extended codepage fonts in emplode

Posted by: enlightner

extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 02:40

Hi,

I'm trying to implement cyrillic fonts on the empeg. I have modified the fonts using the Rio Font Editor. Now when I upload a song with cyrillic id3 tags, it displays correctly. However, when I create a playlist in emplode, the characters display correctly as I'm typing them, but as soon as I hit enter, they are changed to question marks. On the empeg this playlist will also be displayed as a series of question marks.

Has nayone encountered this problem, or knows how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: rob

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 03:29

I think you may be trying to apply a simple solution to a complex problem. The 2.0 player branch and its version of emplode have not been internationalised. I would like to see our fully internationalised version make it into a car player build some day, offering Unicode/UTF8 throughout the UI and database.

Rob
Posted by: peter

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 04:18

I'm trying to implement cyrillic fonts on the empeg. I have modified the fonts using the Rio Font Editor. Now when I upload a song with cyrillic id3 tags, it displays correctly. However, when I create a playlist in emplode, the characters display correctly as I'm typing them, but as soon as I hit enter, they are changed to question marks. On the empeg this playlist will also be displayed as a series of question marks.

What version of Windows? On Windows 98/ME, it stands a chance of accidentally working, as long as your system codepage (which is presumably CP866, not ISO8859-5) is the same as the codepage you made your empeg fonts for. On Windows NT/2000/XP, Emplode is probably getting thrown Unicode (>U+00FF) characters that it doesn't know how to deal with.

As Rob implied, we hope to solve this problem the right way in the future (i.e. post-2.0), so that the same empeg can correctly display Cyrillic, Latin-1, and other character sets from a single large font.

Peter
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 05:50

Tengwar?
Posted by: peter

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 06:11

Tengwar?

Apart from the fact that that extension hasn't been ratified yet, Tengwar is like Arabic in that considerably more glyphs are needed to display it than to represent it -- you need extra glyphs for characters with combining diacritics, not least because two or more diacritics can apply to the same character (e.g. U+E00C U+E040 U+E045 U+E05C is one glyph). The work involved in generating those glyphs, or in putting enough intelligence into the font engine to construct those glyphs on-the-fly, isn't likely to appear on Sonicblue's product roadmap any time soon :-(

Peter
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 06:23

Come on! This is obviously where you need to be spending your software development time!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 21/10/2002 09:21

enlightener, as a work-around, have you tried this?

Instead of creating the playlist by hand, name a folder on your hard disk that name, then drag and drop that folder onto emplode. This bypasses the hand-input of the characters and might work around this issue.
Posted by: TheAmigo

Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode - 17/06/2003 23:16

So now that I've already posted mine, I just found this thread.

I've not had any problems with playlist names in emplode (WinXP) nor in the menus on the player (2.0b11). But then I saw Tony's comment about naming a folder and dragging that in to Emplode, not an m3u... and that's exactly what I did. I've not tried any .m3us with cyrillic titles.

BTW, did you write a large cyrillic font? I only have medium and small so far