Land Rover (Defender) install a good idea?

Posted by: dap2

Land Rover (Defender) install a good idea? - 11/09/2005 19:34

Hi all,
Has anyone installed an Empeg in a Land Rover Defender? And while I'm on the subject - what would be the consequence of mounting an Empeg vertically (i.e. pointing straight up?) - one of the favoured mounting positions for a head unit in a Defender is in a box between the driver and passenger, pointing straight up.
Thanks,
Andrew.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Land Rover (Defender) install a good idea? - 11/09/2005 19:55

Mounting vertically is NOT an option. The internal HD mounts for the empeg need to be within a few degrees of horizontal to do their thing (vibration isolation etc..).

If mounted vertically, the drive tray may eventually come loose, with possible catastrophic results.

Cheers
Posted by: dap2

Re: Land Rover (Defender) install a good idea? - 11/09/2005 19:58

Doh! Of course - thanks.

Andrew.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Land Rover (Defender) install a good idea? - 11/09/2005 22:31

Of course It could be modified to work if you're feeling adventurous. I think the biggest problem would be the drive tray coming off of the rubber mounts because of the vertical stress. If you replaced the mounts with something more rigid...say a tube-like spacer with a bolt through and a nut with loctite, you could probably get it to work.

I wouldn't risk it though
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Land Rover (Defender) install a good idea? - 12/09/2005 00:41

A friend of mine has his empeg mounted vertically in the arm rest between the two front seats. It works, for now. But wow, I really have to get him to move it; to the glovebox if nothing else.