display board upgrade possible??

Posted by: puckalicious

display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 06:59

Just curious if anyone has thought of the possibility of making a new display board with a higher res LCD or OLED display. I imagine it would be expensive but I'd bet there are enough hard-core owners willing to pay for one. Just a thought.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 09:50

Nope, this can't be done. It's been talked about a couple of times. It's just not feasible given that the replacement display would have to have the same pinouts and signals, unless you were fabricating some kind of convertor.

And the real limitation is that the player software, which is why we all bought our Empegs, wouldn't support the higher resolution. So someone would have to re-write a custom player app, as well as hacking up the display drivers... I don't see it happening.
Posted by: puckalicious

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 10:32

Any hope of a MkIII model in the future?? Or did Rio ruin everything?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 10:44

Any hope of a MkIII model in the future?? Or did Rio ruin everything?

Yes, there is hope, but it won't be a retail item. If it happens, it will probably be OEM.
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 11:59

That's OK, we can make adapters for anything
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 12:58

dude when the mkIII comes out got an oem car.. im so goign to buy that car..
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 18/02/2002 12:58

That's too bad. It would be cool if a display can be made at the same resolution even, using white LEDs that are visible in sunlight.

Calvin
Posted by: Chao

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 19/02/2002 12:30

Tease.
Posted by: drakino

Re: display board upgrade possible?? - 20/02/2002 19:20

Not OEM as in car makers only, OEM as in companies like Sony, Pioneer, and Clairon. (Well scratch the first twom they have their own crappy ones out now...)