Squeezebox Boom alternative?

Posted by: tahir

Squeezebox Boom alternative? - 04/09/2017 14:55

I have a few SB's around the house, the one that gets the most use is the Squeezebox Boom in our bedroom which handily displays the track info while playing and the time in standby. I haven't seen another one box solution that does the same so I'm a bit worried that if it dies I'm stuffed. Should I buy another Boom on eBay while they're still available, or is there an alternative (that'll play with Spotify and my local media collection)?
Posted by: pedrohoon

Re: Squeezebox Boom alternative? - 12/10/2017 11:15

I am using a Grace Digital Encore internet radio, mostly to play tracks from my NAS but some internet radio stuff too. It seems to work pretty well over Wi-Fi. Sound quality is OK given the small speaker size. The solid cabinet and downward facing sub probably help there. It does display the time in standby mode. The UI is OK but if you want random tracks for example, you have to select that option before selecting a playlist, you can't do it when in the playlist already.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Squeezebox Boom alternative? - 12/10/2017 16:42

Originally Posted By: tahir
.. displays the track info while playing and the time in standb ... that'll play with Spotify and my local media collection)?

The Roberts 93i has that functionality (and a lot more), with good built-in speakers, etc.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Squeezebox Boom alternative? - 13/10/2017 15:38

The aqueezebox boom hardware is really solid. Excellent build quality and design, and the auto-dimming VFD makes for an excellent bedside clock. No one hanging out here should judge you for buying a spare.
Posted by: andy

Re: Squeezebox Boom alternative? - 13/10/2017 17:39

Everyone should be judged for buying only one spare wink

I think I have six booms, three in use and three spare. Plus some Radios and a couple of Touches...
Posted by: tahir

Re: Squeezebox Boom alternative? - 17/10/2017 11:42

Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: tahir
.. displays the track info while playing and the time in standb ... that'll play with Spotify and my local media collection)?

The Roberts 93i has that functionality (and a lot more), with good built-in speakers, etc.

Nice, but I have the text on the Boom set to largest so that I can read it, nice clear simple display. Roberts looks fussy and little.

Looks like another Boom then smile