Speaker Suggestions?

Posted by: yonah

Speaker Suggestions? - 11/02/2003 11:39

Hey everyone,

I am new to this game, and I am looking to get myself a rio receiver at auction. I currently don't have a stereo system and I was wondering what kind of speakers I could hook the receiver up to to make it a standalone remote stereo. Basically, I'd like to set up the receiver in the bedroom and have it play music off of the PC in the den.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thx,
Yonah
Posted by: altman

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 11/02/2003 17:44

It works really well with small bookshelf speakers - pick your favourite brand, basically. Boston Accoustics do some nice ones, as do Mission, KEF, etc

Hugo
Posted by: ultrajones

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 11/02/2003 18:30

I just purchased the Altec Lansing 621 2.1 Speaker System from www.newegg.com for $108.00. They are awesome! Read the reviews from various sites... they are worth the money!
Posted by: P_Billy

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 13/02/2003 00:01

Polk RT15i (since discontinued) which I am very happy with. I also considered Cambridge Soundworks available at www.hifi.com.
Posted by: laynel

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 09/03/2003 22:19

I got a pair of Sony SS-MB100H Bookshelf speakers for my 1st Rio reciver. I picked up a 2nd receiver on eBay last month and ordered another pair to go with it. They can be had for about $50 a pair if you look around. IMHO the price/performance ratio is unbeatable.
Posted by: basf_audio

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 15/03/2003 20:50

I was looking around at some speakers just for my bedroom that hooked into the Rio Receiver... Looked at some small micro systems but found that all I needed was some powered speakers. I came across some computer speakers from Klipsch, the ProMedai 2.1 (THX certified). They're simply awesome. 2 sats with a subwoofer. I picked mine up on sale for about $159 at Best Buy.

I loved them so much that I bought another Rio (my third) and a set of 4.1 ProMedia Speakers (close-out at $199) for my living room just for some background music. I couldn't be happier with a stand alone system. (4 sats and a subwoofer)

Enjoy!
Dave
Posted by: hipped1

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 17/03/2003 08:22

Can you control the volume on powered speakers with the remote or is the volume controlled by the speakers?
Posted by: geneaber

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 29/03/2003 20:13

Volume is controlled by the speakers.
Posted by: geneaber

Re: Speaker Suggestions? - 29/03/2003 20:14

I concur the BASF Audio that Klipsch Promedia is the way to go. I have a set of 2.1 and they are awesome. Got them on Amazon for $149.00.