Strange wallpaper changer question.

Posted by: burdell1

Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 15:55

I recently reformatted my hard drive to see if it would help speed up my computer and I reinstalled a program that I use (Image Carousel II) that is a wallpaper changer. i have it set to change the wallpaper every hour. However, when I reboot the computer, it loads with just a black screen and the wallpaper doesn't change until the next assigned time. Is there any way to fix this (it used to do this way back when, but at some point it quit doing it.) Or, is there another good wallpaper changer that can have different folders of wallpapers that can be changed hourly (I have tried a bunch today that are complete crap.) Sorry if my explanation of the problem doesn't make sense smile
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 16:15

Some wallpaper changers rely on the Windows Desktop feature that allows the desktop to be an HTML document. Perhaps you need to enable that feature.

Another possibility is that there's a setting in Carousel that delays how long after bootup that the first change happens. Perhaps it's trying to make the change too soon and you need to add more delay onto it.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 20:02

Hmmm... That sounds like Windows Genuine Advantage taking over. Tut tut.

Is the copy of Windows legit?

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 20:14

Wow, I didn't know about that "feature", but sure enough, that's one of the things that WGA does.

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 20:51

I think it's only a recently released "feature"

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 20:54

Also I like the way it's such a simple thing like changing the desktop to black specifically targetting Chinese users. Someone must have done some research - how much can we annoy Asian users in a simple fashion?

Whilst that article mentions it breaks some Office programs I personally doubt that it really does.

i.e. overall the PC works just fine still...

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 21:02

Your post implies that "black" is somehow specific to target Chinese users. I would think that the desktop would become black no matter where the user lived.

Are you saying there's some cultural significance to the color?

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 21:44

No - not my intention. Not really anything with black in particular. I don't know if black has any significance

I more meant that just taking away whatever the user had as their background was enough. I've seen enough machines in Asia with cutesy desktops etc
Posted by: tman

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 22/10/2008 22:47

Originally Posted By: Shonky
No - not my intention. Not really anything with black in particular. I don't know if black has any significance

I more meant that just taking away whatever the user had as their background was enough. I've seen enough machines in Asia with cutesy desktops etc

You telling me that only Chinese people use wallpaper and that blanking it out is a specific penalty towards them? Right...

There isn't any significance of black for Chinese people. If it was red or white then maybe but even so, nobody is going to be bothered about it.

The wallpaper changing is just something that makes it obvious something is wrong and it doesn't negatively impact its operation.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 00:05

I have, not infrequently, set my desktop to black on purpose.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 01:18

OS X has this feature built into the OS. Time to switch smile

I'm sure Mark will chime in and say it's available on Gnome or KDE too smile

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 01:47

Originally Posted By: tman
Originally Posted By: Shonky

You telling me that only Chinese people use wallpaper and that blanking it out is a specific penalty towards them? Right...

There isn't any significance of black for Chinese people. If it was red or white then maybe but even so, nobody is going to be bothered about it.

The wallpaper changing is just something that makes it obvious something is wrong and it doesn't negatively impact its operation.

To some extent specifically, yes:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=49186
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/viewthread.php?gid=2&tid=618678
http://www.china.org.cn/china/national/2008-10/17/content_16630207.htm
http://virtualreview.org/tech/zoom/785585/microsoft-sued-in-china-for-black-screen-of-death

...and so on...

The average Western "pirate" is not going to care that much.
Posted by: tman

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 02:44

The Chinese users are pissed off that WGA is triggering on their pirated copy of Windows not that the wallpaper is going black. They're not that attached to their wallpaper.
Posted by: burdell1

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 03:24

My copy of Vista is a purchased one. I think the black background is a coincidence to those other ones......TFabris.what were you saying about activating the html feature?
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 06:34

What's "pirated" software? I don't understand...
Posted by: Tim

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 11:58

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I have, not infrequently, set my desktop to black on purpose.

All my desktops are black on purpose. I find it easier on the eyes and less painful trying to find desktop icons than if there is a picture or some other color behind it.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 13:17

Originally Posted By: Tim
All my desktops are black on purpose.

My desktops tend to be a solid (dark) colour, but not usually black.

I'm tempted to create a subtle gradient colour background...

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 17:34

Originally Posted By: burdell1
My copy of Vista is a purchased one. I think the black background is a coincidence to those other ones......TFabris.what were you saying about activating the html feature?

Ah. You didn't say Vista before. The HTML desktop feature was something that could be turned on and off in earlier versions of Windows, but I don't see a way to do that in Vista, so it's not likely related.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Strange wallpaper changer question. - 23/10/2008 23:26

Wasn't that called "Active Desktop"