Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE?

Posted by: johnmcd3

Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE? - 21/05/2002 07:33

This morning I fell victem to one of those lame browser attacks where every window continuously opens windows which continue to respawn themselves. Under Windows XP I would have normally dealt with such a problem by right clicking on the (now grouped) Internet Explorer windows and clicking "close group", or if that didn't work going to task manager and ending the iexplore process.

Unfortunantly, I not as experienced with these in Linux. I normally use RedHat 7.2 with KDE. The first thing I tried was madly closing each one in the taskbar, but they were opening much too fast. In fact, it didn't even appear that they were closing. Then I tried opening my own Konqueror window and changing the settings to no Javascript / deny pop-ups. But that didn't work!

I think it might have been some browser hole / flaw or some other scripting attack. Regardless of what it was, the next thing I tried was logging out and unchecking "save the current session", but for some unknown reason it kept reloading the session with 20+ konqueror windows! I tried this multiple times. I did some web searches under a different user account on manually diasbling session management, but nothing really worked.

Finally, 30 minutes later, the way I finally dealt with the problem was by immediately opening a command line, typing "ps ux", and killing processes like a 12 year old playing Street Fighter II.

So how would the experienced Linux user have handled the situation?

John
Posted by: peter

Re: Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE? - 21/05/2002 07:45

man killall

Peter
Posted by: windchill

Re: Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE? - 21/05/2002 08:00

At the shell prompt, I would do something like

kill `pidof lynx`

If that doesnt work:
kill -9 `pidof lynx`

Of course, you would have to replace lynx with your browser's process name
Marc
Posted by: genixia

Re: Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE? - 21/05/2002 08:01

killall -9 konqueror

No amount of kiddie javascript going to get past that

Posted by: NiCKEL

Re: Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE? - 21/05/2002 09:18

If you are using Konqueror, under options it will allow you to disable popup windows or have it promt before allowing them.

This feature worked nicely for me (I am running the latest version I don't know if support exists in older versions).

-Geoff
Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: Best way to close spawning popup windows in KDE? - 21/05/2002 11:04

Sweet.

Thanks.