Computer with Ethernet card and PNA card?

Posted by: ventivent

Computer with Ethernet card and PNA card? - 13/05/2002 08:23

Hi there,

Just ordered a Rio Receiver from Tigerdirect for $99.99 and was wondering if I could use the HomePNA card to connect to the receiver, even if my computer has an ethernet card already which is connected to a DSL router. Thus my computer would have both an ethernet card and a PNA card. I don't want to drill another hole through a wall to string ethernet cable from one room to another if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Al
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Computer with Ethernet card and PNA card? - 13/05/2002 08:57

Yes, you can put more than one network adapter in the same computer. Each network adapter will have its own IP address.

Configuring it is tricky, though. You have to be careful about how the server software is set up.

Re: Computer with Ethernet card and PNA card? - 15/05/2002 12:35

ok, i received my rio receiver today and set it up with the Home PNA card. i am running win xp pro with an ethernet card and the Home PNA card. the ethernet card is hooked up to a DSL router. how do i configure the Home PNA card to be able to share files through the phone lines independent of my DSL connection?

Thanks for your help,
Albert

Re: Computer with Ethernet card and PNA card? - 15/05/2002 12:55

ok, i somehow muttled my way through the windows xp network configuration wizard for the Home PNA PCI card and bridged the two network adapters...it works! i stil don't know how i did it, and i probably couldn't do it again, if asked.

al
Posted by: Roger

Re: Computer with Ethernet card and PNA card? - 16/05/2002 01:47

Simple answer: you don't have to configure sharing on either adapter for the Receiver to work.

If you go to the "IP configuration" dialog of the Audio Receiver Manager software, you can configure it differently for each network card in the computer, meaning that you can prevent it from serving music to your Ethernet (DSL) adapter.