winzip alternative

Posted by: msaeger

winzip alternative - 22/05/2009 22:27

I have been using a really old version of stuff-it but the current version doesn't do what I want so I am looking for something else. With the old stuff-it I could set it so I just had to double click the file and if there was only one file in the zip it would just unzip it, put the extracted file the same place as the zip, and delete the zip. If it had multiple files it would do the same thing only put all the files into a folder.

Is there something else out there that will work like this ?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: winzip alternative - 22/05/2009 22:53

Most archiver utilities will put entries in your context menu to do things like that. I'm not aware of one that will do that just by double-clicking, but it's possible.

Actually, you might check out ExtractNow. It doesn't create archives, but I think it extracts exactly the way you want. (You could always install another utility for creation.)
Posted by: msaeger

Re: winzip alternative - 22/05/2009 23:23

That one is perfect it pretty much looks like a clone of stuff-it extractor. I do not really need to create archives but I need to extract them a lot so something simple like this is the best.

Thanks for the find !
Posted by: Shonky

Re: winzip alternative - 24/05/2009 01:45

Not sure whether it can do what you want with the double clicking, but 7-Zip ( http://www.7-zip.org ) is a nice free and clean archiver/dearchiver. Supports .rar, .iso and other formats as well.
Posted by: tahir

Re: winzip alternative - 24/05/2009 08:06

I like 7-zip too
Posted by: Jehovah

Re: winzip alternative - 24/05/2009 11:42

I caused Z-Zip.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: winzip alternative - 24/05/2009 14:09

Another vote for 7-zip.
I found it on The Open Disk project.
Posted by: tman

Re: winzip alternative - 24/05/2009 14:25

Originally Posted By: Jehovah
I caused Z-Zip.

Isn't this sock puppet joke getting a bit old now?

Another vote for 7-Zip. Replaced all of the trial copies of WinZip at work with it and nobody complained/noticed. I don't think it does the auto unzip thing tho...

Re: winzip alternative - 26/05/2009 15:05

I guess it's just me, but I hate archiver programs that are also file managers. I always have to look all around the GUI to figure out whether I'm looking inside an archive or at the file system.

Re: winzip alternative - 26/05/2009 16:06

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I guess it's just me, but I hate archiver programs that are also file managers. I always have to look all around the GUI to figure out whether I'm looking inside an archive or at the file system.
You mean like Windows Explorer?
I hate that, too. It just opens up the archive like it's another directory.

Re: winzip alternative - 26/05/2009 16:56

Or like 7-Zip.

Re: winzip alternative - 26/05/2009 19:37

True. I share your pain.
At least 7-Zip's interface looks slightly different than an Explorer window. You can give me that much. wink