Portable player outreach

Posted by: snowcrash

Portable player outreach - 13/04/2017 23:52

This is kind of a poll triggered by an upcoming retirement and travel plans but also has to do with how I can best get music into my Fiat 500. Go figure.

OK, so you are going to Central and South America for 4-6 months and, while you want to hear local music, you also want to bring along your own favorite tunes, say up to 64GB worth.

Problem is, El Cheapo Airlines (a United partner) says that they will drag you off the aircraft if your music player weighs more than a few ounces and is any bigger than a big smart phone.

Of course you want to be able to play music by mood, genre and such. Assume you have nothing and must go buy something before your trip. What would you buy?

Jim
Posted by: larry818

Re: Portable player outreach - 14/04/2017 01:05

Get a 5th generation ipod nano and be happy.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Portable player outreach - 14/04/2017 03:51

Put the music on your iPhone?
Posted by: larry818

Re: Portable player outreach - 14/04/2017 04:52

The iPhone has a dreadful music player (strange for a device that has its roots in a music player) and I've tried a few replacement apps, also dreadful.

The ipods from a few years back were pretty ok.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Portable player outreach - 14/04/2017 16:59

Agreed completely! The current iPhone's music app is still miles behind Empeg when it comes to good shuffle play and smart interface. I really wish Apple would spend some extra attention to this. frown
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Portable player outreach - 14/04/2017 17:11

Originally Posted By: larry818
The ipods from a few years back were pretty ok.

You can replace the HDD in an iPod with an SD card and breath new life into them.
Posted by: snowcrash

Re: Portable player outreach - 14/04/2017 21:22

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Put the music on your iPhone?

I am glad I posed this question. I have an unlocked flip phone I have been when traveling, but I do have an Android phone that I can also take. I just haven't seen or found any app that comes within six million miles of our beloved (Empeg). Perhaps an older iPod might be worth trying if that is the best that can be done.