First F1 Race - Suggestions?

Posted by: Tim

First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 12/10/2017 16:54

I'm going to my first F1 race next week at Circuit of the Americas. Are there any suggestions on what to bring (binos, should I really worry about carrying a camera if I just want to enjoy the race) or any attractions/exhibits I shouldn't miss?

I'm excited, just wondering if I am prepared well enough (hat, sunscreen, earplugs, phone).
Posted by: mlord

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 12/10/2017 17:00

Ear plugs (or over-the-ear sound attenuators), and some form of FM radio with earbuds to fit under the attenuators.

Raincoat.
Posted by: K447

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 12/10/2017 18:06

Originally Posted By: Tim
... F1 race ... what to bring (binos ...
There was a thread on here recently regarding optically stabilized binoculars. I really like my Canon stabilized 10x, the stability really makes it easier to see what you are looking at.

Have a read of that thread for purchase suggestions.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 12/10/2017 21:27

any attractions/exhibits I shouldn't miss?

I have only been to the Montreal Gran Prix, but Austin should be similar enough.

There are usually lots of "support races" at the track on the same weekend as F1, so lots to watch especially Sunday morning.

In between sessions (Definitely attend Qualifying as well as the Race), you can probably wander around and find the garages for the support races without need for a more expensive pass like for the main paddock. Their owners will likely have them up on jacks for display and whatnot.

There should be continuous entertainment and freebies etc.. on the infield as well. So just go for the entire days (Saturday and Sunday) and soak it all up.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 13/10/2017 11:38

Originally Posted By: mlord
Raincoat.

I planned on packing a raincoat and a pancho. After seeing the 10 day forecast, I think I might throw an umbrella in the suitcase also.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 13/10/2017 11:39

I totally forgot about that thread. I ended up getting a pair of binoculars, they look small enough and are light enough to not be that big of a bother.

Originally Posted By: mlord
There should be continuous entertainment and freebies etc.. on the infield as well. So just go for the entire days (Saturday and Sunday) and soak it all up.

I was planning on watching all the free practices and qualifying, but I forgot about the support races. It sounds like there will definitely be enough to keep me busy all day, which is awesome.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 13/10/2017 16:38

Oh, and the Austin GP typically has a major concert on the grounds after the race, so perhaps look into that too!

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 13/10/2017 17:50

It is Stevie Wonder on Saturday and Justin Timberlake on Sunday.

I don't know anything about Timberlake and wouldn't be able to tell if his song was on the radio or not. When I ask about him here, people just laugh. So, I was going to skip it.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 13/10/2017 18:08

Isn't he the guy that was involved in the SuperBowl "Wardrobe Malfunction" many years back? Still around, I guess. smile
Posted by: sn00p

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 14/10/2017 03:41

As Mark said, don’t go without earplugs! F1 cars are LOUD and it’s a high pitched ear splitting loud!

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 16/10/2017 11:50

Originally Posted By: sn00p
As Mark said, don’t go without earplugs! F1 cars are LOUD and it’s a high pitched ear splitting loud!

I have ear plugs (the squishy foam ones) as well as a pair of Ear Defenders (which will also be plugged into the local FM broadcast, if available). I'm hoping that is enough.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 16/10/2017 19:52

Should be plenty. The current generation hybrid electric engines are considerably less howling than the previous generation non-hybrids.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 29/10/2017 01:51

We are expecting a full trip report here at some point!!

So, how did it go for you there?

????? smile

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 30/10/2017 11:58

The trip was awesome. My view at the top of Turn 1 (Row 30, top row) was just incredible. I was able to see the front straight, Turns 1, 2, part of the S's, part of the back straight, 16, 17, 18, front of 19 and back of 20. There was a large viewing screen right in front of us on the inside of Turn 1 and another smaller one down in front of T1. The Master's Championship cars were seriously cool, and the F4 cars were better than I was expecting. Everything was just fun to watch.

Contrary to most people there, I wore earplugs any time the cars were on the circuit. The two seaters really howled. When we first got dropped off over by the back straight, the Master's Championship cars were on the track for practice. My buddy who I dragged with me never watched any open-wheeled racing before and his first comment was "Wow... if erections could talk, that noise would be their voice".

Everybody around us were awesome. The wife in front of us was a huge F1 fan and dragged her husband to the race, and they were a blast to talk to. The family to the right of me travel to at least one race a year and were talking about the circuits that are must see (Monza, Monaco, Montreal, Silverstone). There were also a couple from Scotland and a couple from Italy in our area that we talked too quite a bit. Overall, everybody was friendly and having a great time. Our area was dominated by Ferrari fans with a good showing of Lewis/Merc and Max fans.

There were folks from all over. There were a bunch of languages I didn't recognize as we walked around the circuit. That was entertaining. The downside of all those people was the wait for most things would have been crazy if you didn't go on Friday. Autographs were pretty much out of the question unless you lined up at the bullpen at least 90-120 minutes early - but then you miss the other racing.

We met up with a couple of friends there (used to live in Phoenix, but moved to San Antonio a few years ago). They had general admission tickets and set up camp down by T9, so we got a lot of walking in going back and forth between our seats and theirs. One of the Haas cars had to be towed off the track while we were walking by, so we walked up to the fence to get a better look. The driver pulled away before I could get really close, but we decided to walk along the fence instead of the path. The next car through the section (T6, 7, and 8) was Kimi. The view of him coming right at us was spectacular.

I got to skip the Justin Timberlake concert, but were told there were a lot of technical difficulties. Between every song the lights would go off for about 45 secs and there was no flow to the show. He did play a tribute to Tom Petty, which would have been cool to hear. Stevie Wonder was a great show - a lot better than I expected.

They let you take a backpack into the circuit, so I had a flannel shirt, poncho, ear plugs, and noise canceling headphones with me. Sunday morning was windy and cold, but it stopped raining as we got to the track. I'm glad I had the rain gear, though. The only thing I am going to change next year is the hat I wear. A baseball hat doesn't provide enough sun protection and my neck got a slight burn even with sunscreen. Sadly, I haven't been able to find any team or F1 boonie hats. Might have to make a custom one.

Overall, I had a blast (having my brother living in Austin for a place to stay didn't hurt and a friend from school came down from Dallas to hang out for a night). The food there was great. We already started making plans to go again next year. I recommend it to everybody and am going to try to drag more people with us next year. I was surprised how relatively inexpensive general admission was ($50/day) while still providing admission to the concerts. I might have to try that some time, being able to see the race from different vantage points would be interesting. I think next year, Row 30, Section 4, Turn 1 again - it was that good.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. The weekend was most definitely a success (except for Merc winning wink ).

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 30/10/2017 14:10

Fantastic! And the seats you got.. wow! It takes years to work ones way up the stands in Montreal to get a seat at the top (best views)!

Cheers!

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 30/10/2017 14:44

Whenever I get around to downloading the pics, I'll post some.
Posted by: Faolan

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 11/12/2017 03:00

The trip was awesome. My view at the top of Turn 1 (Row 30, top row) was just incredible. I was able to see the front straight, Turns 1, 2, part of the S's, part of the back straight, 16, 17, 18, front of 19 and back of 20. There was a large viewing screen right in front of us on the inside of Turn 1 and another smaller one down in front of T1. The Master's Championship cars were seriously cool, and the F4 cars were better than I was expecting. Everything was just fun to watch.

Glad to hear it was an amazing trip! Had I seen this thread before, my suggestion was going to be to sit around that area. Turn 1 in Austin is such a unique setup in general, and watching the drivers experience it for the first time was a treat.

Envious of the food there so much, hoping to make it there this year for a vacation. Did anything in particular stand out that you had this trip, should have been right about hatch green chili season IIRC.

Re: First F1 Race - Suggestions? - 11/12/2017 13:19

The folks we met up with had a list of places to try, so I was just kind of dragged around for food. My brother tried to take me out to a couple places he really likes, but nobody took reservations and there was at least a 90 minute wait (according to the hosts, it was because of 'all the F1 people').

We did eat at a taco shop (Chilitos) near Caesar Chavez (maybe one road over) that was really really good. There was some BBQ place that is supposed to be famous, and the line to order wrapped around the interior of the building. A lot of folks were wearing F1 shirts and hats, so conversation was really easy. There was a really good breakfast place next to my brother's apartment - Austin Java I think. We went to Uncle Billy's BBQ, but just to drink beers while waiting for my brother to come home from work - they had a really nice selection.

Overall, Austin was a pretty cool city. My previous experience with it was limited to a place near to Killeen that I never quite made it too.