Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story

Posted by: pgrzelak

Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 19/08/2004 14:05

story
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 19/08/2004 15:32

That reminds me that it got a good mention in the Newsweek (print version) article on iPods, plus a Letter-to-the-Editor in the next issue or so from someone talking it up as better than the iPod.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 19/08/2004 19:53

Hey, that's a pretty good article I think. I really like this statement (not that it it's new to anyone here, but it's nice to see in in print on CNN)
Quote:
There is a major disconnect between the music industry and the reality of way most Americans relate to music
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 19/08/2004 20:15

Oh, GarageBand.com looks kind of interesting. First time I've heard of it.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 23/08/2004 06:57

Whilst we're on the subject, one thing perplexes me, the music industry has gone mega-paranoid about downloading music.

At the same time, I don't know about in the US, but in the UK, it's hard to buy a newspaper or magazine that doesn't have a CD of that same material that they've so zealously guarded, taped to the front cover - giving it all away for free.

Now I know the publication has paid for the use of the material, but I can't believe that what is true of downloading MP3's, according to the music industry, isn't true of giving away CD's: Both must cut deep into the retail market.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 23/08/2004 11:43

Alternately, neither cuts deep into the retail market.

And, no, it's not very common in the US, but it's common enough for me to know what you're talking about, even if it is usually data CDs in magazines.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Rio Karma pictured in CNN.com news story - 23/08/2004 12:11

I think that if I had put ",in the music companies opinion" after "Downloading MP3's" it would have been a stronger argument, and much more the one that I wished to make.

N.B. Original edited!