Recievers from Tigerdirect?

Posted by: jonjonbear

Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 13/01/2003 15:26

Hello group..
brand new to all of this so be kind! :-)
I just ordered one of the Sonic Blue RioReceievers from Tigerdirct but saw messages elsewhere that they are selling the dell units rebadged..I don't have a big problem with this but the one thing that will make me hot is if it doesn't have the network/HPNA card..Has anyone else gotten one? They are backordered and expected on the 20th..Thanks in advance! John
Posted by: andy

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 13/01/2003 15:37

At least one person here has reported not getting a HPNA card when ordering from TigerDirect. I suspect TigerDirect have screwed up with their description of the item, I doubt if they have any HPNA cards.

The details on the item say:

"Requires HPNA or Ethernet network. HPNA PCI card provided if you currently have no home network"

but then goes on to say:

"System requirements: PNA or Ethernet adapter for PC"

When the receiver was being sold originally it came as two separate packs, one with an HPNA card and one without (both of which TigerDirect sold at one point). Looks like someone got confused.

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 13/01/2003 20:40

Correct..I ordered it believeing it would have the card..Is this card hard to come by or expensive?
Posted by: andy

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 14/01/2003 04:12

There are far fewer HPNA cards on the market than there are Ethernet cards and they much more expensive than Ethernet cards.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=33&prid=130
http://www.langalaxy.com/showroom/1163.cfm

Though of course if you don't have an Ethernet network already then you will also have to buy cable and a hub.

Do you really need HPNA, in many cases it is just as easy to run an Ethernet network instead.
Posted by: djc

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 14/01/2003 07:47

john,

if you need an HPNA card, i have a handful left from my receivers that i'm not using. i'd be happy to send you one. drop me a private message if you're interested.

--dan.

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 14/01/2003 07:52

Dan,
Thanks! I tried to email you but your email is not in your profile, can you send me a note? Mine is in my profile..
Thanks a bunch! John
Posted by: Chimaera

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 14/01/2003 08:25

I ordered one from Tiger a couple of months ago, It arrived pretty quickly, but didn't have the HPNA card (good job the new house comes wired for Ethernet).

You may be able to phone Tiger customer services and ask them to send you a HPNA card.

Mark
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 14/01/2003 13:06

I ordered one of the rebadged dells also and it di not come with an hpna card. I've got two of those cards around somewhere...
Posted by: robricc

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 15/01/2003 00:37

See this post I made about a month ago if anyone else needs HPNA cards. MicroCenter is selling Rio branded ones for 2 for $9.99.
Posted by: iceweazel

Re: Recievers from Tigerdirect? - 09/03/2003 14:25

If anyone HAS to have cards, I'll give mine away free. You pay shipping.

Ed