Replacing Ixus 400?

Posted by: Roger

Replacing Ixus 400? - 06/04/2008 15:20

My Canon Ixus 400 is playing up. It keeps reporting "Memory Card Error". Now, it's entirely possible that it is a memory card problem (I'm using Jessop's own-brand cards), but they were fine when I got them.

Either way, I'm looking for a new camera. I'd like something with comparable features to the 400, but I want something smaller, so that I'm more likely to actually use the thing (I took a grand total of 12 photos on a long-weekend ski trip).

I had a quick look at DPReview, but I'm a little behind the curve in terms the current market.

One thing I'd quite like to resolve -- but I don't know if it's possible in a compact camera -- is the delay between pressing the button and the picture being token.

So, what's hot?
Posted by: andym

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 06/04/2008 15:53

I'm liking the look of the Canon Powershot G9. I'd like a 450D but it seems a little bulky.
Posted by: pca

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 06/04/2008 16:04

As far as the "memory card error" message is concerned, it may well be fixable by replacing the internal battery, it's a common problem with that model.

As far as a new camera goes, I can recommend the Casio EX-1050Z. it's small, light, fast, and cheap. The picture quality is really pretty damn good. Other than that, most of the current crop of 8MP+ canon compacts are also very good.

pca

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 06/04/2008 17:46

Originally Posted By: pca
As far as the "memory card error" message is concerned, it may well be fixable by replacing the internal battery, it's a common problem with that model.

Now you mention that, I recall that I asked exactly the same question a while ago blush

I'll look at opening it up this week or next...

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 06/04/2008 17:48

Originally Posted By: andym
I'm liking the look of the Canon Powershot G9.

Looks nice, but I want something smaller than that. I plan to have (eventually) a DSLR for lugging around, and something really small for taking spur-of-the-moment pictures (but that's better than my Nokia 6300 phone).
Posted by: furtive

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 10/04/2008 12:53

this is a known problem with Canon IXUS 400's and Canon will* fix it for free no matter how old it is:

https://self-service-kb.canon-europe.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=37,E=0000000000405489546,K=1153,Sxi=15,Case=obj(45929)

*possibly

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 10/04/2008 13:44

Originally Posted By: furtive
this is a known problem with Canon IXUS 400's and Canon will* fix it for free no matter how old it is

Cool. Still need a working camera for when my firstborn appears (sometime in the next 1-2 weeks), though smile
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 10/04/2008 14:33

And so the sleepless night begin.
Good luck and enjoy the wee one.
Posted by: tman

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 10/04/2008 16:01

Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: furtive
this is a known problem with Canon IXUS 400's and Canon will* fix it for free no matter how old it is

Cool. Still need a working camera for when my firstborn appears (sometime in the next 1-2 weeks), though smile

Congratulations smile
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 10/04/2008 20:00

Oooh, congratulations!

I picked up my new SLR already but will make sure to get a nice macro lens for conception. wink When the baby comes maybe I can use that as an excuse for an ultra fast prime. I knew I was going to love parenthood...

Re: Replacing Ixus 400? - 20/04/2008 06:20

The firstborn still hasn't made an appearance, but we popped up to Tottenham Court Road last weekend and came back with a Canon Ixus 80 IS (oh, and a Samsung Q45). I'll contact one of the authorised repair centres at some point this week and see about getting the Ixus 400 repaired.