Knowing when emplode is syncing?

Posted by: drakino

Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 15/05/2001 15:18

I;m getting back around to getting my d.net client installed on the empeg, and dug up some of my past issues. One is knowing when emplode is syncing data to the empeg. Is there a way to tell if emplode is syncing to the empeg? One work around I can think of is to see if the drives are RW, but does emplode always have the drives RW when it's syncing, or only during certain phases?

On a side note, this would also be useful for my menu system, so that when the player quits and restarts during the sync process, my init could determain if it needs to relaunch the player right away to finish the sync, or to just let the menu run because it's a normal quit.

Posted by: Roger

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 16/05/2001 02:30

only during certain phases?

Emplode has the disk r/w for most of the synchronise. Except for the post-synchronise download.

However, this is not necessarily an indication that there's a sync happening -- the disks could be r/w for some other reason.

On the other point, perhaps the player should exit with a different result if it's going around for the second half of a sync? Maybe it already does?

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg
Posted by: PaulWay

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 16/05/2001 03:22

Speaking of distributed.net, does the car player company formerly known as empeg, or anyone else, have any advice for easy installation of same into a Mark I?

Paul

Holder (while I buy it off my brother) of Mark I empeg 00061.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 16/05/2001 08:44

Speaking of distributed.net, does the car player company formerly known as empeg, or anyone else, have any advice for easy installation of same into a Mark I?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't distributed.net only useful if you've got ethernet?

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 16/05/2001 09:02

You could obtain blocks via a Internet connected PC, pop them on the empeg for cracking and then back to the PC and up to the internet via PC.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver
Posted by: fvgestel

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 16/05/2001 12:08

I've just noticed that during synchronization, one of the player threads is in an uninterruptable sleep, which shows up in /proc//stat as a capital D as third field.
you could use :
cat [1-9]*/stat | grep ' D '

If the above command returns some output, the empeg is synchronizing...

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: drakino

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 12/06/2001 18:02

One other thing I noticed during sync is this: "Adding Swap: 16596k swap-space (priority -3)". When is the swap space deleted? Before or after the reboot of the player program?

Posted by: peter

Re: Knowing when emplode is syncing? - 13/06/2001 02:38

One other thing I noticed during sync is this: "Adding Swap: 16596k swap-space (priority -3)". When is the swap space deleted? Before or after the reboot of the player program?

The swap isn't deleted as such; there's a 16M partition set aside especially for swap. However, swapping to a spun-down disc is widely regarded as a Bad Thing, so swapping is only enabled during synchronise (in fact, during media checking). Long before the player restart, swapoff() is called.

Peter