Once Upon a Time

Posted by: gbeer

Once Upon a Time - 31/10/2011 02:41

I like it. So far.

But I suspect the story doesn't have legs.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Once Upon a Time - 31/10/2011 22:12

They need to have an ending planned.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Once Upon a Time - 01/11/2011 19:32

...and they all lived happily after?
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Once Upon a Time - 01/11/2011 22:57

The Queen offered up some Red Delicious apples and incorrectly called them Honeycrisps. OMFG.

Everyone knows that Honeycrisps look more like McIntosh and nothing at all like Red Delicious.

So far I'm liking Grimm a lot better, even though it's completely derivative. Buffy, Reaper, Supernatural, etc.

Re: Once Upon a Time - 01/11/2011 23:51

I think it's funny that there are now two spin on classic fairy tale shows going at the same time.

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 00:18

Grimm - yes I'll be watching more of that too.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 02:28

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
So far I'm liking Grimm a lot better, even though it's completely derivative. Buffy, Reaper, Supernatural, etc.

Supernatural was my first thought. In their first couple seasons, they had a large number of episodes devoted to common urban legends like "the hook man" or Bloody Mary. They're different kinds of tales but pretty similar.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 14:17

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Everyone knows that Honeycrisps look more like McIntosh and nothing at all like Red Delicious.

I didn't.

But now I do. smile
Posted by: peter

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 15:27

Red Delicious are indeed red. That's pretty much all you can say about the accuracy of their name, though.

Cox's Orange Pippin every time. Though that's only because it's so hard to find Egremont Russet or Worcester Pearmain.

Peter
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 17:14

I prefer to think of them as the "Red Mealy-and-Flavorless".

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 19:53

Originally Posted By: wfaulk

Ugh. Agreed.

Honeycrisps are delicious (actually delicious, not red delicious-delicious), but have short seasons and high prices. The rest of the year I'm partial to pink lady apples.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 21:27

High prices and short season check here too. We have a lot of supply from local growers (as close as just a few mins drive), so at the right time of year, it's not a problem to get as many as you want.

I had originally written something negative about Red Delicious as well, but removed that part of the comment lest I start an apple (with a small "a") flame war. wink
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 21:51

Here, any apple is a treat. Seriously. The selection is poor and they're a dollar each. People buy them to give to their kids on Christmas as treats. You can pretty much only find red and golden delicious. Occasionally, I can find gala, but they're very small. I still buy them.

On the other hand, things like bananas are poor people fruit. You can get them 8 for a dollar and they don't sell them in the grocery stores - only the vegetable markets.

wait...wasn't this thread about a TV show?

Re: Once Upon a Time - 02/11/2011 22:29

Honeycrisps here in their birthplace smile were 1.50 a pound at the orchard we went to. I think they are about the same at the stores.

They pretty much are gone after the fall I don't understand why they aren't growing those other places so they are around all year like every other produce item.

Food is really pretty cheap considering what it takes to grow and ship. I mean bananas here while not 8 for a dollar are only 50 cents a pound and they aren't growing them anywhere near Minnesota smile
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 00:27

Originally Posted By: msaeger
Honeycrisps here in their birthplace smile were 1.50 a pound at the orchard we went to. I think they are about the same at the stores.

They pretty much are gone after the fall I don't understand why they aren't growing those other places so they are around all year like every other produce item.

Food is really pretty cheap considering what it takes to grow and ship. I mean bananas here while not 8 for a dollar are only 50 cents a pound and they aren't growing them anywhere near Minnesota smile

I think the red delicious cartel uses warehouses with cold temperatures and almost pure nitrogen atmosphere to keep them available year-round. The honeycrisp market isn't there, yet.

I also like jazz apples. Yum...

-jk

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 02:14

If its like the almond warehouse near here, the nitrogen is to fight pests. Rats, insects...
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 13:06

Originally Posted By: gbeer
If its like the almond warehouse near here, the nitrogen is to fight pests. Rats, insects...

And the bacterial pests, too, I think.

-jk
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 13:52

Originally Posted By: wfaulk

I'm not apple-literate, but I do know that your comment is true for me, as well.
My main default apple is golden delicious, but I can see from the rest of the comments that I have barely scratched the surface.

The only other apple info I've heard is that granny smiths are for pies.

TV? I don't watch it.

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 15:33

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
wait...wasn't this thread about a TV show?

Who reads a thread for its original topic?

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 15:36

Originally Posted By: msaeger
I don't understand why they aren't growing those other places so they are around all year like every other produce item.

According to honeycrisp.org, they aren't the easiest apple to grow.

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 18:32

Tradition seems to prohibit staying on topic. smile
Posted by: larry818

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 20:43

I was going to say it's nice to see Trina from Swingtown in another role, but that would be breaking with tradition, so I won't.

Re: Once Upon a Time - 03/11/2011 22:43

Nope, the topic had already shifted to apples...
Posted by: larry818

Re: Once Upon a Time - 04/11/2011 00:57

In that case, Springville, California, has the world's best apples.
Posted by: Ross Wellington

Re: Once Upon a Time - 04/11/2011 03:28

Hi,

I like to eat Granny Smiths fresh or in a pie.

Ross

Re: Once Upon a Time - 04/11/2011 12:07

Originally Posted By: Ross Wellington

Mmm, or with some peanut butter...

Re: Once Upon a Time - 04/11/2011 14:35

Never tried the peanut butter.

Good with caramel though - sour & sweet mix.

Ross

Re: Once Upon a Time - 04/11/2011 17:43

Originally Posted By: Ross Wellington

In that case, then, you might like to try them stuffed. Core, and hollow out an apple (don't puncture the bottom or sides!), and fill it with your favourite cobbler/crisp topping (brown sugar, butter, flour and rolled oats, if you need a suggestion). Bake @ 325 'til the apple is tender, and the crisp is nicely browned on top. Yum.

Re: Once Upon a Time - 04/11/2011 23:15

Thaaaat does sound good!!!!

Ross