Identify this species?

Posted by: tfabris

Identify this species? - 19/12/2011 02:01

I see these around the master bathroom frequently. Usually dead, but sometimes alive. Today one live one was discovered when I was changing the sheets, prompting me to finally try to ID the species.

They are exceptionally small, about the size of a grain of rice.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Identify this species? - 19/12/2011 04:33

Are the fringes, legs?
Posted by: Cris

Re: Identify this species? - 19/12/2011 08:18

Some kind of variant of these ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug
Posted by: peter

Re: Identify this species? - 19/12/2011 09:03

Anthrenus verbasci?

Peter
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Identify this species? - 19/12/2011 16:13

Originally Posted By: peter

+1

Re: Identify this species? - 19/12/2011 22:10

Crap. Brand new house. Wonder why I see them in the *bathroom* where there's no carpets? Rarely see them around any cloth, they're usually just crawling (or dead) on the tile floor or some such.

Glad they're not bedbugs. I had already ruled that out. Housemate once had a bedbug infestation where he lived in Canada, so I'd looked at pics of those already. Scary!

Well, off to google for carpet beetle treatments.

THANK YOU ALL!
Posted by: Redrum

Re: Identify this species? - 20/12/2011 10:55

While cleaning out an old house I found these in a stack of old cloths. After removing the old cloths I never saw them again. You might want to go through any boxes of stored cloths.

In the bathroom they probably have a hard time going across a tile (I'm guessing tile here since I've not been in your bathroom, that you know) floor and die of a heart attack along the way.

Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Identify this species? - 20/12/2011 16:15

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Crap. Brand new house. Wonder why I see them in the *bathroom* where there's no carpets? Rarely see them around any cloth, they're usually just crawling (or dead) on the tile floor or some such.

We also have a brand new house (3-4 years old, first owners), and have them, as well. We usually see them around the baseboards along carpeted areas where the cat hair tends to collect, but we also see them on the tile floors of our bathroom, too. Let me know what you find with your googling...

Re: Identify this species? - 20/12/2011 18:51

Googling seems to indicate that they tend to have a "source" for a specific "infestation" and that I need to locate and get rid of that source.

Googling also says that a bit of Boric Acid sprinkled on the carpet will kill them all. Haven't gone that route yet since I don't want to bleach my carpets.