ARM Almost can't find Receiver...

Posted by: time

ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 23/02/2002 13:23

OK, I'm going crazy here. I have recently reinstalled 98SE and slogged throuh most of the reestablishment of my system. The one element that is eluding me is getting my receiver to work. I'm running a PNA connection (that was working on previous hardware) to the Receiver from a USB Homefree PNA adapter.

I've gone through and setup the network as close as I can tell it should work. And it almost works... When I open the window/application for ARM it correctly identifies the receiver, Hardware Address and IP Address--yet the tray icon for ARM never turns blue and it insists "1.01b(no units)" Sigh.

The Receiver and the network interface are both in the same subclass (192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.100, respectively.)

I've tried cycling the power on the unit at various points, but still it doesn't find the unit from the tray.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Posted by: Roger

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 24/02/2002 04:40

There was a known bug in that the icon sometimes didn't go blue. If, however, you're getting past the "Searching for music" stage on the Receiver, I shouldn't worry about it.

How far is the bootup of the unit getting? It should say "Searching for music server", then "Found music server", then "Rio Receiver/Searching for music"

I had a similar problem yesterday, but it was on Win2k, so I don't know if its relevant. Stopping and restarting the Audio Receiver Manager fixed it. Don't know if it'll work for you.

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 25/02/2002 00:21

Thanks for that.

I get through the search for music on my drive, but the Receiver never can find the PC. It sits at "Initializing" for a long while and then comes up with "Cannot find music server" and the MAC, IP, and Gateway addresses. Interestingly enough, the IP it displays is the correct one I had assigned on the PC. Still no music is available to play.

Perhaps some other ideas might reveal themselves soon...

Best regards,
Tim
Posted by: tfabris

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 25/02/2002 10:02

I don't know how you're wired, but if you plug a phone cable directly between the PC's HPNA port and the Receiver's HPNA port (skipping any in-wall wiring), does it work?

The phone lines in my house are so crappy and over-spliced that I could never get the Receiver working reliably with HPNA. I was forced to run ethernet.

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 25/02/2002 13:13

Well, I haven't specifically tried that lately--it was working prior to a reinstall of 98 on my serving system... The wiring was all a fresh install wired in myself. It is an exclusive link (I didn't want it messing with my DSL or phone lines) from my HPNA adapter to the Rio through wall adapters rather than on the phone system. So I'm fairly confident it isn't an integrity or noise issue.

Also, since when the Audio Manager software is open, it finds the player and things look right....Hmm. OK. I'll try what you say and bring it local. Thanks for your suggestion.

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 25/02/2002 22:41

OK. Tried a direct connection and the same result occur:
   Music server not found

info net:pna ip 192.168.1.101
n:255.255.255.0 g:192.168.1.100

It shows up in the Audio Receiver Manager, but not in the tray icon. 192.168.1.100 is what IPCONFIG shows as the HPNA IP.
Did I mention this is a USB HPNA adapter?
Posted by: andy

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 26/02/2002 02:25

Probably a stupid question, but are you sure you don't have a firewall installed on the Win98 machine ?

Re: ARM Almost can't find Receiver... - 26/02/2002 07:34

Not a stupid question. I do. But it is passing all nodes in that range (ie. x.x.x.0-x.x.x.255).

Since I'm grabbing at straws here, I'll give an explicit call out for these related devices. And see what happens... No change. I see the initial flurry of activity of net traffic and then it dies down pretty quickly. Hmm. I haven't tried swaping out the Homefree box yet...I'll try that next.

Thanks.

PS. I think I'd forgotten to mention earlier, that the unit is found when I connect using ethernet. So I'm leaning to this being some kind of HPNA problem.