Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager

Posted by: RedNote

Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - 25/03/2002 12:56

Newbie to the whole networking scene so bear with me. I have seen similiar posts to this one, but I have yet to resolve my issues with those fixes.

Running Windows XP and the HPNA adapter that came with the Receiver. The link lights go active on both the receiver and the HPNA. The ARM note never gets off of Red. The receiver will always list the IP address as 169.254.XXX.XXX s: 255.255.0.0 and g: 255.255.255.255

Half of the time when I go into the ARM on the server, it shows the "autoconfigure" range as greyed out and lists the HPNA adapter as "Network Connection Adapter - packet scheduler" The other half of the time it shows the "Network Connection Adapter" (with out the packet scheduler in its title). I have forced the IP address on the HPNA card to 169.254.0.1 s: 255.255.255.0 and still nothing. The receiver has worked on various occasions but has been dead for three days now. I went thru the ZoneAlarm dibacle and finally added the HPNA adapter as a "trusted" computer and that fixed the problem for a day until I rebooted the computer and lost the receiver again. The ZoneAlarm feature remains unchanged.

I downloaded the mercury V103 software from ftp:\\ftp.diamondmm.com\pub\multimedia\rio\receiver and it did nothing.

I feel like I am missing something very basic. I have seen discussions about missing the DHCP server, and I saw something in on test that showed that the DCHP server had an invalid IP address 255.255.255.255 but I don't remember where I saw it. Sorry.

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - 25/03/2002 21:14

Here is an update for today's issues. Now the network link lights are out, and yet the IP address that get configured are correct (they jive between the server and the Receiver). Additionally the activity light is also blinking.

I ran the ARM logging tool and have attached the results. Help please.

Note the NetGear Ethernet adapter is my cable modem. I xxx out the actual IP address.

The HomeFree is the adapter that I am desperately trying to get to talk to my receiver.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - 26/03/2002 09:12

The IP address assigned to the card is in the UPnP address range. The fact that the addresses jive is probably irrelevant, since UPnP guarantees an address in that range, even if the two items are not connected.

Otherwise, everything looks fine from the server end.

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - 26/03/2002 09:53

More to the point, the reason that the "Autoconfigure" section is greyed out is because the ARM sees that you're using a UPnP address, and assumes that a DHCP server is not necessary.

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - 27/03/2002 04:59

Thanks Roger. I guess that I'm still in the dark then. Are you saying that I don't actually have a network connection then, or is my Receiver bad? I'm going to try an ethernet card and a cross link cable tonite to see if that changes anything.

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - 27/03/2002 05:21

I suspect (based on the oddness with adapter descriptions, that your HPNA drivers are broken). Have you tried upgrading them?

Is this a fresh install of XP, or an upgrade?

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - SOLVED - 27/03/2002 21:26

Triumph!!!!!!!! HPNA Must Die!!!!!!

Installed an ethernet card and ran it thru a NetGear Hub (I didn't have a cross link cable). Powered it up and got the Blue Note!!!

BTW - Diamond MM does not have updated drivers for the HomeFree 10MB that were written for XP. XP does however have drivers that appeared to be good. Based on this I'd have to say that they don't (at least in my configuration).

Thanks Roger for your help. I am extremely happy with the Receiver now that it works.

Now...Just gotta get an ethernet cable into the living room!

Posted by: Demon

Re: Win XP and the Audio Receiver Manager - SOLVED - 28/03/2002 06:53

They've got Win2000 drivers. When I first got XP, most of my hardware didn't have XP drivers, so I used 2000 drivers. Worked fine.

Here's the link:
http://www.diamondmm.com/default.asp?menu=support&submenu=Home_Networking&item=drivers&product=HomeFree_Phoneline

Hope they work for you. Sure would be easier than running an ethernet drop.

:d: