tRio - what next?

Posted by: pauln

tRio - what next? - 03/09/2004 06:23

I have 2 options in mind for the next release of tRio:

1. Thin (pure html) web interface that can run on PDAs.

2. Basic radio alarm clock.

Which of these would you like to see sooner? Reply to this post to have your say. If there is anything else more urgent, then feel free to mention it too.

A few folks have suggested a windows client for tRio over the past while. Unfortunately this will need a large amount of effort and so I don't see it happening in the short-term.

Cheers
Paul
Posted by: vince

Re: tRio - what next? - 03/09/2004 17:36

My vote is for a basic radio alarm clock.

Another thing that would be nice is a message and commandline interface. It would be nice to be able to display a message on the kitchen rio tellinf the wife she has new emails or voice mail. From a commandline I'd like to mute the volume when the phone is ringing.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: tRio - what next? - 03/09/2004 22:05

Oooohhhh a PDA interface would be nice. I've got a couple of hp's to try it on.
Posted by: basf_audio

Re: tRio - what next? - 04/09/2004 03:30

Thin Web interface, of course
Posted by: riocanada

Re: tRio - what next? - 04/09/2004 18:53

I have to add my voice to "thin web"!

I can access JReceiver on my iPAQ, but tRio would be too cool for school!
Posted by: ChrisL

Re: tRio - what next? - 06/09/2004 12:38

Definitly a thin web interface!
Posted by: guterm

Re: tRio - what next? - 18/09/2004 13:07

Definitely thin web interface. I would love to control trio from my epods web browser
Posted by: caseyse

Re: tRio - what next? - 26/09/2004 16:06

Another vote for: 2. Basic radio alarm clock.
Posted by: DonPuc

Re: tRio - what next? - 09/10/2004 22:53

I would like the thin web interface. This would be great to use with my pda.

Thanks,

Don

Re: tRio - what next? - 21/10/2004 04:27

Well, thin web interface it'll be then. Maybe with some experimental UPnP media server support thrown in too.

The major problem with the web interface is that I can't see a way of getting the page to automatically update as the playback info (time, tune etc.) changes. I've tried auto-refreshing it every second before, but this leads to a nasty "strobing" effect. Any ideas?

Cheers
Paul

Re: tRio - what next? - 21/10/2004 14:25

Why not make that a user selectable feature or an optional plug-in?
I mostly use the web-interface to select music or control the receivers, rather than use it as an active player.
Just my 0.02.
Posted by: basf_audio

Re: tRio - what next? - 24/10/2004 20:08

I'd agree as well.. I would use it only to select songs to play move about a playlist... Not a status update for realtime viewing...

Thanks!

_DS

Re: tRio - what next? - 29/10/2004 07:29

I was doing some work on this last night. If I understand things right, we're after something that'll run on very basic pdas.

My questions are:
- What screen size should it be designed around?
- It'd be a bit slicker with a bit of javascript - do pdas support this?

Cheers
Paul

Re: tRio - what next? - 29/10/2004 11:52

Quote:
- What screen size should it be designed around?
- It'd be a bit slicker with a bit of javascript - do pdas support this?

Although I haven't had a chance to read it yet this looked like a very interesting recent article:
Java on Pocket PC Devices

I've got the HP 6315 and it has a 240x320 pixel display.
Posted by: djc

Re: tRio - what next? - 29/10/2004 13:08

Other than four letters, java and javascript have nothing in common.

--Dan.

Re: tRio - what next? - 29/10/2004 16:54

Oh, err, umm...good point.... but even better because Javascript is *supposed* to work with PPC2003. Anyone know a good javascript website to try it out on?

Re: tRio - what next? - 30/10/2004 14:33

I have an old PPC (Win CE 3.0) and may not be able to run the latest stuff. However the JReceiver web front-end seems to work just fine. If you could create an application that uses similar technology, you'd cover the broadest range of devices.

It would be cool if it worked on the Palm OS as well.
Posted by: andy

Re: tRio - what next? - 30/10/2004 15:55

Quote:

They do also share a similar "C style" syntax for their basic structure, which probably explains further why people confuse them.
Posted by: Roger

Re: tRio - what next? - 01/11/2004 07:50

Quote:

Javascript should probably be called ECMA Script, but that sounds like a skin complaint.
Posted by: andy

Re: tRio - what next? - 01/11/2004 15:56

Quote:
Quote:

Javascript should probably be called ECMA Script, but that sounds like a skin complaint.

...or maybe we should call it, not-javascript...
Posted by: tman

Re: tRio - what next? - 01/11/2004 16:51

Strictly speaking, JavaScript isn't ECMAScript as it's a superset.

Re: tRio - what next? - 09/11/2004 07:17

I'm making steady progress with this. I've got the basic playback screen and "queue and play" mode (Queue, By Artist, etc.) going. Next up is jukebox mode.

It's based around a 240 pixel screen width (as per Jerz' suggestion). There is no playback timer or auto-refresh - you'll have to press the refresh button as needed.

I've decided against javascript and frames because I'm not sure that older pdas support these. But as I'm using XSL stylesheets to produce the html, it'll be possible to customise these to use javascript etc.

Cheers
Paul

Re: tRio - what next? - 09/11/2004 15:37

Cool. Can't wait.

As an aside, is it possible for tRio to "remember" settings from one instance to another?

What I'd like to see is the "Random" or "Shuffle" settings being preserved. Not a biggie, by a long shot, but what would be cool, for me anyway, would be to power up the receiver, select a playlist, and have tRio automatically shuffle the tunes (if shuffle was on when the reciever was powered down or when a prior playlist was used). Again, not a biggie, but would be cool if it was easy to do, for tRio 1.6.

Cheers,

Jim.

Re: tRio - what next? - 25/11/2004 17:35

I think I'm pretty much there with the thin interface now.

Jerz is giving it a quick once over to check it works okay on his PDA. It'd be good to try it out on a few other makes/models before putting it on sourceforge. If you're up for it, please PM me with your email address and I'll send you the files.

Cheers
Paul

Re: tRio - what next? - 25/11/2004 18:36

Yes I like it very much...
Posted by: Revwillie

Re: tRio - what next? - 26/11/2004 16:33

Nice Work!

Re: tRio - what next? - 08/12/2004 21:13

Well, I've had loads of feedback and made quite a few fixes and enhancements over the past week. It's oh-so-nearly ready now.

The last little task is to write a user manual for it. But I'd rather get moving with the upnp implementation. Any volunteers?

Cheers
Paul
Posted by: davidm

Re: tRio - what next? - 21/12/2004 09:13

This is something I would really like to see, being able to control Rios via wi-fi PDA or even over the internet via mobile phone? Don't ask why but if my company will provide me with a Blackberry and pay my GPRS bill there is no point buying a PDA.

I'm a full convert to trio, running three receivers wireless with the majority of files in flac. It is a fantastic bit of kit.