Auto leather upholstery repair

Posted by: wfaulk

Auto leather upholstery repair - 15/07/2011 15:39

The other day I was working in the car and sweating like a pig. When I was done, it didn't occur to me to wipe the seat down. Now the leather of the passenger seat has gone all hard in areas. I've been trying to fix it with some leather conditioner, and it seems to be helping a little, but not as much as I'd like.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can better repair this? Or should I just keep on with the leather conditioner? And does someone have a recommendation for leather conditioner? I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner, but there seem to be some specialty products out there that imply that most, if not all, of the retail products are either useless or actively bad.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 15/07/2011 16:52

Related: i have some small tears in the leather under my rear seat and the backs of the front buckets, and some minor cracking under the driver's butt. home repair possible or should i take it somewhere?
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 15/07/2011 17:46

After it was recommended to me by some car restorers I know, I've always used Lexol products. I've never had to treat a hard spot like you're describing though.

Of course, keep buying the Meguiar's products and support my 401K. wink
Posted by: larry818

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 15/07/2011 22:36

I've used Connolly's hide food on my Jag's leather with good results.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 15/07/2011 22:46

Another vote for Lexol.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 16/07/2011 05:32

I use Leatherique here. Not sure how it would do in this particular situation but it certainly does pull a lot of dirt out of the leather and makes it softer.

Make sure you test it in an inconspicuous area first.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 16/07/2011 09:37

I use only Connelly's Hide food, I haven't bothered with anything else.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 16/07/2011 13:52

Would all the advice here apply to most leather furniture? I have an old stressless rocker with pretty hard leather now, and lots of cracks. Is there anything that can be done about the cracks, other than throwing the thing away? smile

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 16/07/2011 16:07

I've decided to try some Leatherique. It gets consistently good reviews, it's been around for a while, and it's clear that they spend no money on marketing.

Re: Auto leather upholstery repair - 16/07/2011 16:07

Leatherique has a crack repair product.