Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate?

Posted by: frekin

Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 13/02/2002 21:39

I guess I just didn't notice them with the stock blue faceplate, but since installing the red one today, there have been red horizontal lines across the display. They are faint, but definitely noticeable. I took the faceplate off and noticed that they come from wires that actually cross the front of the VFD. Is it normal to see them so clearly with a faceplate on?

I'm quite happy with the new color, because the red matches the dashboard illumination of my '99 Civic Si perfectly. For anyone who's curious, I ordered the faceplate set from carplayer.com, and everything went smoothly. Still, paying ~$50 total for pieces of coated plastic does feel a bit wrong. I'll get over it.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 13/02/2002 22:57

I kept meaning to post the exact same query. I see those lines as well, but only after I installed my red faceplate. I can only imagine that they're supposed to be there. Don't notice them at all in the car, though, even at night.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 13/02/2002 23:15

These are part of the VFD display, and yes of course they're supposed to be there.

They are the heating elements for the VFD display. Yes, you read that right. It's just how VFDs work. Don't ask me how, it would take a scientist to explain it, and I was a Humanities major.
Posted by: altman

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 14/02/2002 00:25

Correct; they're easier to spot on the red faceplate because they glow reddish. You can see them on any VFD if you look closely (eg, in a dark room).

Hugo
Posted by: beaker

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 14/02/2002 11:16

I guess they're the Electron source. You need to heat the wire so that the Electrons are free enough to leave the attraction of the Nucleus (under the influence of a fairly high voltage). These free Electrons are then attracted to the positively charged Anode... hang on a minute... let me go and find out for sure.

Aha!! found it. Take a look here for a full explanation.
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 14/02/2002 11:45

With the dark storm smoke plate I am seeing red in the grid too. I thought it was imagination!

Calvin
Posted by: frekin

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 15/02/2002 10:29

I figured that they appeared more clearly under the red faceplate because they were emitting red photons, but I wasn't sure what those lines are. That link to the VFD Guide was just what I was looking for, and explains everything. Thanks.
Posted by: beaker

Re: Faint horizontal lines w/ red faceplate? - 15/02/2002 11:31

No probs.