Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 21:30

Well, it was worth a try, right?
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 21:50

Me too. My empeg is way too stable.

Matthew
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 21:58

I haven't laughed this hard at a BBS post all day. Thanks, man.

Oh, me too.
Posted by: oliver

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 22:13

i'm not sure about everyone else, but i've been checking the beta link on empeg's site multiple times every day waiting for an early copy of 3.0
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 22:16

I wonder if Rob regrets handing those cd's out yet
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 22:29

canwehavethealpharob? canwehavethealpharob? canwehavethealpharob? canwehavethealpharob? canwehaveapooldad? canwehavethealpharob? canwehavethealpharob? canwehavethealpharob?
Posted by: drakino

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 09/07/2003 23:42

i'm not sure about everyone else, but i've been checking the beta link on empeg's site multiple times every day waiting for an early copy of 3.0
Don't have to do this manually, I still have my script I made to monitor the page and notify me if it changes. If anyone wants me to toss their e-mail address (including SMS) into this script, send me a private message. It seemed to work well back when we were all waiting for the 2.0 betas.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 02:16

No point: it will be at least a week before all the participants get home and start reporting, then it will depend on when the next pizza-fuelled bug blat can take place.

Don't hold your breath.
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 05:05

No friggin' kidding!

Mine is SO STABLE that I had to resort to trying my hand at developing something! Now THAT'S unstable!!

Me.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 06:22

No point: it will be at least a week before all the participants get home and start reporting, then it will depend on when the next pizza-fuelled bug blat can take place.

Which is why you should send a copy here now

I bet I could find a bug today.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 07:27

Yeah, I feel like those of us who couldn't make the meet are now second-class citizens. Those who were there can bask in the glory of the 3.0 alpha, while we're all stuck in the past with our 2.0 release. I want cross-fading, damnit.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 07:30

I think it is just mild payback that any new hardware is almost always available in the US first. I am certain that it will be released when it exits the alpha phase.

It would be useful, though, if someone with the alpha could post the release notes as a "teaser", just to show everyone in the US what they are missing...

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 07:35

I think it is just mild payback that any new hardware is almost always available in the US first.

But it's usually not against the rules for your friends in the states to buy one and send it to you.
Posted by: simspos

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 07:39

Nah, you are barking up the wrong tree, it isn't an intercontinental thing, just simply "Being In The Right Place, At The Right Time"

DAMMIT........ WHY DIDN'T WE GO.... [SOB];)[SOB];)

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 07:48

Valid point. Right place / time. I eagerly await the "bug blat", but I do not expect it very soon.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 07:57

Yeh I share your pessimism, the "don't hold your breath" statement was a bit of a giveaway

However all is not lost, I think we should move forward with yn0t_'s campain for NOT being treated as second hand citizens.

Fight for yer right to 3

Cheers, Sim
Posted by: djc

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 08:24

i think the empeg guys know a thing or two about how to do their jobs. they've decided to limit the alpha release, and i think we should respect that.

when they're ready to release it to the world, they will.

--dan.
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 08:31

What has suddenly changed so much? They've just enlarged the alpha-tester group and now it is a lot more public who is in it.... So there's been first-class and second-class Empeggers for a long time....

Stig

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 08:32

i think the empeg guys know a thing or two about how to do their jobs. they've decided to limit the alpha release, and i think we should respect that.
I for one am not questioning their ability to do their jobs. I just don't see meet attendance as a good barometer of who's worthy of getting alpha releases.

They are of course entitled to release the software whenever and to whoever they want... And I'm entitled to bitch about not being one of those people.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 08:37

i understand where you're coming from. it just seems to me that there's little point in begging, when they've already decided how to manage the release.

--dan.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 08:40

i understand where you're coming from. it just seems to me that there's little point in begging, when they've already decided how to manage the release.
Well if there were a requirement that every post on this BBS had a "point" to it, I think we'd have a lot less fun around here. And I certainly wouldn't be in the "top 5" of prolific posters.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 08:46

heh..."point" taken.

--dan.
Posted by: Cris

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 10:40

I think they have quite abit of work to do on 3 before a beta release.

The new features are cool, but my player is quite unstable. ie it locks if you skip through tracks too quick, or fast forward or backwards for too long. I am thinking of putting it back to 2.0 final until the beta of 3.

The bug where my player kept saying "No Harddrive found, contact support" has been fixed by 3.0a, or was that RobS. and his soldering iron at the meet ??? Cheers Rob, the player has never been so good.

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 10:57

Woh! take a chill pill guys, it's all just a weez u know can't a person have a little fun around here any more

Personally I have no interest in trialling alpha software, I WANT THE NEW FEATURE SET, but I can wait for the beta to come out, on the other hand I do like a good wind-up and this is an ideal occasion to be a bit "cheeky", on the grounds of being deprived. Just for fun honest.

I actually believe it's good thing that we all show our undying enthusiasm about the upgrades (and believe me, I'm as enthused about this as anyone ) otherwise how are the empeg guys going to be motivated to greater and greater achievements if no one shows any interest.

TOTAL RESPECT TO ALL THINGS EMPEG

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 12:06

People are already doing so - but it's not the finding of the bugs. You forget that car software development is now a "Spare time" activity at Cambridge - it doesn't officially happen.

I tell you what might speed the process up - bung a bit of money behind the bar at the Wrestlers, and let them know that the food and beer is paid for. This might cause a "Bug Blatt" to be scheduled earlier, rather than later - hence speeding up the delivery of a Beta....

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 12:11

That's the spirit. There there, it'll be alright soon....

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 12:14

Very definitely, the soldering iron. Yours was the only one I have seen with so many IDE header legs unsoldered, and quite literally hanging in space - a total of 4 on one side and two on the other! Incredible, no wonder it didn't work.

Don't forget you can always flip back to 2 to enjoy "No Hang Playback" for a while.....

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 12:16

Anyone who's prepared to travel halfway around the planet is, in my books, worthy of getting an alpha release
Posted by: peter

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 13:09

I tell you what might speed the process up - bung a bit of money behind the bar at the Wrestlers, and let them know that the food and beer is paid for. This might cause a "Bug Blatt" to be scheduled earlier, rather than later - hence speeding up the delivery of a Beta....
Loth as I naturally am to dissent from a programme of free Wrestlers, I've got to say that it doesn't look like there's going to be much spare time to be spent on anything round here, car-player or not, until Pearl gets finished...

You'll like Pearl, though.

Peter

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 13:23

do you guys have an eta for pearl?

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 13:28

do you guys have an eta for pearl?
Well, yes, we do, but we probably aren't going to tell anyone what it is.

Peter

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 13:34

what about just a ball park figure? like 1-3 months, 3-6 months? any little hint? i really can't wait for a portable handheld empeg player.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 13:35

Anyone who's prepared to travel halfway around the planet is, in my books, worthy of getting an alpha release

Being prepared has nothing to do with it. I did it in November, flew to London, was on the ground for a total of 28 hours, and flew home.

It's all about being able to leave when there's something to do.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 13:36

Then obviously you shouldn't beg. Pleading might work.
Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 15:36

Well, yes, we do, but we probably aren't going to tell anyone what it is.
I was under the impression you already did.

Aren't we allowed to talk about what was said at the meet? Rob gave us a pretty decent idea of when we'd see them (in the States anyway) and why that time was significant.

John

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 20:04

Sure. No arguments there. But most of the atendees didn't fly halfway around the world to be there. Tony and Mark already had acess to 3.0 anyways, so the number of people who flew halfway around the world to proove their worthieness of 3.0 is limited to Robricc and Jim Hogan? The rest were just in the right place and the right time...

The 3.0 rumors were enjoyed by all, and considered in good fun. Now were told that because we didn't come to the meet, we'll have to wait months to get ahold of anything similar for our empegs. I've driven 8 hours to get to an empeg meet. I've ditched my own 21st birthday party to go to an empeg meet. And that's less than plenty of the other people who couldn't make it to the meet.

Though it's their decision who gets alpha releases, I think not letting us plebians get acess to it soon after is pretty rude. Anyways, that's how I see it. I'll try and not complain any more.

Matthew
Posted by: loren

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 22:14

Don't forget... they don't HAVE to give you anything. Just keep reminding yourself to be thankful that they even care enough to spend the extra effort and UNPAID time to keep working on it in the first place. Good natured ribbing about everyone else not getting it is one thing, but calling them rude is another. Chill out... you can live for another few months without a crash happy crossfading empeg. =]

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 10/07/2003 23:11

Yeah, I meant to put that in there. Thanks to all the empeg guys for working on it. The fact that 3.0 even exists still amazes me... The fact that 2.0 final exists is amazing in and of itself. No other products support comes close in the upgrade category.
Chill out... you can live for another few months without a crash happy crossfading empeg. =]

Yes, I can. I think I'm just in a bad mood tonight because my amp has stopped working and started blowing fuses.... But that's a post for the ICE board.

Matthew
Posted by: 303

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 01:49

nice try!
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 04:56

Peter (and the others),
Good luck working on the Pearl, you guys sound pretty busy. When you get to the point that donations will make a difference in the scheduling of the "Bug Blatt" be sure to let us know. Kidding aside, let us know when the "Blatt" is going to be so we can fund some of the "sustenance". Not only are we anxious to see the new version, but I for one would like a way to say "thank you" for all the hard work you're putting in on this stuff.

And for the record, if you'd chosen something totally arbitrary for who to give Alphas to such as the last letter in people's names I'd be totally cool with that (edit: I mean this to mean that I wouldn't have any complaints about anything you decide with regards to Alphas, arbitrary or not). I'm sure the lucky ones at the meet are glad to be part of the program. I am kind of interested in hearing someone describe how the cross-fading works though . . .

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 04:59

Greetings!

One thing I do find curious about all of this. The person who recommended the food / beer bribes for the bug blatt is the person who does not live anywhere near empeg towers!
Posted by: Roger

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 05:33

how the cross-fading works

Really well, thanks .
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 05:38

Really well, thanks

Ouch! Thanks for making me smile this morning.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 05:39

I knew you were going to say that!
*sigh*

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 06:22

nice try!

I'm nothing if not creative.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 08:39

Don't forget... they don't HAVE to give you anything

Actually, they do. Since they have distributed the alpha to _somebody_ and it contains a linux kernel binary, they are now obligated to provide the source to said kernel. Beyond that, you are right.

I couldn't really care about cross-fading. I have no desire to have my empeg crash on me either. But I'd really like to see what may have changed in the kernel.

Let's not get too arsey about it...

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 08:48

I couldn't really care about cross-fading. I have no desire to have my empeg crash on me either. But I'd really like to see what may have changed in the kernel.
I don't think we've changed anything in the kernel since 2.0final. But yes, of course you're right, if we have then any NDAs and so on don't apply to any such changes.

Peter
Posted by: sirmanson

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 10:38

I agree completely. I would be very happy to chip in a few bucks to fund your work on future versions of the software.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 12:25

Really well, thanks

Oh, so funny.

It is an oddity, but I am one of the people who probably uses only 20 percent of the software power of the Empeg. I spend most of my time on Shuffle/Random (and loving it!!).

It is then maybe an injustice then that I have a CD in my bag of the v3 alpha just by the accident of being able to go to Amersfoort. I will go home and install it and run shuffle (and who knows maybe re-install v2 when I become tired of the new random shutdown feature).

But this is not what the new alpha means to me. Since February I have been ripping new CDs in Ogg on speculation. I had no right to expect that The Guys would deliver new functionality including Ogg, I only had an optimistic hope. I could only wait and hope, and, frankly, I became a little chagrined when the occasional visitor would ask "So where's the Ogg???". To me, all Empeg improvements are now pure gravy.

Soooooo, when I get a CD that has v3 alpha, it doesn't translate into "look what I have today". It translates into "Wow, The Guys are still at work." --- events have conspired to let The Guys keep banging away at all of this, which is very, very cool. Everything I heard in the Netherlands sounded very positive for the old "Success Toujours" thing. I look forward to v3 Beta and to being the first guy in my block to own a 40GB iPod beater!
Posted by: rob

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:05

I tell you what might speed the process up - bung a bit of money behind the bar at the Wrestlers, and let them know that the food and beer is paid for

Nah don't do that right now. I'm already working 12 - 15 hour days and I don't want to feel guilty about not doing any car stuff on top of it. Give it a month or so and everything should be a lot more relaxed at empeg towers.

Rob
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:08

Soooooo, when I get a CD that has v3 alpha, it doesn't translate into "look what I have today". It translates into "Wow, The Guys are still at work." --- events have conspired to let The Guys keep banging away at all of this, which is very, very cool.
I agree, we really have to hand it to The Guys for all the work they've done. It occurs to me, though, that part of the reason they're offering us a V3 trunk build is because of the quality of this closely-knit user community. We're the perfect test platform for new software technology.

Edit: Re-reading that, it sounds kind of conceited. What I was trying to say was: The guys deserve our gratitude. And at the same time, we deserve a pat on the back for continuing to be the coolest user community on the web.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:09

Aren't we allowed to talk about what was said at the meet? Rob gave us a pretty decent idea of when we'd see them (in the States anyway) and why that time was significant.

Repeat after me.. Rob said nothing at the meet. Rob likes his job, and doesn't want to find a new one.

Thank you.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:11

Who's Rob? I didn't see any Rob at the meet.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:17

Though it's their decision who gets alpha releases, I think not letting us plebians get acess to it soon after is pretty rude

Just chill OK? The CD's were handed out at the meet because I thought it would be a cool thing to do. If I'd been going to a meet in California or Iceland and the timing was right the same thing would have happened. I liked the idea of throwing around a few dozen CDR's with TOP SECRET printed on them. It was a laugh, and if you haven't worked it out yet, that's what the whole empeg thing is about.

So 40 people have got a preview release (which isn't really useful for anything more than playing with - it screws up with choppy playback after a while) who otherwise would not have done. You may resent their luck but I have to say I'm not losing sleep over it. What you SHOULD be complaining about is the extraordinary quantity of beer and meat products that you missed out on!

Rob
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:25

Nah don't do that right now. I'm already working 12 - 15 hour days and I don't want to feel guilty about not doing any car stuff on top of it. Give it a month or so and everything should be a lot more relaxed at empeg towers.

I'm sorry, but I smell the beginnings of 'delusion' here..
That would be after Pearl/Karma is released.. And you think you're going to have time THEN? Uhhuh.

Me.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 14:39

I'm sorry, but I smell the beginnings of 'delusion' here.. That would be after Pearl/Karma is released.. And you think you're going to have time THEN? Uhhuh.
The funny thing is, the late nights they're working aren't even for Pearl.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 15:49

Woohoo. Maybe my wife can get a new car this year after all. When does MY2004 start in the car world? A few weeks?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 17:16

At least as far as Volvo goes, it's been 2004 for at least a month now.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 11/07/2003 23:37

So I have a month to come up with 400.00 I'll Have to figure out what to do with the riot though.
Posted by: loren

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 00:24

Same with Subaru. It's been '04 for at least two months.
Posted by: 303

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 01:36

correct!

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 04:06

.. and started the trend, might I (heh-hem) modestly add.

There is no doubt when you're at The Towers that the team appreciates these little gestures of generosity. The first time I treated them, they called me up from the pub and all shouted "Thanks,Rob!"

Wonderful, generous blokes, and it is a genuine priviledge/pleasure to have an association with them. Cheers!

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 04:07

What meet? Did I miss something?

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 04:32

Actually, no-one who attended the meet had access to the software that Rob brought with him. It was a special build for the meet.

Some people drove across several borders, (e.g. Michal 1,200 km, and Mike Tempsch came from Sweden), with many coming from Germany, France, England, Scotland, Belgium. There were only a few who were in "Just the right place at the right time" - in fact, I'd be tempted to say that I, as the organiser, who knew what was coming in advance, was the only one. The rest made the effort to come. Everyone was warned the event was on, and as soon as I knew something special was happening, I posted it on the board. In the week between me posting that and the event, I had 3 more people sign on for the event.

I will confess that I am pretty annoyed with the unreasonable grumpiness of your posting. You had the opportunity to come, you didn't. I arranged special events for the participants to make sure they had a good time when they came here - you didn't come, so why should you feel a need to moan?

The reason you may have to wait months for the Beta of this software is:

- not all the alpha bugs have been reported
- the empeg team are busy with their paid duties which come first
- Rob is being understandably cautious (in your favour) to ensure that you don't loose the contents of your disks, say, due to some unprecedented bug which has not appeared before now. And yes, before you ask, the alpha team has seen this happen in the past. Would you prefer that a copy of this is given out to an uncontrolled distribution group? I am willing to bet that in the event you got bitten, you would be one of the first to jump up and scream publically about "c*** software"!

Finally, I regard your post here as "Rude", too, matey. The work done on this software is done without pay, in personal time, by a group of people who basically like doing this. If earning a crust for some reason gets in the way, who are you to complain about "delays"?

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 05:53

At least as far as Volvo goes, it's been 2004 for at least a month now.

Pants. I'll go back to sleep now.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 06:00

I think he's just angry because he's not used to it. Normally all the new releases, be it hardware or software are almost ALWAYS released first it the US. Us Europeans sometimes need to wait MONTHS before we can get our hands on the stuff too. Sometimes we even NEVER get a chance to buy it in Europe even if it was developed here (like with the Rio central).

So now, for once, it's the other way around. (About bloody time! ) Even if it's only an Alpha release.

Live with it Matthew, I've experienced this at least a dozen times before.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 07:14

Rob is being understandably cautious (in your favour) to ensure that you don't loose the contents of your disks, say

Hijack the unlink system call and refuse to unlink anything that isn't the database, unless (mumble, say, something echoed into a file in /proc)

Of course it wouldn't help if the problem were instead writing garbage into the files.

Finally, I regard your post here as "Rude", too, matey.

I know this wasn't in reply to me, but if I get rude, please smack me down. I'm serious.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 07:17

What you SHOULD be complaining about is the extraordinary quantity of beer and meat products that you missed out on!

I'm sure admitting it will be cause to never get an alpha under any circumstance, but I'm not much for beer, or anything else with alcohol. Occasionally, but not often, and not much.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 08:03

I'm sure admitting it will be cause to never get an alpha under any circumstance, but I'm not much for beer, or anything else with alcohol. Occasionally, but not often, and not much

Nah. I'm not much into beer also and I even managed to have fun at the meet without it! I also DID get an Alpha release !

Hugo doesn't like beer also, so I wasn't the only one. Although I will admit that the non-beer drinkers were a very small minority at the meet! But we weren't discriminated ! Really!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 10:16

All v3alpha kernel changes are already in the Hijack source tree, folks! (not much to speak of, really).
Posted by: Roger

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 10:51

Hijack the unlink system call

That won't necessarily work. The last music-hosing bug totally screwed up the filesystem. It wasn't that simple.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 12/07/2003 12:21

That won't necessarily work. The last music-hosing bug totally screwed up the filesystem. It wasn't that simple.

Unless it was something involving unmounted writes, and depending on how you do those, even then, there's still limited damage you can do that the kernel can't be modified to simply not allow. Doesn't really do much good for testing, of course.

But then, that's what backup empegs are for. This one ate itself? Pull out the spare, plug it in, keep driving.

Re: Need 3.0 Alpha software for upgrade - 13/07/2003 07:47

Unless it was something involving unmounted writes, and depending on how you do those, even then, there's still limited damage you can do that the kernel can't be modified to simply not allow.
It was all to do with writes done by fsck to a read-only mounted partition (and not, as it should have been, an unmounted partition). Suborning unlink() would not have saved these people; preventing direct partition writes on mounted filesystems might have, but realising that this was a potential problem equalled no more and no less than discovering the bug anyway.

Peter