.
It allowed me to enter setup again and change things back.

So, it's working again (beit with 448 MB RAM).

Cris, can you bring the stuff on the list?

Pim

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 31/08/2007 05:52

Yes we have everything you need

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: robricc

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 31/08/2007 10:08

Bas and I are at the Lass enjoying some pints awaiting the fun. I suppose the meet has begun!

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 31/08/2007 10:57

Great stuff, see you guys tonight at Akbars! Leaving London in a couple of hours. Really looking forward to it.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 31/08/2007 12:15

Quote:
Bas and I are at the Lass enjoying some pints awaiting the fun. I suppose the meet has begun!

I've just enjoyed a couple of pints at lunchtime. Just popped back into the office to wrap something up quickly, then I'm on my way north.

Re: International Owners Meet 2007 - Sign Up Page Live - 31/08/2007 13:35

Great Guys

We are currently getting everything ready for tomorrows trip, and will be heading down to Manchester soon.

The meet has begun, no turning back now

Cheers

Cris.

Mystery tour - 01/09/2007 22:23

The closely guarded details of Saturday's mystery tour were gradually revealed.

We started at the Anderton boat lift, a marvel of industrial revolution achievement:

http://www.andertonboatlift.co.uk/

Then on to the Antony Gormley 3km x 1km "sculpture" at the beach at Crosby:

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=6216

Then we went onto Blackpool for fish and chips, and the fabled Blackpool Illuminations.

All of which had been on my list of things to do for a while, so well done Cris and Andy. A throughly British day out...

(photos to follow, my hotel broadband connection seems to be lacking somewhat in the broad department)
Posted by: music

Re: Mystery tour - 02/09/2007 00:01

Quote:
my hotel broadband connection seems to be lacking somewhat in the broad department

a-lass....

Re: Mystery tour - 02/09/2007 05:09

Ah, don't for get the Albert Docks. Although I didn't see much of that as I had to stay guard on the mini buses, it was Liverpool after all

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Mystery tour - 02/09/2007 05:13

Quote:
Ah, don't for get the Albert Docks.

Doh ! It is amazing the effect two and a half pints of Guinness in the afternoon can have on the memory...

Re: Mystery tour - 02/09/2007 08:15

What a grand day out! Cris, Andy and the girls worked so hard to achieve such a perfect day: Both in the preparation, and on the day.
An imaginative itinerary of things I've always meant to do! Well Done.
I decided that I couldn't hobble around Manchester on Sunday morning, so I've taken my doctor's advice and come home to put my feet up.
The final clincher was when there was no hot water in the Ibis!
Apologies to everyone for not saying goodbye.

Re: Mystery tour - 02/09/2007 13:16

If anyone would like to be a virtual attendee you can skype us at my account c***********s we can only take one stream at a time, but feel free to drop in

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Mystery tour - 02/09/2007 18:49

Quote:
What a grand day out! Cris, Andy and the girls worked so hard to achieve such a perfect day

I've just got home, and I wanted to echo this sentiment. I've had a great weekend. The mystery tour was phenomenal, and I was sorry to have to rush off so soon.

A Big Thank You To Everyone - 02/09/2007 20:34

Nicola and I would just like to thank everyone for making the effort to come to the event. I know travelling was a problem for most people this year, but I hope it was worth it

The high point for me was walking on Crosby Beach, it's the best part of a British day out when the Sun comes out just when you need it to.

It was great to see everyone enjoying themselves, I know I had a great time and I always thought the organisers were supposed to have a rubbish time! Although I can't remember when I was this tired before.

A big thanks to Rob S, Patrick and Pim for helping out this afternoon and bringing some interesting things for us to play with. Without your input Andy and I would have surely crashed and burned!

See you all next year, I enjoy being able to play the feely bag game again...

Cheers

Nicola & Cris

PS - Not having a camera with me I have no photo's so if people could share a few with me I would be most grateful
Posted by: drakino

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 03/09/2007 01:03

Quote:
A big thanks to Patrick for helping out this afternoon and bringing some interesting things for us to play with.

Glad to hear that pca did not cause any fire trucks to visit the event after all :-)

Thanks for allowing me to attend for a bit as a virtual participant. It looked like everyone was having a great time.

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 03/09/2007 08:44

Just wanted to say thanks to Andy and Cris for another awesome weekend, I loved every minute. It was really great to see all you guys again and already looking forward to next year!

It was brilliant

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 03/09/2007 11:10

Thanks for such a great weekend, we really enjoyed ourselves.

Quote:

PS - Not having a camera with me I have no photo's so if people could share a few with me I would be most grateful

http://www.norman.cx/photos/?r=Empeg%20European%20meet%202007

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 03/09/2007 19:24

I just got home in rainy Holland.
Thanks everyone, i had a great weekend.
I'll post some photo's tomorrow, bedtime now.

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 03/09/2007 21:12

Here is a fairly low quality attempt at a panoramic view of the Sunday meet (click for a larger version).

Looking at the photo I've just remembered how good the steak and ale pie was, now I'm hungry
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 03/09/2007 23:45

Nice pics Andy.
Look like a fun time was to be had.
Posted by: julf

Re: Mystery tour - 04/09/2007 05:29

Indeed, looks like it was a great meet. Too bad I was stuck on the sofa with my foot in a package

I wanted to at least pop in virtually over skype, but unfortunately a couple of old friend from the US happened to be in Holland and popped in Sunday afternoon to see how I was doing - couldn't really tell them "OK, find something to read, I will be on the computer for the next half an hour"

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 07:05

That's a really good picture Andy!

Do you mind if I forward that onto The Lass for their website ???

Cheers

Cris.

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 07:07

Feel free, I did try creating a larger one, but then all the joins and the noise start to show up too much. I need an external flash...

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 19:14

Here's my pictures:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~schido/fotos/2007%20Empeg%20meet/index.html

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 19:21

Great photos Bas

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 19:55

Okay, what's the deal with The Hacienda/Factory family tree?

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 20:04

It was at the entrance of the hacienda exhibition in urbis (the building where andym works)

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 04/09/2007 20:27

Okay, well, that makes sense.
Posted by: robricc

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 05/09/2007 11:30

My pics are up. As usual, I go for quantity rather than quality.
http://robricc.smugmug.com/gallery/6119533_gjNYK

Thanks again to Cris, Andy, Nicola and Amy!

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 05/09/2007 15:00

Quote:
Thanks again to Cris, Andy, Nicola and Amy!

Glad to hear you got back ok, I think that is everyone home safely then (although Chris is still on holiday so technically not home yet!)

An update on the XL t-shirts, another order has been placed and I can pick them up on Monday, I will ship them out next week.

Thanks again to everyone, and thanks for the great pictures!

Cheers

Cris.

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 05/09/2007 18:59

Despite being totally knackering, I had such a great time and pretty much enjoyed every single minute of it. I only took a few pics with my phone so it's probably not worth posting them!

T-Shirt Warning !!! - 05/09/2007 18:59

A few people have reported problems with the screen printing on the rear of this years t-shirt. I appears the ink will wash out of the shirts, so please don't wash them together with anything else until I have it sorted.

I will contact the manufacturer in the morning to discuss the problem, I was really happy with the shirts this year, but not only has the manufacturer let me down on numbers it now appears the quality if far short of acceptable.

I apologise for this, and will hopefully has a solution to the problem shortly.

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 05/09/2007 19:27

We had a custom T-shirt made recently and we were instructed to iron it before washing it for the first time.

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 05/09/2007 19:49

I have to say that the quality of the shirts, apart from the rear screen printing, is excellent. Far, far better than most low volume branded stuff.

And my jacket is brilliant

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 06/09/2007 12:09

I have spoken to them, it appears the gas has run out on the machine that cures the printing, they send their apologies and are going to re run the entire batch for us.

When I have them in my hand I will wash and dry one to make sure and then post them on to you all.

They have told me to write off the ones you already have, I did think it may be worth trying the iron trick suggested above. If anyone does can you let me know how it goes.

I suppose one thing had to go wrong, the shirts will be worth it in the end

Cheers

Cris.

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 06/09/2007 12:11

Quote:

Glad you are happy with it

It has to be one of the most exclusive items that bear the empeg name, only 3 ever in existance

Cheers

Cris.

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 06/09/2007 13:04

Quote:
Quote:

Glad you are happy with it

It has to be one of the most exclusive items that bear the empeg name, only 3 ever in existance

Better make sure I don't lose mine now......

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 06/09/2007 13:22

When i was helping someone with screen printing, we used to turn the shirt inside out, put a large sheet of cardboard in, and iron it then.
That should make sure it holds when you wash them.

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 06/09/2007 13:24

Ironically the label in the shirts warns not to iron the printed area...

Re: T-Shirt Warning !!! - 06/09/2007 14:03

That's why you turn it inside out first, and iron the printing from the inside.

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 06/09/2007 17:37

Martina and myself would like to thank everybody for the great weekend - especially Cris, Andy, Nicola and Amy for their effort to make the meet a success.

My photos are now online

Cheers,
-Peter

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 06/09/2007 17:44

Some great shots in there, looks like you were the only one to get decent shots of Patrick's laser in action. I don't mind admitting that I was hiding behind my hands when you took these shots:

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 06/09/2007 17:50

Yea, I love the look on Patrick's face in the first one. Great shot!

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 09/09/2007 20:12

Well, I don't know about a rubbish time, it's usually just a bit stressful until the party gets started.

Well done you guys, a brilliant weekend was had. And as an ex-organiser (for now, that is) I can say that honestly. A Grand Day Out!
Posted by: schofiel

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 09/09/2007 20:14

Note the sheer, unmitigated glee on his face as he is setting fire to things.....

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 11/09/2007 17:48

Ok, I now have all the t-shirts.

Everyone who took a shirt at the meet will be sent a new one, I will be sending them all over the next couple of days to the address that was given on sign up (Rob S I'll send yours to pca if that's ok).

They look ok (although they did last time!) but I will test one before I send any out. They are the same design, but you can wear these ones more than once

Please let me know via PM if you want it sending to a different address, but be quick!

Cheers

Cris.

Re: A Big Thank You To Everyone - 11/09/2007 21:33

Thanks all for a great weekend. I really liked the Mystery Tour and I was lucky, if I'd have gone to Manchester for other reasons than an Empeg Meet, I'd want to see Liverpool as well, an I did.

Here's more photos, including another one featuring

Patrick In Action

Pim