Screw size?

Posted by: Heather

Screw size? - 23/01/2012 16:46

I noticed the connector attached to sled sled has been loose for a while, so after once again repairing the car around the empeg to keep using it, I decided to take out the sled and tighten them back up. One problem, they've disappeared. Anyone know what size and thread I should get to replace them?
Posted by: larry818

Re: Screw size? - 24/01/2012 14:25

According to the parts thread, if you buy the connector, you get two screws with it...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Electric/QR-P6-24S-C01/?qs=XQjbzJWzFPU%2fBPqHn9zgpQ%3d%3d
Posted by: Tothwolf

Re: Screw size? - 29/01/2012 06:25

The original screws are M3x0.5, which are 3mm with a 0.5mm thread pitch, and are 8mm long (measured from the underside of the head). They are stainless steel (I assume 18-8) with a Pozidriv pan head.

The screws in both of the MK2a sleds I looked at have damaged heads, which leads me to believe that a phillips driver was used to install them during manufacture instead of a Pozidriv driver.

McMaster-Carr has a similar screw with a #1 phillips head as item # 92000A118 for $4.66 for a package of 100.

I would also strongly recommend using a low strength (purple) thread locker such as MG Chemicals 8701, Permatex 24024, or Loctite #222.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Screw size? - 29/01/2012 20:14

Wrong screws. The docking connector screws are quite different, and very specialized. The only source to date is to purchase a new connector with screws included in the package.
Posted by: Tothwolf

Re: Screw size? - 29/01/2012 23:34

I took the screws out of one of my sled's connectors and measured them, so I don't see how it could be wrong. I can't see that there is anything all that special about them, other than being metric.

I think you mean the screws on the Empeg itself. Those are slightly nonstandard and have a shoulder so the docking connector can self-align with the mating connector in the sled. Heather asked about the screws for the sled though. The screws for the sled are fully threaded M3x0.5 x 8mm.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Screw size? - 30/01/2012 02:05

Ahh.. Righto, I suppose. Well done!