Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car (HiJack feature?)

Posted by: Fastrack

Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car (HiJack feature?) - 13/02/2002 06:45

I noticed that over time the clock on my Mk2a actually gains time!

Not sure if this would be a Hijack feature or if it's even possible. But could we send a command via HiJack Http or Ftp to set the system time on the player?

Posted by: Yang

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car (HiJack feature?) - 13/02/2002 07:29

or better yet, port over an NTS client..
Posted by: tms13

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car - 13/02/2002 08:04

I was going to ask if someone out there has the ability to write a user-mode program that could be launched from Hijack, that could read the secondary RDS feed and update the clock. I'd do it myself, but I don't have access for debugging etc. when the tuner is present (i.e. in the car).

On a related note, has anyone built a binary of ntpdate for empeg? The debian binary depends on libraries we don't have by default, and I don't plan to have the entire distro on my player...
Posted by: Yang

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car - 13/02/2002 10:12

One possible port-target is Chrony as it has the ability to determine how far off the RTC gets and adjust it even if there is no NTP server available.
Posted by: ellweber

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car (HiJack feature?) - 13/02/2002 11:01

Of course, the best possible source for accurate time data would be an attached GPS receiver! Sub millisecond data is redily available, discounting data comm delays.

Lynn
Posted by: Fastrack

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car - 13/02/2002 11:35

Well isn't there a simple command which could be run on the rio by HiJack to update the time?

for example:

http://myempeg/?time=23:00:00

When I connect the empeg to my computer using the Empeg Control program I'm writting it could automatically update the time with my Windows system clock. Which is up-to-date

Is there such a command?
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car - 13/02/2002 12:23

Browsing the /bin directory of the player, no, doesn't look like there is such a command (date for instance)... Unless you can/could get at the clock through some funky /proc or /dev entry...

/Michael
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Automatically setting Clock on Rio Car - 13/02/2002 17:03

I snagged this debian ARM date binary (attached) from somewhere and it worked on my Mk2a.