empeg variants

Posted by: _vIEvod_

empeg variants - 14/02/2002 00:41

does anyone have any information on the cd changer emulator variant found at http://geek.empeg.com/products/car_variants.html
very interested!! Any information welcomed!
Posted by: andy

Re: empeg variants - 14/02/2002 00:54

It was a project developed for an car audio equipement manufacturer, it was never available to the public.
Posted by: rob

Re: empeg variants - 14/02/2002 04:24

I could give you an update on that product, but then I would have to shoot you.

Rob
Posted by: BartDG

Re: empeg variants - 14/02/2002 04:50

What do you mean Rob? It's still being developped / considered as an option ?
I thought it ended up on the shelf gathering dust for some time now.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: empeg variants - 14/02/2002 08:49

PhatNoise have proven that a CD-changer emulated connection can sell. So if SB's design is more compelling, they might as well run with it while someone is interested.

I can see this as a popular item with current consumer/car electronics companies who want to use one of their more standardized deck designs up front, but want to cash in on the MP3 wave. PN have even signed on Visteon. Their stuff looks like crap, but it's in all sorts of vehicles fresh from the factory.

Bruno
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: empeg variants - 14/02/2002 09:03

So now that PN have given the market a little jump start, the doors are WIDE open for a more thought out product to come and blow them away.... Hmm... I wonder who could be doing that...

Good question btw. We've been talking about the "Mk3" so much this project was forgotten!

(didn't empeg help PN with some shock cradle thingy?)
Posted by: _vIEvod_

Re: empeg variants - 15/02/2002 00:30

just make it quick Soooo come on man, give us a hint! I wanna finnaly put my project into my car, but the tie into the factory head is the last piece of the puzzle - lets assume that you can't say much about what you may or may not be working on - would it be possible to build a unit like this that takes the signals for the cd changer and converts them into something like rs232? I'm not electroniclly able, but I am capable of writing simple software that could take the serial data and then act on it - I'm just looking for a simple project kit
Posted by: peter

Re: empeg variants - 15/02/2002 03:19

didn't empeg help PN with some shock cradle thingy?

Only in the loosest sense of the word "help". The story I heard was that Hugo asked them what they did for shock protection, and their answer was "Ooh, shock protection, good idea, we hadn't thought of that".

Peter