Useful Windows trick

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Useful Windows trick - 03/09/2013 20:55

You guys probably already know this, but maybe some stranger will stumble across this bbs that doesn't know...

Sometimes my USB glitches and my mouse quits working. The only thing I know is to restart the system, but this is pretty hard to do without a mouse!

I found out that the ALT-F4 keystroke that closes the active window also works when all the windows are closed and only the desktop remains. Then, ALT-F4 takes you to a keyboard-friendly dialog box that allows an orderly shutdown.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Useful Windows trick - 03/09/2013 21:32

Indeed. I love keyboard shortcuts.

You can also do the typical Ctrl+Alt+Del and then tab around until you get the shut down button (depending on your version of Windows).
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Useful Windows trick - 04/09/2013 00:00

Originally Posted By: Dignan
You can also do the typical Ctrl+Alt+Del and then tab around until you get the shut down button (depending on your version of Windows).
Only with XP and earlier. Beginning with Vista, Ctrl-Alt-Del takes you to Task Manager, where without a mouse there is little you can accomplish.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Useful Windows trick - 04/09/2013 03:23

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Only with XP and earlier. Beginning with Vista, Ctrl-Alt-Del takes you to Task Manager, where without a mouse there is little you can accomplish.

I don't have a Vista computer in front of me, but 7 does not bring up the task manager.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Useful Windows trick - 04/09/2013 03:43

Task Manager appearing depends on older versions dependent on whether the PC was on a domain. If it was you'd get the dialog, if not it would jump direct to Task Manager.

From Task Manager you can still fairly easily shut down if it jumps straight to it.

I don't have an XP/Vista machine to try here, but Alt+<a key> will get you to a menu where you can select shutdown and then maybe you'll have to press enter. If Task Manager appears straight away with Ctrl+Alt+Del it will have a menu to shutdown/restart etc.

You can do almost anything with a keyboard only in Windows.