Windows Sizing

Posted by: visuvius

Windows Sizing - 17/04/2002 12:27

Everytime i open Internet Explorer, it opens it minimized, not to the point of being in the taskbar, just smaller. Isn't there a way to make all windows open up maximized. I forget how to do this.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Windows Sizing - 17/04/2002 12:31

Internet Explorer should always re-open at the size you last opened it. So just size the window very large, then close the window.

The value is stored in the system registry, under

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Window_Placement"=

It's a binary field.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Windows Sizing - 17/04/2002 17:07

Well, it depends, doesn't it? For example, if you open IE with the quicklaunch button like I always do, it'll open to whatever the last window was closed at. But if a link in IE opens a new window, it'll always open to whatever non-maximized size the last window was opened at. Did that make sense?

In other words, a normal link that opens a new window won't open a maximized window, only a "restored" one (I always thought "restore" was a bad term for that function).
Posted by: robricc

Re: Windows Sizing - 17/04/2002 17:49

You can change to properties of the icon on the quick launch bar to open maximized.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Windows Sizing - 17/04/2002 17:57

has anyone figured how to make it open maximized when clicking a link that opens a new window ?

Re: Windows Sizing - 17/04/2002 23:24

That's the one I was wondering. I already have my windows opening to max with the quicklaunch button.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Windows Sizing - 18/04/2002 12:08

This is the way I did it : I opened up a few new windows by clicking a link, I maximized them (by hand, NOT by clicking the maximize icon) then I closed them all and rebooted the PC. Don't know what that's good for, but it did the trick. Also, I had to try this twice for it to work. Why it didn't work the first time I don't know...

Re: Windows Sizing - 18/04/2002 14:23

I have no idea why you should have had to restart! That's not quite maximizing it (and would annoy me a bit), but you shouldn't have to go through all that. Like we've said, windows usually remembers the size of the last-closed, non-maximized IE window. Sort of how it remembers how a large a particular folder opens up to.

Any ideas on why you needed to restart?