Dang...

Posted by: jmwking

Dang... - 21/05/2017 23:25

I hate checking in after a couple days to find no new posts!

This is one of my favo(u)rite sites!

I had a rewarding day volunteering at our local Special Olympics event. The best moment was when a kid - twice lapped in the 1500 - called out as she passed us the second time (with everyone else finished): "I! Don't! Quit!"

-jk
Posted by: K447

Re: Dang... - 21/05/2017 23:33

I find it refreshing that there are places on the internet where there is posting activity only when something interesting is occurring.

This is rare - so many places feel the need to draw/generate 'traffic'. Even if there is nothing of substance happening.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Dang... - 22/05/2017 02:19

Sounds like a great event. Love the anecdote.

The traffic is lighter than it used to be, but that kind of drop-off is pretty inevitable for a message board based around a product that hasn't been produced for almost 15 years.

We'll have fun in the meantime and see how long this ship keeps sailing! Much thanks to Tom and Andy.
Posted by: Tim

Re: Dang... - 22/05/2017 11:49

I was wondering if it was because the folks across the pond were dealing with the WannaCry crap that was going on.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Dang... - 22/05/2017 23:33

I still keep a tab open to the "off topic" board here. I check in most days to see what's up. Back in the day, I used to hang out in a number of other equivalent single-interest chat forums around other hobbies of mine, but I've left all those behind and still hang out here.

That said, I'm friends on Facebook and G+ with various subsets of the crowd here, and if we ever truly were going to kill off this board, we could consider replacing it with one of those. (Will G+ be long for this world? It wasn't particularly mentioned at all during Google I/O.)
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Dang... - 23/05/2017 17:34

Originally Posted By: DWallach
(Will G+ be long for this world? It wasn't particularly mentioned at all during Google I/O.)

It hasn't been particularly mentioned at all, nearly anywhere, for a long time.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Dang... - 24/05/2017 02:41

Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: DWallach
(Will G+ be long for this world? It wasn't particularly mentioned at all during Google I/O.)

It hasn't been particularly mentioned at all, nearly anywhere, for a long time.

There was a time when they claimed that Google+ was Google. Now apparently it's the Assistant. I don't think either will bear out as "The future of Google."
Posted by: andym

Re: Dang... - 03/06/2017 21:44

I still pop in from time to time to see what's going on. Nice to see most of the regulars still logging on.