More copy-protected CD info

Posted by: wfaulk

More copy-protected CD info - 03/04/2002 21:58

Apparently, Celine Dion's new CD will not only not play on peecees or Macs, but it will tend to crash the computer if you try.

Good thing I have absolutely no interest in purchasing this album.
Posted by: drakino

Re: More copy-protected CD info - 04/04/2002 01:58

An interesting fact on this as well, the local copies here in Colorado have no sign of a CD Audio logo on the outside. No copy protection either, but Sony might be using that logo less now, after Phillips started cracking down.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: More copy-protected CD info - 04/04/2002 05:25

What would be REALLY cool is if Phillips said "you can't call it a CD with that copy protection and you can't make it too much like a CD because we own the patent."
Posted by: robricc

Re: More copy-protected CD info - 04/04/2002 07:28

The typical Celine listener probably uses a computer to chat and email on AOL. Now, picture that person at Barnes & Noble buying 2600 to learn how to rip their new CD. What I'm trying to say is, you are forcing normal people to become quasi-Hax0rs so they can enjoy their music. That's a funny thought.
Posted by: muzza

Re: More copy-protected CD info - 04/04/2002 19:37

Another day in the saga

here: http://news.com.com/2100-1023-876055.html?tag=dd.ne.dht.nl-sty.0
Posted by: msaeger

Re: More copy-protected CD info - 04/04/2002 19:54

I wonder if anything I would ever even want to buy will be released on one of these stupid things.

I wonder what would happen if you stuck this disk into one of sony's new hdd based head units.