RaspberryPi display extender

Posted by: tonyc

RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 15:48

I stumbled on this while searching for empeg remote display projects. Not sure how easily it could be adapted to other displays for in-car use, but it certainly looks promising.

Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 15:58

Perfect! Now people no longer need to tailgate me to see what I'm listening to smile
Reminds me of this.
Posted by: pca

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 16:18

Ha. That's funny, I was going to post about the display a friend of mine had built using one of my spare RPIs, and you beat me to it!

It looks much nicer now that he's painted it black and tweaked the code. We had it at the Bristol Raspberry Pi Jam last month. He still needs to get the 2BPP grey level working, but claims it's only a matter of time...

It uses a modified kernel broadcasting the frame buffer data from the empeg over UDP, and a receiver program on one or more Pi units that takes the data in, reformats it appropriately, and drives the display.

Pca

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 16:27

Yeah, it just happens to be an itch I need to scratch at the moment, as even the display extender requires you to mount the somewhat bulky display + receiver unit somewhere. Obviously there's still the matter of button input, but that's a tractable problem.

Hopefully he gets the time to post some more details, kernel patches, etc. at some point. Can the RPi deal with the random power losses that happen with in-car use?
Posted by: pca

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 17:03

The RPI can barely cope with the random power fluctuations caused by using it, in my experience wink That said, with a suitable 5v PSU it should be OK.

He's working on implementing buttons, we're thinking of making a giant size empeg front panel as a scale model, with working buttons and rotary knob. He really wanted to make the thing twice the size, but that would have been silly. A little over a meter wide, on the other hand, is perfectly normal smile

pca

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 17:28

It's awesome that you guys are doing this stuff. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it all comes together.

Shine on, you crazy diamonds!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 20:17

*BOGGLE*
Posted by: mlord

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 17/09/2012 21:00

Originally Posted By: pca
He's working on implementing buttons

Has he ever seen the Hijack web interface with the .css stuff added? It already does all of that, and using bits of it could save him some effort.

Cheers
Posted by: andym

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 18/09/2012 20:37

Originally Posted By: pca
The RPI can barely cope with the random power fluctuations caused by using it, in my experience wink

That's interesting, mine is bordering on unusable due to stuck keys. It's apparently a power thing.
Posted by: mlord

Re: RaspberryPi display extender - 12/10/2012 16:56

The power requirements are low enough you ought to be able to solve the "power fluctuation" issues with a suitably large capacitor on the (12V) input to the (buck) 12DC-to-5VDC power supply (pre-made circuits on eBay for under $2 delivered).

Or maybe run it off a rechargeable Lion battery that charges from the 12V car supply?