The Who used to be subversive

Posted by: jimhogan

The Who used to be subversive - 07/02/2010 23:18

Yes, The Who were at one time a symbol of he counterculture. Nearly subversive. Like Lenny Bruce or something. Imagine that.

Who are you?
Posted by: msaeger

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 00:35

Yeah it's better when bands breakup instead of playing into their geriatric period.
Posted by: lectric

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 02:14

Glad I was not the only one to think that.... Both Townshend and Daltrey both sounded... off. I just wish Townshend had worn a shirt that wouldn't have come unbuttoned at the bottom. Ewww.

At any rate, Geaux Saints!
Posted by: Robotic

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 02:51

Old-age wasteland
(oh yeah)
Posted by: boxer

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 10:26

Wasn't there a song: "Hope I die before I get old", oh yes, it was a Who song!
All I can add is that I once had a suit made by the same tailor as Pete Townsend, and the tailor confided in me that his shoulder blades were like a pair of wings, almost impossible to fashion around!
Posted by: Dignan

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 12:28

Originally Posted By: lectric
I just wish Townshend had worn a shirt that wouldn't have come unbuttoned at the bottom. Ewww.

Agreed. But even more, I wish he had worn his jacket differently, so that every single time he did his windmills, the end of his jacket wouldn't fall all over the strings. I think it caused all sorts of problems toward the end of the show.

And yeah, they weren't sounding all that great, though Daltrey definitely warmed up throughout. His scream sure was more hardcore smile

Quote:
At any rate, Geaux Saints!

Agreed. I'm happy for the New Orleans.
Posted by: Ross Wellington

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 13:41

Hi,

I didn't hear it "Pure and Easy" either, it seemed more "harsh and strained". At least he didn't use any expletives on Who Are You on the air.

When I get old, I hope I have that much energy non-stop for 16 minutes.

Although, other than the jacket incident that Matt pointed out, there wasn't any - wardrobe malfunctions.

Ross
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: The Who used to be subversive - 08/02/2010 15:00

Originally Posted By: Dignan
I wish he had worn his jacket differently, so that every single time he did his windmills, the end of his jacket wouldn't fall all over the strings.

I didn't see the show, but I know exactly what you're talking about, because he's been doing that for years. I don't know why he doesn't wear a different sort of jacket, but he's apparently got some reason, because it's not a new problem. Maybe it's a backlash against those white jumpsuits he wore during the 70s.