Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower

Posted by: Redrum

Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 12:06

I've really got more projects going than I'll ever complete but I was thinking of add one more to the list. Maybe at the top.

I hate mowing the grass. I recently bought a new 60 inch zero turn mower and that has made it a little better, but I still hate it. Anyway, I got to thinking. To make this thing go and mow you just pull or push two levers. Not a lot going on here. I would think it wouldn't be too hard to hook up some servos to these levers and remote enable this thing. I could manually start it, turn on the blades and set the throttle. Then use a model airplane type remote setup to control it's movement. For safety I could hook a remote kill switch to the seat sensor that I could use to kill it if it became self-aware.

I live in the country so the chances of running over a neighbor is pretty low.

I think I could rig the servo arms so they could be disconnected easily so I could manually trim around trees and the like.

Any opinion on effort, money involved, etc?

Looks like I could even get parts used on a commercial version.....

http://www.summitmowers.com/residential.php
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 13:05

That's only an intermediate step towards the logical conclusion. And the conclusion has already been done:

http://www.robomow.com

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 13:14

Oh yea, those are pretty cool. But seeing I have about 6 acres to mow that won't quite do the job. Maybe by the time I need a new mower they will have one monster sized.

I'm hoping I can just "Fun up" the one I have.

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 15:32

Gotcha.

This is a riding mower, correct?

Have you ever watched Mythbusters? They are commonly tasked with rigging up a car or truck with model-airplane-style remote controls. Whenever they do it, it looks like they need to do it in a very heavy-duty fashion to make it work reliably. For example, the actuators look like they have to use either hydraulics or linear drives, and they've always got the top-of-the-line high-power radio controllers. Make sure that whatever you use is up to the task and isn't too weak to get the job done.

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 16:49

Good point. This is a 700 lb mower and not a 2 lb RC airplane. The linear actuators they use on Mythbusters look very expensive. I looked on ebay and found a few 12v actuators for around $100. I'm not sure if those will work I'll need to do some more research. I have several controllers that I might be able to use laying around and even an older receiver.

If I can keep this under $500 I might try to give it s go. I'm not sure is $500 would cover it all.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 20:51

You only need the heavy duty actuators iff you need a lot of force to drive the unit. For instance the brake pedal of a car still needs a reasonable amount of pressure (even with power brakes) to adequately stop. Similarly steering can require a bit of effort too.

If the controls are light to use then the servos/actuators can be accordingly lower duty. You won't be used model plane servos of course though.
Posted by: K447

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 21:24

How are you going to manage the navigation of the rigged mower?

Observing and remote controlling from any distance it might be difficult to drive in straight rows and follow a parallel pattern.

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 21:39

I'm sure it would be hilariously fun learning how.

If someone can remotely control this from a distance, a pokey little lawn mower should be quite easy by comparison.

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 23:11

I am so not a lawn guy. I don't care if I have a "grid pattern" on my lawn. So if I zig back and forth a few times at least I'm having fun. This guy seems to be having fun while mowing about everything twice....

http://hackaday.com/2011/08/25/how-not-to-build-a-robotic-lawnmower/

If will definitely take a learning curve. hopefully I will not mow down the house.

Re: Remote Controlled 60" Zero Turn Lawn Mower - 10/12/2014 23:20

I think what I'll need is probably a combination of speed and force. I'm thinking 35 lb's max with a 10" stroke as fast as ~$75 a piece will buy.