Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar?

Posted by: Mulkman

Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 02:49

Hi folks! Is the Hitachi Travelstar still the flavour of the moment as regards hard drives? I'll be looking for an 80 gigger.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 04:44

I believe so!
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 05:16

Yes sir, they are great!
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 06:11

I have always been happy with them, but you do not need the "newest" version of them. The original with the slower rotation rate is fine for the empeg.
Posted by: rtundo

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 06:33

Has anybody seen news/announcements from Hitachi or others of proposed release dates for larger 2.5 drives. Just curious.

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 06:59

No. Not yet. I watch their site every few weeks for any news or announcements...
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 07:35

Didn't you run into memory problems with your 2 x 80gb drives? I can't imagine that the Empeg could support higher without some 'issues' arising.

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 07:41

Well, only very minor stuff, and I do not know if it is related to the 80GB drives or other experiments. I need to play around with it some more. But playback is still completely stable, so I am watching for larger capacity - I am down to 6GB of disk space left!!!
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 14:51

And to clarify, it's not the size of the drives that caused the issue, it was the number of songs! As Paul pointed out, the slower drives are fine and in fact run cooler (less heat) than the faster spinning ones.

Re: Which hard drive? Still Hitachi Travelstar? - 11/10/2003 14:56

There were also bits where, during an FSCK with errors, you needed to enable swap in order for it to build its error handling table, but that was minor also.