windows process identification

Posted by: msaeger

windows process identification - 30/12/2007 23:57

Can any recommend a windows process identification program ? I have too many things running and I can not tell where they are from.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: windows process identification - 31/12/2007 00:05

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

The above is the formerly Sysinternals Process Explorer.

I think that's what you want.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: windows process identification - 31/12/2007 00:08

This is an interesting idea.

There are plenty of programs that will show you which processes are running. There are plenty of web sites that have databases of process names and which will give a general description of what that process does and whether or not it's harmful or beneficial.

I do this a lot: See an unfamiliar process running, or an unfamiliar item in the "Run" section of the registry, then I google that name and see what folks on the net have to say about it.

It'd be nice to combine those into one program that lets you see all the running processes and looks up their names in the database, all in one window.

Perhaps some of those popular "System cleaner" or "System optimizer" utilities already do this?
Posted by: msaeger

Re: windows process identification - 31/12/2007 00:16

Yep I found that one it has some good info but I just wanted to see if anyone knows about anything better.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: windows process identification - 31/12/2007 00:20

Originally Posted By: msaeger
Yep I found that one it has some good info but I just wanted to see if anyone knows about anything better.

I use Process Explorer too. It almost does what you want. If you right-click on any of your tasks, it should have an option for searching for the task in Google. Not quite what you were asking, but it eliminates a couple steps.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: windows process identification - 31/12/2007 00:22

Originally Posted By: Dignan
If you right-click on any of your tasks, it should have an option for searching for the task in Google.

Ah, yeah, that's the sort of thing I was talking about. I didn't know Process Explorer had that feature. Cool. :-)
Posted by: Attack

Re: windows process identification - 31/12/2007 02:07

ProcessQuickLink adds a searchbox into the Windows Tasks manager.

Taskinfo and IBProcMan are the programs I've used as alternatives to windows task manager.