CD ripping on Linux?

Posted by: Roger

CD ripping on Linux? - 30/08/2014 14:43

Linux Mint; command-line (no GUI). No encoding -- just WAV. FreeDB lookup optional, but preferred.

I've tried 'jack', but it didn't quit when it had finished, didn't rename the files according to the FreeDB data, the progress window is _ugly_, and various other problems.

Ideas?
Posted by: mlord

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 30/08/2014 14:46

How about the cdfs-src package ?

Never used it myself, but the idea is it allows one to mount an audio CD as a filesystem, where each track appears as an ordinary WAVE audio file that can be copied off.

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 30/08/2014 15:20

Oh, easier:

cdparanoia --output-wav --batch

Or just Google it: https://www.google.ca/#q=linux+command-line+cd+ripper
Posted by: peter

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 30/08/2014 15:39

Yes, if you don't care about FreeDB lookup, or don't care about combining it with ripping, then you still can't do better than good old-fashioned cdparanoia. FreeDB's tags are best viewed as a "good first draft" and often need a bit of editing.

Peter
Posted by: Roger

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 30/08/2014 15:50

Originally Posted By: peter
FreeDB's tags are best viewed as a "good first draft" and often need a bit of editing.

I generally use them as a hint to MusicBrainz.
Posted by: andy

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 31/08/2014 08:59

My solution to Linux CD ripping is a copy of dbPoweramp running on WinXP in a VirtualBox instance. There really is no better CD ripper than dbPoweramp.

It is the same VBox instance that I ran on three machines simultaneously when reripping to FLAC the other year.

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 31/08/2014 09:38

Vbox needs a GUI, so disqualified here. smile
There are lots of very good GUI rippers native to Linux.

Cheers

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 31/08/2014 16:07

I've never fired up the VBox GUI on my Linux box. VBox provides RDP access to all the instances wink

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 31/08/2014 16:09

There are good CD rippers for Linux, but none of them are as complete and good as dbPoweramp.
Posted by: sein

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 31/08/2014 17:11

Back in the day I used 'rip', a Perl script that handled things nicely and did exactly what I think you want it to do.

Take a look: http://rip.sourceforge.net/ - last updated in 2003 but it should still be pretty useful.
Posted by: julf

Re: CD ripping on Linux? - 01/09/2014 10:29

My favourite is morituri

Command line, musicbrainz and accuraterip support, test and copy etc., and written in python.