New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack

Posted by: mschrag

New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 26/02/2002 19:27

The new prerelease jEmplode on http://www.jempeg.org can now download from the Empeg using HTTP via HiJack. This gives you close to download the performance over the Empeg protocol. I'm looking into what it would take to upload using HiJack, but this is a bit trickier.

To enable HiJack downloads, go to Tools... Options ... and select "Use HiJack when Possible".

PLEASE NOTE: Don't even bother checking the box if you don't have HiJack installed on your Empeg -- All downloads will fail if you do.

Mike
Posted by: loren

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 26/02/2002 23:44

K, excuse my idiocy if i'm missing something obvious... but what would the advantage be, and if there isn't one, why was this implemented.

Just wanna make sure I "get it" if it needs to go in the FAQ. Thanks for all the kick ass work on Jemplode. Great stuff.
Posted by: jbauer

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 00:03

I think this gives a big speed increase...?

- Jon

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 01:16

Hrm... i just didn't know how to take this sentence...

"This gives you close to download the performance over the Empeg protocol"

Does that mean "close to the performance of the empeg protocol" or "download performance over the empeg protocol"?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 01:22

I think it was a typo. I think Mike meant:

"This gives you close to double the download performance over the Empeg protocol"

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 01:27

Nice... let's hope that's the case =]

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 01:36

Just tried it. It is the case. Rock. Nice work, Mike.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 06:29

hehehe .. WHOOPS .. Yeah .. I was typing fast. My poor brain couldn't keep up.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 06:32

Too late for me to edit the post, but just so you don't have to read all the way down the thread that should say "close to _double_ the performance" not "close to _download_ the performance". That would be me not paying attention as I was typing. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 07:35

Wow! So has anyone done a test or writen a little experience with how this thing downloads into folders? I've never used Jemplode, but this feature alone will make me look into it. Also, this plue VolAdjust and TimeDelay are the only things tempting about the HiJack (to me).

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 07:49

If you download from playlists, it will create folders that correspond to those playlists. If you download from the soup, you can specify the format of what directories will be created (i.e. {artist}\{title}.mp3)

Mike
Posted by: mlord

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 08:23

>VolAdjust and TimeDelay are the only things tempting
>about the HiJack (to me).

Err.. how about "Filesystem Check on Sync::Disabled" and the two "Restore Visuals" functions.. and the short-knob-press menu.. Those are all universal pothole patches for the player.

Cheers

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 08:45

Genius never is appreciated in its own time

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 09:29

Sorry 'bout that Mark. After I posted, I was thinking that maybe I should clarify a bit.

The reason that I haven't stepped up to HiJack yet is because I'd rather wait until 2.00 gets a more stable beta. Currently, I don't use even 1/2 of the features in the player software. This is mearly because I'm still learning them all. I don't know crap about Linux, so thoughts of FTP'ing into it is beyond my skills at this time. So I'm not that much of a hacker. The features that are most appealing to me are the music orientated ones. I don't have a LAN at home, and am not allowed to plug into the LAN at work, so I can't benefit from any streaming yet. (LAN at home is in the works however...)

I didn't mean any disrespect. In fact, the only reason that I am being so appologetic is because I do appreciate what you are doing. I like how you have been helping other developers (and demanding more from them). I have even been tempted to post something along the lines of "Now that Hugo isn't allowed to work on the player software, and it is probably not given high priority at SB compared to other projects, I really wish Mark was given the player source and allowed to help on the Beta developement." I thought some people might take it the wrong way (as in "what the empeg guys aren't good enough for you!?!") so I never posted it as its own thread.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 10:54

Okay, unnecessary apologetic drivelling accepted.

You are hereby sentenced to go forth and use Tony's Logo Editor to install a custom boot logo onto your pristine player!

Get up off your knees and go forth!!

(sheez..)

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 11:10

To my credit, I've had custom boot logos for nearly 1/2 a year! I think I have 20 or so boot logos that I've uploaded to the logo site too. (With correct colors).

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 11:19

Get up off your knees and go forth!!

Taking our last name a little too literally, are we?
Posted by: rob

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 11:32

Now that Hugo isn't allowed to work on the player software

Hugo hasn't been allowed to work on the player software for years! It's complicated, and he would break it.

(I think you slightly misinterpreted his post from which you gleaned this information)

Rob

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 11:38

Rob, thanks for the correction on that. I assumed that when he said he wasn't allowed it was because he was instructed not to by someone above him in the company. He only mentioned the player software. Based on that, it made sense it was related to the EOL.

I was wondering why my post in that thread never got a response! Everyone must have been saying "what the hell is he talking about!"

Enough fumblings for today.... I'm going to i-club.com for a few hours.
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 14:44

Mike, when editing Congif.ini here is what I have :

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 14:49

That's a pretty picture If this is about turning on HiJack downloads, you want Tools.. Options, not Tools... Edit Config.ini . If it's not, then I'm thoroughly confused.
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 15:01

Sorry, I am not clear :

This picture is what I have after choosing Tools -> Edit Config.ini.

I don't sync my player, exit Jemplode, Launch Emplode and Edit my config.ini but I dont Have those caracters ??

Here is a sample of my config.ini

;Define Httpd Port
khttpd_port=80
;Disable play for HTTP Stream
;khttpd_commands=0
;Disable File Browsing
khttpd_files=1
;Define FTP Max Connexions
max_connections=3
supress_notify=1
;Enable Tuner Simulation
;fake_tuner=1

and here is what I hve in Jemplode

; ??? ;Define Httpd Port
khttpd_port=80
; ??? ;Disable play for HTTP Stream
;khttpd_commands=0
; ??? ;Disable File Browsing
khttpd_files=1
; ??? ;Define FTP Max Connexions
max_connections=3
supress_notify=1
; ??? ;Enable Tuner Simulation
;fake_tuner=1

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 15:06

I wonder if that's because you didn't specify a group for those values ... config.ini is a windows .ini-format file.

maybe make it:

[whatevergroupname]
;Define Httpd Port

I'll look at that tonight, regardless.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 15:09

Nope .. weird .. I looked at this. For some strange reason emptool (which i ported straight from) prepends all comments with "???". I'll remove that -- it doesn't appear to do anything.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 15:11

I got those ???'s when i was setting up my ir_translate. I just made sure there were no extra carraige returns or extra spaces at the end of the lines and they cleared up.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 15:13

I lied again -- in 1600x1200 a : looks a lot like ; ... jEmplode was basically looking for colons instead of semicolons at the head of the line.... My bad.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 16:48

OK -- it should be fixed in the new prerelease on www.jempeg.org (along with layered soup playlists <by artist, by album> -- this is brand new, so expect some weirdness).

Mike
Posted by: jwickis

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 19:14

I don't know crap about Linux, so thoughts of FTP'ing into it is beyond my skills at this time.

I don't know much of anything about Linux either except what I've learned from people here. I use a Windows based FTP program to access files not Linux.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 19:21

I do FTP quite a bit too for web design stuff. What I meant was that I don't trust myself dinking around inside of the empeg. I still find it weird that you can assign max room to folders for instance.

I used to use DOS all the time before Windows, so I'm not intimidated by a command prompt, but I don't know any of the commands. I just faithfully follow instructions given to me in the upgrade guide or on this BBS.

FWIW: I did go and install HiJack! Very cool! I didn't realize it so seamlessly integrated into the player software. I always thought you had to F around to tweek it. I know you CAN do that, but before, I thought HAD to.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 20:11

>FWIW: I did go and install HiJack! Very cool! I didn't realize
>it so seamlessly integrated into the player software.
>I always thought you had to F around to tweek it.
>I know you CAN do that, but before, I thought HAD to.

I kinda suspected that might be the case.. thanks for giving it a try and finding out otherwise.

A primary design principle for Hijack is that it must be incredibly simple to install and use for anyone here. Sure, it has a heck of a lot of more advanced features, but nearly everything comes up with sensible first-level functionality, and the rest is still reasonably easy to configure if one chooses to.

Cheers

Posted by: Yang

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 22:53

If you associate the zimage file with Tony's logo editor, it makes installing new kernels a simple matter of clicking on the link, selecting run, and plugging the empeg in via serial.. I don't know of anything else that's as easy.. Just tag on "%1" 10000 1 to the application path and it's semi-automatic.. (Course, that's for winders..)

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 23:23

I actually designed Logoedit so that you could double-click on a .zimage file and it should run the main "logoedit.exe" and then upload the logo for you.

Unfortunately, it only works intermittently for me. Sometimes it launches the logo editor without uploading the file. Sometimes it launches and uploads. I haven't figured out why, yet.

When I address the next version of the logo editor, I will see if I can make it work 100 percent, and then it will be even easier (just say "open with" on a Zimage file, and check the "always open this kind of file with this program" box).

As it stands right now, you can do that and it will work sometimes. If it doesn't work, at least logoedit will run and then you can just drag the zimage file onto the logo editor and it will work at that time.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 27/02/2002 23:44

I still find it weird that you can assign max room to folders for instance.
???

I think of myself as something of a Unix expert, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, so either you've been misinformed here, or you've struck one of my random areas of no-knowledge(TM).

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 00:19

You should see if you could somehow integrate a feature like Autohijack. It doesn't get any easier that that once you set it up. Just double click and it checks for a new version, downloads and installs it in one swoop. Sweet!

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 06:37

I guess really misunderstood... I was referring to this post by you:

Simple: find a partition that has enough space on it.

The root partition on your player probably (just guessing here..) has only about 7MB of available space, so your FTP bombs once that space is consumed.

I had mis-read it (or remembered incorrectly) as the "root directory" not the "root partition". And it made no sense to me, but I just chalked it up as my lack of knowledge in Linux. Looking at it now, it does make perfect sense. It's another thread that I just glanced over seeing what bits I could learn. I think next time I'll wait till after my first cup of coffee!

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 06:42

To be honest, I think that the kernal load in the Logo Editor couldn't be any easier. A complete no-brainer. The install of the kernal was never a concern of mine. Except for the patch files... a month or so ago, when I was first looking into HiJack (and made a post asking for people's comments) I really didn't know what all the files were for and whether or not I needed them all. I figured it out quick enough from Mark's page, but it might seem confusing at first to others. I PM'd Loren yesterday about adding that to the FAQ.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 07:17

For me it has never _not_ worked. The only thing that ever goes wrong, is when the empeg is already up and ignores the logo tool's attempt at rebooting it.. if you have spaces in the path of the zimage file, make sure that the %1 has quotes around it or it won't be passed in as a single argument.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 10:46

I still find it weird that you can assign max room to folders for instance.
I think of myself as something of a Unix expert, and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about,

I thought he was referring to disk quotas. Is that even enabled in the Empeg version of the Linux OS?

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 10:48

if you have spaces in the path of the zimage file, make sure that the %1 has quotes around it or it won't be passed in as a single argument.

I don't think "upload.exe" will tolerate spaces and quotes. Logoedit.exe deliberately changes the name to a short filename before passing it on to upload.exe.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 11:34

He clarified later that he misunderstood something that was said. The reason I assumed it wasn't quotas is because Windows also has quotas, not to mention that the quota concept doesn't quite match his description.

And you're right in that the empeg kernel does not have quota support turned on.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 11:38

because Windows has quotas

Windows did not have quotas until Windows 2000 server was released. And when the did it in 2K server, they did it in a horribly broken way that is completely useless to any network administrator.

As a result, I use a third-party product to do quotas on my NT4 servers and I do not use 2K as my main server OS.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 11:53

Fair enough. I never really used NT that much, but my W2K workstation machine has quota support, FYI. Out of curiosity, in what way is it broken?

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 12:21

Out of curiosity, in what way is it broken?

The proper way to do quotas is by directory. For instance: "Folder named F:\Foobar\Documents cannot exceed 200 megabytes. The following users are allowed to exceed this quota in an emegergency: Tony, Bitt, and Mark."

Windows 2000, on the other hand, has a completely and totally useless way of doing it, which is: "The user named Bitt cannot store more than 200 megabytes on this disk drive".

There is no option for granularity, and it doesn't let you control individual folders and network shares. So I can't, for example, take a 200gb RAID array that's mapped as a single drive letter, create multiple shares ("Programming", "Art Department", "Managers"), and manage the caps on those shares individually.

The whole point of quotas (for me) is to prevent a given network share from consuming an entire disk drive. In the example above, I would need to balance the caps on those shares so that the Managers don't fill up the drive, making Programming and Art Department run out of critical space. Microsoft's way of doing it is useless in this regard.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 12:29

The way you described it working currently under Windows is the same way it works under most Unix implementations I've seen. The major difference being how drives are organized under Unix as opposed to Windows. Anyone know how VMS deals with quotas? It would seem that whatever method is used there would have been a better choice for Windows.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 13:16

I don't think "upload.exe" will tolerate spaces and quotes. Logoedit.exe deliberately changes the name to a short filename before passing it on to upload.exe.

Well... All I know is that it didn't work before, and after I put the quotes around the %1 in the file association, it worked.. As I always do the 'open file' option in IE, and have never had any problems (am pretty sure it throws it into the Temporary Internet Files directory, and the filename is definately longer than 8 characters) I am pretty confident that things are being taken care of.. *shrug*

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 14:20

and the filename is definately longer than 8 characters

The problem isn't the length, it's the fact that the code uses spaces to parse command line parameters. So if the path and/or filename has spaces, it will mis-parse as far as I know. There's no problem with a 50-character filename as long as it doesn't have spaces. I could be wrong...

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 15:10

oops.. I should have double-checked this before.. Just associate the zimage file with the upload.exe tool and not logoedit.exe..

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 15:58

Right, but as I was saying, I intended for you to be able to associate it with logoedit. I don't know why doing this only works intermittently.
Posted by: NiCKEL

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 16:29

You can also check out:
http://pernocto.com/index.php?frame=kload&main=/empeg/kload/

It will associate a couple of scripts with .zimage so that when selecting open or double clicking, FindEMPEG will get the IP address of your unit and then dos ftp wiil be used to send the new kernel over. I have been using it for a while and havn't had any trouble with it.

You will of course need to have a version of Hijack installed to use the FTP server.

If your using windows 2000/NT keep an eye on the webpage I will be releasing a WinLogon extension DLL shortly that pauses/unpauses the player when you lock/unlock your workstation

-Geoff

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 16:33

The idea of the WinLogon extension is a neat one. I like that.

But I already have the GINA double-daisy-chained with two other utilities and I'd be really leery about replacing that. Once I screwed up my system in that area and it wouldn't log on properly until I fixed the GINA daisy chain. That was a pain in the ass.

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 16:50

i added your stuff to the FAQ here. If that doesn't satisfy let me know. =]
Posted by: NiCKEL

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 18:19

My DLL is only an extension not a hook. I simply get notified of events by the winlogon executable so even if my DLL fails the worst that happens is the player doesn't pause/unpause.... well the _worst_ thing that could happen is the dll sets off a chain of events ending in total global annihilation.... but that’s relatively unlikely.

I’m not as low down as the GINA since I don't really need to do authentication and the such I simply want to know when you lock/unlock.

The add-on is actually up now if anyone wanted to take a gander.

http://pernocto.com/index.php?frame=PLock&main=/empeg/plock

-Geoff

Re: New jEmplode prerelease can download using HiJack - 28/02/2002 19:25

My apologies, then. I did not realize that you didn't hook into the GINA. Then of course your program wouldn't have any of the problems I encountered with other GINA hooks. Sorry, hope I didn't scare anyone away.