High Speed Menu Navigation

Posted by: snoopstah

High Speed Menu Navigation - 08/05/2002 04:37

Nice as it is to have the nice smooth scrolling menu choices, when you are, for instance, scrolling through playlists (which I have organised by artist, and hence have 40-50 top-level items), it would be nice to not have to wait for the scrolling, so it would instead flick from one to another, making it much easier to read in the car.

Could this be a configurable emplode option?

I realise I can use the remote control letters to jump to the right letter in the list, but I hate using the remote when driving. I also realise that I can do, say, left 5 times and the down twice to play a certain artist without having to wait for the scroll, but that only works if I know how many presses away an artist actually is.

Cheers,

A.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 08/05/2002 12:29

Yet another thread asking for this feature...

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 08/05/2002 14:11

Hmm.. I searched for it, too. Don't know how I missed that thread. Oh well, sorry for repeating, guys!

Cheers,

A.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 08/05/2002 15:40

(which I have organised by artist, and hence have 40-50 top-level items)

A somewhat inelegant way of handling this is to take your top-level items and subdivide it, i.e., "Artists A-E"; "Artists F-J", "Artists "K-O", etc. This will reduce the number of keypresses to drill down to where you want to be, but adds complexity to the overall playlist.

On my player, I can't get to a song without going through "Playlists", "Classical", "Composers A-G", "[composer name]", "[album name]", and then finally "[song title]". It's a bit cumbersome, but it is fast.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 08/05/2002 17:16

I wasn't harping on you repeating, I just wanted to let it be known that this is a rather often-requested addition to the software. I'd like to see it too.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 01:07

Oh, OK, Cool.

I did think about rearranging my playlist structure, but I like it the way it is. I usually just end up stabbing the button 5-10 times, waiting for the display to scroll, and repeating till I get where I want to be, at the moment.

Cheers,

A.
Posted by: Taym

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 02:45

I think I'd like this too. Maybe an option in emnplode would be nice:

Enable Menu Animation: ON - OFF.

As simple as that.

P.S.: we have the same car. Just wanted to say that.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 03:00

In reply to:

Enable Menu Animation: ON - OFF.

That's exactly what I had in mind - keep it an option for the people who like it or don't really mind.

In reply to:

P.S.: we have the same car. Just wanted to say that.

Heh, cool! I love mine, it's nippy (for a low-insurance group car), fun, and looks so much better than all the other small cars on the market (except my Mum's Lupo GTI ). It feels bigger and more sophisticated too - and not many cars that size come with two DIN slots!

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 03:05

I'm telling you, I'm soo happy with my polo. I agree, it's small, but stylish, reliable, high quality. No comparison with others in its segment. What version do you have? I have 1.4 16v, Highline. Black.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 04:36

You use different naming over there than we do - we don't have 'highline' as such. Mine's 1.4, it's theoretically 16v, but not a lot is made of that. Mine's the 75bhp version. They do a '16v' marketed model here which is the 100bhp version - I imagine that's what you have... I'd have liked that, but the insurance would have been too high (20 years old).

Mine's the 'SE' classification, which comes with central locking, 14" alloy wheels, and sunroof, although I got mine with AirCon instead of sunroof. It's Silver.

I'm looking at getting the windows tinted soon, but I can't find any decent places online that reply to my e-mails.

Cheers,

A.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 04:49

Yes, well, I underlined 16v for no particular reason. They're all 16v and actually they don't make much of it here, either.
We have two configurations: comfort line and highline. The latter is the richest in optionals and so on. Both come in two sub-versions: 75 Hp and 103 Hp. I have the highline 75Hp too. It's "full optional" except sunroof and satellite navigation system. I wish I got a sunroof, though. At the time I tought I did not need one, but I changed my mind.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 06:27

That sounds pretty similar to mine then... there were a few options I didn't get on mine though - ESP traction control, leather seats, satnav, and some other things - but it's pretty well specced. I never miss the sunroof - aircon is worth much more, in my opinion.

Cheers,

A.

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 07:22

Did you really have leather interiors as an option? I didn't. I wouldn't have got that anyway. I personally hate leather interiors And I agree, AC is great. VW Climatronic is works amazingly well, I think... The only thing I hate in my Polo are the seat handles (those that you use to access the back seats - I have a 3-door version): they simply come out extremely easily!

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 09/05/2002 07:30

Yeah, leather was an option, but climatronic wasn't! I've got to adjust the fan speed/temp by hand (oh my god)

I've never had any problem with the seat handles falling out on my three door though...

Cheers,

A.
Posted by: frog51

Re: High Speed Menu Navigation - 15/05/2002 02:28

Talking of slight VW glitches - I used to drive VW's but I kept losing windows. The electric window mechanism is nice and strong, but the clips holding the glass onto the mechanism are quite brittle plastic, and when they snap the windows vanishes into the door with a whoosh!

Last time that happened it had just started raining and I had to take the door apart, push the window back up and travel 800 miles with it duct taped to the roof of the car.

Tell you what - duct tape rocks!