Ram Drives on Windows 7?

Posted by: drakino

Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 04/12/2009 18:57

Anyone know of a RamDrive utility that will work on Windows 7 64 bit?

I guess I should qualify this with free would be good.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 04/12/2009 19:30

Does this work?
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 04/12/2009 21:09

The link for the actual Ramdisk program on the site is broken.

Updated product page link: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

DIrect download links: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk/download-ramdisk

The new beta version claims it's compatible with all versions of Windows 7, so you may not have to hack around with the instructions that Bitt linked.

Going to try and use this to test out how fast my Windows machine can read/write to my ReadyNAS. wink

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 04/12/2009 21:52

It looks like what you linked to Bruno works without having to muck with anything, so I didn't need the info in Bitt's post. The only downside so far is that it limits a ram drive to 4GB until you "register". The registration page is just a general contact us form, so who knows what the turnaround time is.

If I cam make a 7GB ram disk, I should be able to test what I need to. Thanks for finding the program Bitt.
Posted by: Ross Wellington

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 08/12/2009 02:14

Hi,

I've been looking for this as well to use for simulation performance enhancement on my home i7 system.

Ross

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 08/12/2009 02:45

I still haven't heard back from them regarding a version that supports drives larger then 4GB. I'll probably fill our their form again tomorrow if nothing comes in by then.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 08/12/2009 11:46

Originally Posted By: Ross Wellington
I've been looking for this as well to use for simulation performance enhancement on my home i7 system.

Replace the boot/system drive with a *good* SSD.

-ml
Posted by: Ross Wellington

Re: Ram Drives on Windows 7? - 10/12/2009 01:02

Thought about that too.

Thanks,

Ross