MagicJack

Posted by: tanstaafl.

MagicJack - 31/12/2008 02:59

I've been seeing the advertisements on television for this MagicJack VOIP system. Does anyone have any experience with it or know things abut it, good or bad?

Also, can someone point me in the right direction where I can research availability and price of high-speed internet availability in Ajijic, Mexico (about 30 miles south of Guadalajara)?

tanstaafl.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: MagicJack - 31/12/2008 04:09

The Wikipedia page is not very positive. Any reason you wouldn't want to go with a more established VoIP provider? I mean, I know it's "free", but it's not like other services are really expensive.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: MagicJack - 31/12/2008 11:28

I got the impression that it was pretty portable, so it's less of a home VOIP solution and more of a backup on the road.

At home, if I were going VOIP, I'd probably try out Ooma.
Posted by: oliver

Re: MagicJack - 01/01/2009 14:19

I went with Flowroute as my main VOIP provider. The call quality is amazing, they support G729, and their customer service outstanding. The past month at Flowroute ran about $1.86 for around 200 minutes of calls. Granted you don't get voicemail, or any other advanced features but you can easily create your own with FreeSwitch or Asterisk.

I'm trying to port a couple DIDs from BroadVoice, which is the worst VOIP provider on the planet, into Flowroute. They keep blocking the requests due to "account mismatch", and refuse to provide any real helpful information. I just got billed another month of service, so I'm sure the ports will succeed this month.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: MagicJack - 04/01/2009 21:36

Both Ooma and Flowrate sound fantastic (for different reasons) but one commonality makes them unusable for me. Neither support Canadian area codes (and in the case of Ooma Canadian unlimited calling as well).

I'd love to set up Flowrate and then service multiple numbers with my own PBX. I haven't a clue how to set that up, but I'm sure if I could get the area code I wanted, someone here could hook a brother up with the information. wink