Wireless network question

Posted by: JPJ

Wireless network question - 28/07/2005 05:33

Has anybody been successful connecting the Rio Central to a wireless network? How did you do it?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Wireless network question - 28/07/2005 06:29

Because the Rio Central only has built-in support for wired USB network adapters (and only a few specific ones at that), the only way to do it is to buy the correct wired USB network adapter, and plug THAT into a wireless access point which can talk to your main wireless access point.

The trick is figuring out how to configure both access points so they can talk to each other (as opposed to just client laptops and such).
Posted by: andy

Re: Wireless network question - 28/07/2005 08:46

Though of course wireless ethernet adapters (the things often advertised as good for wireless enabling games consoles) are more affordable now, so you don't tend to have to go to the trouble of hacking an access point to work as a client now.

For example the Netgear WGE111 now costs about £50 in the UK, roughly comparable in price to Netgear's access points (whereas they used to tend to cost twice as much as the access points, hence the reason people ended up using access points a clients).

Given the pain that can be involved in getting an access point to act as a client I would recommend an Ethernet-wireless bridge/adapter now.

Of course, you still need the USB Ethernet device as well.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Wireless network question - 28/07/2005 13:07

I'm using one of the supported USB to wired ethernet dongles and connect it to a WET11. Works fine, but it slow (likely due to distance from the AP).
Posted by: JPJ

Re: Wireless network question - 30/07/2005 18:35

it looks like most (if not all) of the recommended usb adapters are not in the market anymore. Do you recommend a specific replacement or any adapter should do the tricK?
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: Wireless network question - 30/07/2005 19:44

I've had great luck with my Centrals using the Linksys Model USB100TX. I see on eBay that there are a few up for auction, with one of them listed at a Buy It Now price of $7.99.

Randy
Posted by: geeknerd

Re: Wireless network question - 31/07/2005 01:49

Is this one that is "blessed" by rio? I have one that "works", but I'm getting annoyed at having to manually load the drivers at each reboot (insmod pegasus).

Also, to your point, you could probably get a usb wireless dongle working with the central, however you would have to manually load it at each reboot. Unless of course the rio guys share the secret of how to get the drivers to autoload.

If you need the drivers, let me know, I'm pretty sure that I have them compiled as loadable modules (from the source code release by rio).
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: Wireless network question - 31/07/2005 03:18

Yes, I believe the Linksys model is one that is blessed by the Central folks...And like the poster said above, I think you could achieve wireless connectivity by coming out of that dongle into a WAP...

Randy