They took our ideas (again!)

Posted by: pca

They took our ideas (again!) - 14/11/2007 10:46

Damn. Yet another idea that is patented years after we had it. Hugo and I were discussing this exact same idea nearly 10 years ago!

pca
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 15/11/2007 00:26

Must be hell on all those Yokohama's, Kumho's, and Sumitomo's.
Posted by: music

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 15/11/2007 03:32

Ok, this is not directly related.
But your post brought to mind the "singing" Tesla coils that Robotic linked to a while back.
Posted by: altman

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 17/11/2007 03:54

To be fair, I was planning to make the rumble strips on the side of the motorway say "wake up" if we had enough resolution on the average set of tyres

Hugo
Posted by: Robotic

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 17/11/2007 14:06

Would the strips be lane related? You could mix in a little 'Dance-Dance Revolution' in with your freeway time!

On another note (ha!), I recently had a rental car with Sirius satellite radio and was truly disappointed in the lack of a 'next track' button!
Posted by: music

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 19/11/2007 05:17

Quote:
I was planning to make the rumble strips on the side of the motorway say "wake up"

OK, now that is cool!

I guess, in a sense, you could use spectrographic techniques similar to those from the favorite songs to watch thread.
Well, actually, more the inverse of that. But you get my drift.
Fun with Fourier.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 20/11/2007 00:54

They work fine the way they are. I won't tell how I know this.
Posted by: peter

Re: They took our ideas (again!) - 17/12/2007 11:34

What's that old saying? Those who don't understand track profiles are condemned to reinvent them? This doesn't look all that new, but I only just found it: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Moodbar

There's even a "paper" linked from that page, claiming that "little research has been openly published" into this problem. Yes. That's because we -- mainly Toby -- completely solved it nine years ago. ;\)

Peter