Karma review @CNET

Posted by: Cas_O

Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 05:56

They like it!

http://reviews.cnet.com/Rio_Karma__20GB_/4505-6490_7-30474134.html
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 11:42

I love how all the reviews mention the VU meters.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 12:42

<siren> Warning! Warning! Head swelling reaching critical level!

/Michael - another VU meter fan
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 13:29

look out hes going to blow.
Posted by: DLF

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 14:58

Just a few things in this review need clarifying (as usual):
On average, it took about 20 seconds to download a 100MB collection of nine music files to our test unit, for a file-transfer speed of 5MB per second.
Wow! 11MB music files on a 100MB Karma! Oops, he probably meant 10MB. Which makes the rate 0.5MBps
via Ethernet, ... 0.53MB per second (about 10 times slower than via USB 2.0).
Uh, OK now I really am confused. But, on the plus side, we learned this:
stream music from a [Karma] to other devices attached to the same network. ... a remote-control Web interface so that you can control the unit from any networked PC while it's attached to your stereo (making the device a de facto digital audio receiver)....
I think RMML already qualifies as the latter, but it's good to hear about the former (streaming output). Any comments from Cambridge?
Posted by: robricc

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:03

Streaming is not official, but the Java app is available here:
http://www.inzyme.com/rio/index.html

The figures quoted as far as transfer goes seems accurate to me. What is the problem?
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:13

stream music from a [Karma] to other devices attached to the same network. ... a remote-control Web interface so that you can control the unit from any networked PC while it's attached to your stereo (making the device a de facto digital audio receiver)....

Now, the article:
Rio plans to eventually use this same interface to add the ability to stream music from a player to other devices attached to the same network. The company will also add a remote-control Web interface so that you can control the unit from any networked PC while it's attached to your stereo (making the device a de facto digital audio receiver).

That's some mighty convenient editing you've done there. The statment may be true given Mike's java applet, but I have a hard time going along with your edit.

Matthew

edit: I don't think you intended to mislead. We've just been accused of hyping the Karma before, so we try and keep a Fair And Balanced position when discussing Karma features.

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:13

D'OH! I didn't think to look at Mike's latest builds page, thanks.

As for file transfer: You can't transfer 100MB to a 20MB unit. Does the author mean 10MB transferred in 20 secs? Seems more realistic, but that makes the transfer rate the same as he quotes for Ethernet. Or does he mean 10 sets of 10MB transfers that averaged 5MB/s done in about 2 secs EACH, or 5 sets of 20MB transfers (using what sized files again?). Or what?

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:16

You can't transfer 100MB to a 20MB unit.
No, but you can transfer 100MB to a 20GB unit.

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:16

MB = Megabytes
GB = Gigabytes

Karma is 20GB

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:28

What's wrong with my edit? Two separate enhancements, admittedly, but obviously working together.

Just turns out that they are currently enhancements of/for Mike S' "unofficial" RMML instead of RMM for Windows.

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:34

OK, it's Friday afternoon and I've lost all ability to think at all.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 15:50

That's not supposed to happen until Friday night. Have we been partaking of the spirits a little ahead of schedule, hmmm?

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 17:25

Schedule, schmedule. Just for that, I'm leaving early and picking up a Karma on the way home tonight....

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 17:27

I'm leaving early and picking up a Karma on the way home tonight....
Excellent choice.
Posted by: Cris

Re: Karma review @CNET - 21/11/2003 18:50

I like it too !!!

I want one !!! When are they coming to the UK ???

I have a mate going to the States in January, but I don't like the sounds of a 90 warranty!

Wish they'd hurry up and go either way on the 40Gb unit, could match my empeg for content then.

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: altman

Re: Karma review @CNET - 22/11/2003 08:07

Karma will be available in the UK (and parts of europe) before christmas (or that's the word). Fingers crossed.

Sorry, I don't know any prices yet.

Hugo
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Karma review @CNET - 22/11/2003 08:37

Yup, Rob says that too - I can't wait!
Posted by: _hardcore_

Re: Karma review @CNET - 24/11/2003 09:27

Argh.. Last month i couldn't wait anymore. I'm traveling alot by plane, and missed my Empeg powered Volvo - I bought an Ipod 40GB just to have some music with me - now it looks like i'm going to buy a Karma. Anybody wants to by my hardly used Ipod ? :-)

Tada,
Kaare